• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Athlon 64 Mobile DTR compatability

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Biggles 266

So I have a dead laptop. It's got an Athlon 64 3000 Mobile in it, a DTR with BEX5AR stepping from memory. Now due to insurance reasons, which I was able to claim on, I have the opportunity to spend some credit in a certain high street store. The only decent-ish Socket 754 motherboard they had was the ECS nForce3-A, so I was considering getting it and dumping my DTR in it.

Thing is, I know not every board was capable of running the mobiles. OK, so the chances of someone on here being able to confirm compatability is slim, but I'd like to know what motherboards can run these chips. I know the DFI nForce3 250 GB was, but that's about it.

This worth the risk do you think?

P.S. I'm cross posting this on a couple of different forums that I frequent in the hope of getting a good response.

Nobody got any input?

Having opened the laptop up tonight I can confirm that it is indeed an AMA3000BEX5AR, 0411 UPMW.

Bump

I can't believe nobody here has any input. I'll try posting in the Motherboard section as well.

Might have to pester Gautam by PM...

Biggles 266 said:
I can't believe nobody here has any input. I'll try posting in the Motherboard section as well.

Might have to pester Gautam by PM...
Hrmm...I wish I had a definite answer for you...though the list of boards that fail to post with them is probably about the same length as that of the ones that do. The SiS based ECS works for sure, as Ivan noted. There are a couple of SiS based boards that do, in fact. If I had to take a guess, extrapolating from that, I'd say the nForce3 variant probably does work, but no guarantees. I have a feeling that someting inherent in the SiS chipset lets pretty much any mobo work with the DTRs. The nForce3 seems to need specific instructions in the BIOS to allow it. Which makes it rather inconclusive. Odds are probably over 50% though, so you might as well just try it and return it if it doesn't work. Sorry I don't have a better answer. :shrug:

Although I had to pay for it myself insteading of using store credit, I bought a DFI UT NF3 board instead. One came up on another forum and I thought it a far better choice. Would have just been rather too much hassle if the ECS board wasn't compatible and since I already had a processor, it seemed that the lesser of two evils was to buy a better board rather than another processor.

Overclocking is quite far down the list of priorities for this machine, it working is the main concern. However in the interests of passing on anything I discover, I will post my results at least.

Thanks for the input.

Back