• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Athlon II x3 455 unlocked!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Spongey

I'm new to this website, and kinda have a small knowledge base about computers and have a few questions on my unlocked Athlon II x3 455..

So with my cpu unlocked to the Phenom II x4 b55. Windows loads, everything seems fine. I understand that my HWmonitor core temps are inaccurate with an unlocked processor in the case they are reading 55c(Idle). The Delta for socket/core temps is 10c(Idle) and 6c(Prime 95 Load) with 3 cores. So, I have Power Now/c1e disabled in BIOS and Performance mode for power settings in windows.

However, while running Prime 95 with 4 cores as soon as HWmonitor shows 70c Core Temps my computer is throttled to 800mhz x 4 til it drops down to 65c. Is this due to Hardware Thermal Control Limit(which is set to 70c) reading those faulty core sensors? My CPU socket temp is roughly 43c when I get downclocked and I never get to really check to make sure the 4th core is stable.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

sorry, thought entering my system information would show on post..couldn't find the signature option..

Athlon II x3 455 3.3ghz
Biostar A880g+
Wintec AMPX DDR3 1333mhz 2x2gb
Antec Earthwatts EA500D

HWMonitor from CPUID unless it has changed should n0t or did not show any core temps when cpu was unlocked. Used to show 0c or should. That is because when in unlocked mode the core temp sensor inside the cpu is disabled. Disabled cpu temp sensor has always resulted in 0c when I looked in HWMonitor. All that as it was, would condition me to paying absoutely no attention to anything shown in core temps when using HWMonitor or any other temp monitoring software for core temperatures and the cpu in *unlocked mode*.

Last edited:
sorry, thought entering my system information would show on post..couldn't find the signature option..

Athlon II x3 455 3.3ghz
Biostar A880g+
Wintec AMPX DDR3 1333mhz 2x2gb
Antec Earthwatts EA500D

Takes about 5 posts before you have privilege to access the "Sig" feature. Its anti spam precaution.

Usually, but not always, HWMonitor and Coretemp will show "0" when cores are unlocked. Sometimes it will show another value but whatever it shows its typically static. You certainly are getting a strange effect with the throttling.

What do TMPIN0 and TMPIN1 show in HWMonitor under full load? One of those is probably the CPU socket temp which is what the throttler keys off of, not core temp.

What are you cooling that CPU with? Stock OEM cooler or an aftermarket goody?

It's def showing 55c (Idle) with the 4th core unlocked, but my CPU socket temp is reading 31c (Idle). I know Idle temps aren't much to go on.

Locked Athlon II x3 455:
Socket CPU Temp: 49c (Load)
Core Temp: 42c (Load)

Unlocked Phenom II x4 B55:
Socket CPU Temp: 32c (Idle) / 54c (Load)
Core Temp: 55c (Idle) / 80+ (Load)

So I went ahead and disabled HTC Limit(Hardware Thermal Control) and ran Prime95 for a little bit. My CPU socket temp was hovering around 53-54c so I figured the core temps was about 48c from subtracting the Delta. With my understanding, some people get no readings at all with unlocked cpu's and some people get crazy numbers like I am getting. The HTC Limit was the culprit that was downclocking my cpu. I guess since it's still getting a reading from the faulty core temps, the computer is downclocking to save my cpu from TJMAX. It's a little scary watching those numbers climb to the upper 80's. I only ran Prime95 for about 20 mins. No errors/bsod..

I know I'm still not out of the woods, and I didn't purchase the cpu thinking I had a Quad. I had no idea the cpu I bought had the chance to have 1 more core. It's just a big bonus if it happens to unlock and be stable.

Unfortunatly, I haven't purchased an aftermarket HSF yet. That is in the ta-do list for payday. Although my x3 LOAD temps are pretty close to those using Hyper 212+ with the cpu I have.

Just to add.. HWmonitor shows

THRM:
CPU:
TIMPIN2:

The THRM and CPU temps are always the same. Pretty sure CPU is the motherboard socket temp, and maybe THRM is an ambient temp reading, idk.

"CPU" would be the motherboard socket temp. Fortunately, HWmonitor labels it as such in your case when it often doesn't and there's a little bit of guess work many times as to which TMPINx is the socket temp sensor. Yours must be in HWMonitor's data base.

At any rate you definitely need to invest in an aftermarket heatsink before you do any overclocking.

Is it normal for unlocked processors to need Hardware Thermal Control disabled in order to not downclock to 800mhz x 4? and is it safe to disable this feature?

Will there be instability before the cpu fries itself due to high temps?

I'm def gonna invest in a decent HSF. The big issue is with that is my motherboard. I've heard the hyper 212+ has issues fitting on my motherboard because of the location of RAM.

Are there any other comparable HSF out there, because all I see people recommending is the Hyper 212+..

CPUs will be stable at higher temps when not overclocked than will their overclocked counterparts.

Both the motherboard and some of the newer AMD CPU's each have their own separate down-throttling thermal control mechanisms so if the motherboard one is disabled in bios the other could still be active.

If you haven't done so you need to disable Cool N Quiet and C1E. Then go into Windows Control Panel and make sure the Power Options are set to High Performance.

I would be surprised if the Hyper 212+ would have clearance issues with your ram on any board as the ram you have I don't believe has a high rise heatsink, does it? Clearance issues with ram usually are only a problem when you have big fins sticking up from the ram. Get the Hyper 212+ Evo instead of the older version of the Hyper 212+. The Evo is a little more efficient.

I have c1e and Power Now disabled. I haven't found CnQ, and from what i've read Power Now is the equal.

My RAM doesn't have big fins so I might be good. Although I am using a mATX case so I will have to take out the ruler. lol. I'll figure it all out.

Thanks for the help

My RAM doesn't have big fins so I might be good. Although I am using a mATX case so I will have to take out the ruler. lol. I'll figure it all out.

Thanks for the help

If you plan on getting the Hyper 212+ or any tower-style cooler with 120 mm fan realize they all will need a case of at least 8" wide to provide clearance to the side panel. That's 8" outside measurement across the top.

vgot2p.jpg

So I just fiddled around with a few things and dropped my vcore to 1.32 instead of 1.37. Also added another fan..well a delta fan to blow a stream line down the middle of the case. This is temporary and it has dropped my temps by 3c at load with 4th core unlocked.

As you can see, my core temps are showing with the unlocked Athlon II x3 455, but they def don't seem accurate to me. that was about 10 mins of prime and the CPU socket temp was hovering from 49-52c. Seems fine to me for having stock heatsink/fan. I will be getting an aftermarket soon to replace.

Question. I have noticed this before but if you look at my VIN4 the voltage changes and I have no idea whats making that happen. Any ideas?

UPDATE:
Still running prime now and no errors yet. temps still going between 49-52c. 4th core def seems to be stable so far, but I gotta go ways to go. Not really gonna push it until I get aftermarket HSF

vgot2p.jpg

So I just fiddled around with a few things and dropped my vcore to 1.32 instead of 1.37. Also added another fan..well a delta fan to blow a stream line down the middle of the case. This is temporary and it has dropped my temps by 3c at load with 4th core unlocked.

As you can see, my core temps are showing with the unlocked Athlon II x3 455, but they def don't seem accurate to me. that was about 10 mins of prime and the CPU socket temp was hovering from 49-52c. Seems fine to me for having stock heatsink/fan. I will be getting an aftermarket soon to replace.

Question. I have noticed this before but if you look at my VIN4 the voltage changes and I have no idea whats making that happen. Any ideas?

UPDATE:
Still running prime now and no errors yet. temps still going between 49-52c. 4th core def seems to be stable so far, but I gotta go ways to go. Not really gonna push it until I get aftermarket HSF

-hi..i got the same issue here..we have the same cpu and mine's after downloading the latest bios from Asus site, my temp went beyond what's expected..a whopping 80-90C when windows desktop loaded up...

-my multiplier won't change at full load (800MHz x 4) on all cores and noticed my Vcore changed to 1.12. Any resolution on this? Thanks!

Spongey, are you still using the stock cooler? If so, you can expect your core temps to be about 3c warmer than your CPU socket temp. When you unlock cores you lose the ability to accurately monitor core temps. Typically, they will show "0" c so I don't know why yours is showing those high numbers.

Spongey, are you still using the stock cooler? If so, you can expect your core temps to be about 3c warmer than your CPU socket temp. When you unlock cores you lose the ability to accurately monitor core temps. Typically, they will show "0" c so I don't know why yours is showing those high numbers.

Hi Sir Trents!

your thoughts on this?

I tried changing the CPU and NB Voltage to 1.35, ran prime95 got an error after test2 for the 2nd core, tried running default voltage which is 1.475, windows desktop loaded with idle temp of 26-30C. unlocked the 4th core, checked the CPU and NB Voltage: 1.475 then went to the Power Tab in the BIOS, Vcore reads 1.116v, i got confused that the Vcore didn't change automatically like what happened with the tricore, when I'm using tricore, CPU/NB Voltage and Vcore are almost identical @ 1.475 and 1.464 respectively. i tried booting to windows then after a minute, core temp opened and temp reached 79C so i manually shut down the system using the power button because again, i got freaked out. i tried to change the Vcore under the Power Tab however, i'm not getting the same option as the CPU/NB Voltage, all i have is "ignored / 1.116" so i decided to relock the 4th core, ran tricore and ran prime95 for almost 2 hours, so far no errors (hope it stays that way)

@ *cReed eRos*311, it is not polite to hijack someone else's thread when you have your 'own' still in place and working. "trents" does his best to get around to helping all that maybe helped. He is out and busy otherwise right now but will see "your" thread later.

@ *cReed eRos*311, it is not polite to hijack someone else's thread when you have your 'own' still in place and working. "trents" does his best to get around to helping all that maybe helped. He is out and busy otherwise right now but will see "your" thread later.

@ RGone...sorry my bad sir:bang head:( may be i'm just overeager to resolve this issue of mine. Thanks for the heads up:salute:

Alternately, you can PM any specific forum member if you're looking for an answer from them in particular. Pretty well guaranteed to get a response and keeps with forum etiquette. ;)

Back