• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ATI Catalyst 12.10 Screwup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ctag

Hi,

I've been having some issues with F@H on my computer (this thread). As part of fixing the issue, I tried installing the 12.10 driver for my system, upgrading from 12.8.

The installer for 12.10 crashed several times. I then proceeded to try to manually uninstall 12.8 and either reinstall it or install 12.10 again. I've used CCleaner, Driver Sweeper, and deleted several registry keys along the way (have backup).

Now it appears that I have 12.10 installed, but I've lost the AMD Catalyst Control Center... So I can't really tell...

I'm not sure why AMD/ATI drivers are always such a huge hassle for me :( But they are.

I can't simply reinstall Windows 7 (as much as I'd love watching it burn under a reformat) because all of the drives on my system are encrypted, and just the thought of having to manually decrypt every drive over an entire week, backup all 3Tb of data, and reinstall Windows just to see if it might work makes me shudder..

Is there any way to fully remove all ATI drivers for my two cards, and then reinstall them? I'm completely at a loss with this.

If I've left out any important logs or information, please tell me and I'll do my best to post it :)

Thanks,

I had an issue with my ATi drivers recently. I installed the 12.11 beta and that ruined my folding ability. Anyway, I was recommended to use a program called Atiman Uninstaller 7.0.2. I will tell you that the Atiman Uninstaller acts of its own accord and looks to do horrible things to your computer. At one point it told me something wasn't bootable. I decided to trust it was the amd drivers to which it was referring. Everything worked out in the end. I am using 12.8 right now and folding strong with my 5770. Link to my thread if interested: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=720491

Thanks for the reply!

Sooo.. Are you suggesting the atiman? :-/

Yes I am. It worked for me. Give it the time it needs to do its work a few minutes per boot. It reboots 1-3 times. It was a couple of weeks ago.

Awesome, will do.

Edit:
Okay, I ran atiman 7.0.2.
It says my computer isn't bootable. But it did seem to obliterate ATI...

Thanks!

Last edited:
Rebooted. Tried installing the drivers again, and I still don't have ATI Catalyst anymore.. It looks like the 12.10 installer was able to install the 9.002 display driver, and that was it.

I'm going to take another run with atiman, and then see what the 12.8 installer does... Also, I have an old copy of 12.8, but I can't seem to find it anywhere online...

Edit:
Tried the 12.8 installer, got the same error, still no CCC, but there does seem to be a driver installed.

Another Edit:
After rebooting (with glorious BSOD), the CCC magically showed back up in my system tray... Cool! Apparently I can only have it with 12.8...

Thanks,

Last edited:
I have had issues with every driver from 12.4 upwards I have been on the 12.3's sicne launch and they work wonders with my card but I wanted to update to a more modern one as some had tweaks to the likes of Diablo 3 etc. I used driver sweeper (now driver fusion) and removed allreg entries and folders rebooted and went to install 12.10.

No driver from 12.4 to 12.10 would save the pixel settings always kept returning back to standard RGB format and colours where awful on my HTDV far to bright. In the end I decided I needed to do a format because I wanted to test out a SP1 slipstrem copy of my Win 7 Ult 64bit edition anyway, Luckily I was doing that fresh install otherwise I wouldnt have bothered 12.10's seem stable with my games but 12.4/6/8 all crashed after 5 mins of playing any game.

Rebooted. Tried installing the drivers again, and I still don't have ATI Catalyst anymore.. It looks like the 12.10 installer was able to install the 9.002 display driver, and that was it.

I'm going to take another run with atiman, and then see what the 12.8 installer does... Also, I have an old copy of 12.8, but I can't seem to find it anywhere online...

Edit:
Tried the 12.8 installer, got the same error, still no CCC, but there does seem to be a driver installed.

Another Edit:
After rebooting (with glorious BSOD), the CCC magically showed back up in my system tray... Cool! Apparently I can only have it with 12.8...

Thanks,

That is crazy :screwy: I hope that CCC continues to work for you.

Thanks for the replies!

I'm at a loss.. Now neither of my cards work with Fold@Home..

I feel that the AMD Catalyst Installer program is to blame. Whenever I install 12.8/10, the first thing to happen is an update to the Installer, which fails. Then the rest of the installation happens normally, but I've been getting these screwed up situations afterwards.

Also, I can't uninstall the AMD Catalyst Installer at all, not from the update package, or from Windows Control Panel x( It just gives me an error.

Thanks,

Thanks, Nebulous.

I tried Driver Sweeper a few times, but it seems to get everything except the Catalyst Installer..
I might be trying a program called Driver Fusion in a little bit...

Edit:
I gave up and used System Restore as a last ditch to recover the old drivers. It looks like it worked!
It kills me to not be able to update to the latest and greatest, but from what I've heard browsing around, that's a fairly common predicament.

Thanks for all of the suggestions!

Last edited:
Back