• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Having driver issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

extrabilly

Registered
Hi, I'm having trouble finding drivers for my older video card (Asus EAH4870) that are compatible with Windows 10.
I have a new Dell monitor (S2721HS) and it has a 1" border on the screen.
I've read that I need to go into Catalyst and set the scaling(?) to zero, but I don't have Catalyst and have been unable to find a version that will work.

I have tried several versions (found on the AMD website) for legacy cards like mine, but they do not work, when I launch the program, it says nothing to adjust?

Second issue: I can't get into my motherboards bios. (Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 7)
Tried rapidly pressing Escape or Delete on start up (Megatrends screen flash) but no luck.

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

When you say you're having trouble finding compatible drivers, do you mean that you're having trouble finding drivers that eliminate the problem described below?

How are you connecting the card and the monitor? It looks like the monitor has DP and HDMI inputs while the card outputs to DVI and S-Video. Could it be the adapter? Are you using the HDMI port on the motherboard?

Your motherboard's manual is here https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_ga-z170x-gaming7_e.pdf and indicates that the "Del" key is used to access the bios. You could try pressing F9 and see if it responds to that. Otherwise I'm not sure what's going on, I'm guessing for some reason it's not recognizing the keyboard in time. Maybe try a different keyboard or if you have access to one a PS2 keyboard (not that it should matter on hardware of that generation).

Your motherboard's manual is here https://download.gigabyte.com/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_ga-z170x-gaming7_e.pdf and indicates that the "Del" key is used to access the bios. You could try pressing F9 and see if it responds to that. Otherwise I'm not sure what's going on, I'm guessing for some reason it's not recognizing the keyboard in time. Maybe try a different keyboard or if you have access to one a PS2 keyboard (not that it should matter on hardware of that generation).
Do you have a bluetooth keyboard? I do and have this same issue.

Thanks for the reply's !

Yes, I'm looking for Catalyst / drivers to solve the issue with one inch border on my new monitor.
The monitors are connected to the DVI outputs on the video card, with a DVI to HDMI adapter on one and a DVI to HDMI cable on the other, switching does not make a difference. From what I have read, I need to change a setting (scaling to zero) in Catalyst settings (I don't have or can't get Catalyst)

As far as not being able to get into my set-up (bios) I am using a Logitech wireless keyboard. I've tried rapidly pressing Delete, Escape, and F9 with no luck. I tried unplugging the USB receiver and using a wired USB keyboard without any luck. I don't need to get into the bios right now, but may need access in the future. If I remember correctly I set Fast Boot in the bios when I set things up initially, my boot drive is a Samsung 950 Pro M.2 512GB drive, so things move quickly.

Thanks for the feedback.

Can't get into my bios: Solved

Windows 10, Start menu, Settings, Update & Security, Left menu - Recovery, Advanced Start-up, Restart now. Choose option - Troubleshoot
Advanced options, UEFI Firmware settings, then Restart.
System will restart and enter bios.

What drivers are you running? Do you not have any driver settings? Have you tried adjusting the scaling in windows? Rt click > Display settings > Advanced scaling settings (under scale and layout). I'm pretty sure it won't scale the whole output but it doesn't hurt to try.

Also I did some googling and found this https://www.infopackets.com/news/9652/how-fix-windows-10-black-border-shrinking-screen. You're manually editing the registry so proceed at your own risk. I have no guarantee of the results and it could damage your windows install. Make sure to back up your registry and any important data.

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/gpu-615

The following is a list of graphics products that do not support Windows® 10:

ATI Radeon™ HD 4000 Series /ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 4000 Series Graphics
ATI Radeon™ HD 3000 Series /ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 3000 Series Graphics
ATI Radeon™ HD 2000 Series /ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 2000 Series Graphics
ATI Radeon™ X1### Series/ATI Mobility Radeon™ X1### Series Graphics
ATI Radeon™ X### Series/ATI Mobility Radeon™ X### Series Graphics
ATI Radeon™ 9000 Series Graphics
ATI Radeon™ 8500 Graphics
ATI Radeon™ 7500 Graphics
ATI Radeon™ DDR Graphics
ATI Radeon™ 7000 Graphics