• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Athlon XP 2700+ thoroughbred too hot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Aquilae

can someone suggest a good cpu heatsink/fan for this processor
(not overclocked)? It's been idling at around 135f using a generic radioshack hsf, and peaks around 160 when under load. right now i have a jery-rigged thermaltake heatsink with a larger radio shack fan screwed onto it, which is keeping it at around 125 (still too high). i already have 2 case fans and even running with my case open and a desk fan pointed at it doesn't help more than a degree or two.

im looking for something in the 20-25$ range, as cool as possible, and maybe as loud or just slightly louder than a normal case fan (the original fan on the thermaltake was like a freakin' banshee). a specific model/link would be nice (not just "get a thermalawesome hsf, they're awesome!"). cheap shipping would be a plus too.

get a thermalawesome hsf, they're awesome!:D

i will probably get flamed for saying this, but i would suggest the thermaltake volcano7+ for 17.99 (plus 5.00 shipping)from newegg, its solid copper, comes with a fan with three speed settings (quiet, semi-quiet if you have a thick case, and "OMG!!! thats your computer making that noise!!")

unless case-mod gets more thermalright alx800s in for 9.99, they are out of stock right now, but if they come back before the sale is over it would be a little bit better of a hs, paired with a panaflo m1a or h1a

most of thermaltakes hsfs suck pretty bad, but i own three of the volcano 7+ (never to be confused with the volcano 7) they are good hsfs for the money, unless you catch a sale on a thermalright. i "upgraded" to a thermalright slk900a and it was not worth the money imho, with the same 50cfm 92mm fan (i had my v7+ modded) i got maby a 2c improvment with the thermalright, but 2c is 2c to an overclocker:D

and all of those parts are brackets to mount to both a p4 and amd setup, you dont use them all. its really pretty straight forward when your holding the hsf in your hands

First the volcano 7+ is a pertty good deal , all the doo-dads are for dif setup's ( it works for both intel and AMD )

and second that compound works good , droped my temps 6'C on my system in my sig

Welcome To The Forum

sounds good, ordered it. their two day shipping is a ***** though, 20$.

Back