• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AT&T uverse connection problems 2wire>router>Xbox

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ace331

I am having a problem getting my xbox to connect to Xbox Live using AT&T uverse. If I plug the ethernet cord directly from the 2wire gateway into the xbox, it connects no problem. But when I plug the 2 wire into a d-link router and then into the Xbox it can connect to the network, but not the internet. My computer works fine when plugged into the d-link. When I goto to test the connection through the xbox it tells me my DNS settings may be off. I follow the steps it gives me to enter it manually but that does not work. Also, when I run ipconfig /all it shows the DNS as the ip for the 2wire, shouldnt it show the IP for the d-link? I am also not able to login to the d-link settings from my computer using the ip address. Any suggestions on how I can access my d-link settings(need to encrypt it) and get it to recognize that the xbox is connected?

ETA - The AT&T router is plugged into a LAN port on the D-Link and not the WAN. Not sure if that makes a difference.

Thanks,

Mark.

Last edited:
Also, whenever I restart my computer, it doesn't recognize that the router is connected to the 2wire gateway at first. I am able to login to my d-link settings. But after about 3 minutes it connects to the gateway and I am no longer able to access my routers settings and it no longer shows up in my Network and Sharing Center. It seems like the 2wire router is taking over my D-link.

Just type your router's model into Google and a manual should pop up.

UPnP is Universal Plug and Play and your game console uses it to connect to the internet. One time I purchased a Cisco production router with all of the bells and whistles but it did not support UPnP so I returned it and went back to my seemingly 8-year-old router as well.

Brian

Just type your router's model into Google and a manual should pop up.

UPnP is Universal Plug and Play and your game console uses it to connect to the internet. One time I purchased a Cisco production router with all of the bells and whistles but it did not support UPnP so I returned it and went back to my seemingly 8-year-old router as well.

Brian

I've used this router before for my xbox/pc with no problems, but with a different internet company. I just recently switched to AT&T uverse interent and ran into the above problems.

U-Verse has to be set up for a router behind router setting.

May i ask why you're using such an old router instead of the U-Verse gateway?

My computer/xbox are in a different room then the gateway. There is no connection in this room for the gateway to be hooked up. So instead of have multiple cables run from the gateway to pc/xbox, i have one cat 5 cable running from gateway to my router which is right next to pc/xbox.

How do you setup a router behind router?

I can't remember right off the top of my head. If you're not using that one router for every connection though, than it won't work very well. I can't remember all the specifics though.

Best option is something like one of these though. A simple switch, that way UPnP and all that good stuff will all be handled by the gateway instead of by two routers. If you are interested in trying router behind router, just google "AT&T U-Verse router behind router" and you should get a guide that'll do the trick.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...93&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=20

All you have to do is enable the router's 'bridge' setting which disables NAT and DHCP and only performs the job of a switch - connect hosts to the main router.

You have multiple issues here.

#1) Double-NAT: Your 2wire gateway is running a DCHP/DNS server and handling routing. Your D-Link is also functioning as a router. You need to connect to the D-Link (disconnect the D-Link router from the gateway) via static IP and change some settings. On the D-Link, change the IP of that router to a static address in your IP range but outside of DHCP (IE: if your network is 192.168.1.x, set the D-Link router to 192.168.1.253). If you can find a setting for static IP in the D-Link, change it there to 192.168.1.253. Also, turn off SPI/firewall, DHCP, and DNS if you can in the router. I'm not familiar with D-Link, but if there's a toggle between DNS server & DNS forwarder, change it to forwarder. There may be some other settings for disabling firewall & routing functions on the D-Link. You want to set it up in access point (AP) mode only, so it's not conflicting with the 2Wire gateway.

#2) Power-cycle the D-Link after making the changes above. You should no longer have a double-NAT situation at this point. Try connecting the XBox. You may need to set it to DMZ on the 2Wire but it's likely not necessary. Do NOT set the D-Link router to DMZ+ mode on the 2wire as it will not handle routing given the changes made in step #1 ("DMZ+" is bridge mode for UVerse).

#3) If your UVerse set-top boxes were installed with cable (not ethernet) you can connect the XBox to the ethernet port of the set-top box and it will interface with the gateway directly. This configuration is "unsupported" but it works fine.

Alternatively, ditch the D-Link altogether and pickup a Netgear Prosafe switch (GS105 or GS108) as it will filter the multicast from the TV channels (cheap switches will not filter properly). Connect the switch to a LAN port on your 2Wire gateway & your PC/other devices to the switch. Easy.

Back