• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Athlon XP 2500

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The NF7-S with the mobile 2500 was legendary. It was my first hotrod, and it pretty much set the bar for what we have today, at least that's my opinion. There were others that made pretty good boards too, but abit made it headache free. Too bad they dropped the ball on nf4, and the rest is history.. I fed a tbred 2600 wich didn't scale well, and a 2500 mobile that scaled like crazy quite a bit if voltage during the winter months, with fans everywhere inside the case lol. I enjoy the silence these days :)
I will be seeing how much more I can get out of it if the weather would ever cooperate & get cold down here.

Take it from a pro, (Mr.Scott) and a noob (me) Never go over 50 with those A's.
It's how I killed my Duron, (Mr.Scott remembers ;) )

Even with Arctic Silver 5, my Duron today still goes to 52 under full load (maybe I didn't put enough on?)... That's still pushing my already damaged chip.
Thanks for that 50 number, I was kind of wondering what the upper limit was.

Dan

Thanks for that 50 number, I was kind of wondering what the upper limit was.

Dan

Don't thank me, thank Mr.Scott! :)

Mr.Scott has lots of experience with these A's, he'd be the best guy to get advice from. :D

Let us know what the highest OC you get is, I'm interested to know : )

NICE:clap: The 60sec, 20ms was that the actual time of the run?

Yes, did it in the time shown.

I know if I went back I could do better and may try it one of these days. That run was done on air and since I have watercooling available for it now, that should help things when I try it.

Take Mr. Scott's advice - Try the VDD mod and see what it does. I can promise you it's worth the effort.

Yes, did it in the time shown.

I know if I went back I could do better and may try it one of these days. That run was done on air and since I have watercooling available for it now, that should help things when I try it.

Take Mr. Scott's advice - Try the VDD mod and see what it does. I can promise you it's worth the effort.
So does that mean with that freq. it gets so hot real quick that it has to be shut down that fast?

I did look into the VDD pencil mod & found a good explanation of it. I just have to find someone to help me with it because of my shaky hands. wife :confused:

So does that mean with that freq. it gets so hot real quick that it has to be shut down that fast?

If you're assuming the time shown is how long it ran until it had to be shutdown, no - That's not it.
That's simply how long it took to complete the computation of that particular bench.

With higher frequencies you do get more heat generated since it takes more voltage to get there but that doesn't mean the system has to be shutdown immediately. You will see a spike in CPU temps once the bench begins to run = When the CPU begins doing work and that's natural, something you'll see even at stock settings.

The thing here is how high do temps get while the system is under load.

Your cooling used, voltage used along with other factors all figures into the final result of where your temps wind up being. Also know great temps at idle are meaningless, temps under load tells the story.
Here's the other run with that chip on air so you can see I didn't have to shut it down right away: http://hwbot.org/submission/850844_bones_wprime___1024m_athlon_xp_m_2800__2298sec_750ms

As long as temps don't get too high while the bench is running it can keep going and that's the whole thing about it - Keeping temps under control while the system is under load/doing work.

If you're assuming the time shown is how long it ran until it had to be shutdown, no - That's not it.
That's simply how long it took to complete the computation of that particular bench.

With higher frequencies you do get more heat generated since it takes more voltage to get there but that doesn't mean the system has to be shutdown immediately. You will see a spike in CPU temps once the bench begins to run = When the CPU begins doing work and that's natural, something you'll see even at stock settings.

The thing here is how high do temps get while the system is under load.

Your cooling used, voltage used along with other factors all figures into the final result of where your temps wind up being. Also know great temps at idle are meaningless, temps under load tells the story.
Here's the other run with that chip on air so you can see I didn't have to shut it down right away: http://hwbot.org/submission/850844_bones_wprime___1024m_athlon_xp_m_2800__2298sec_750ms

As long as temps don't get too high while the bench is running it can keep going and that's the whole thing about it - Keeping temps under control while the system is under load/doing work.
That is very interesting, thanks for taking the time to explain. Great OC.

DFI LP Ultra B
DFI Ultra Infinity
Abit AN7
Abit NF7-S

These are the cream of the crop for socket A. I still have all of them. :D

Have to add one to that list.

Epox 8rda+ especially the rev 2 and 3+ boards with the new 400 fsb capabilities. Took a 1700 Tbred to 2400 on air and 2500 on water prime stable.

Those were the good old days.

Epox 8rda+ especially the rev 2 and 3+ boards with the new 400 fsb capabilities. Took a 1700 Tbred to 2400 on air and 2500 on water prime stable.

Nice! :thup:

Shame I can't get my Duron stable past 1 Ghz anymore...

I have one of those too. Only reason I didn't put it in the list is because of the Epox 'sudden death' syndrome. It made it not so reliable....still a good clocker, just no where near as durable as the others. I attribute that syndrome to Epox's demise in the industry.

Back