• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ati HD Radeon 4670 Which one for my needs?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

intruder369

I am a bit confused over which one of these Graphic Cards would suit my needs. The are as follows:

Sapphire HD4670 512MB PCI E Ultimate £58.11p

Sapphire 1024Mb ATi Radeon HD 4670 PCI-Express £64.92p

Asus Radeon HD 4670 PCI-E 2.0 HDMI 1GB £67.23p

AXLE ATI RADEON HD 4670 Graphics Card PCI-E 1024 GDDR3 £76.90

My intention is to upgrade my old PC for mainly HD use. So I will be looking for a Graphic Card to use in conjunction with an Asus Xonar HD 1.3 Delux Soundcard which is on my priority list. I am not into gaming so that's not an issue here, I am just looking for something that will give me good HD to use with that soundcard so I can get good use out of my Full HD Monitor and TV.

Now just recently I built a new PC for my Son in Law using an Asus 1024Mb ATi Radeon HD 4350 Silent PCI-E Card which gave some great 1920 x 1080p results on my monitor and TV and this only cost £34. This maybe all I might really need myself, the new Motherboard I am getting only supports DDR2 Memory and I have noticed that the Cards above all have a DDR3 Memory Interface so they probably would not be compatible so I would be grateful for some tips and suggestions.

GDDR3 is on board video memory, it has no relation to your ddr2 system memory. you are right 4350 , might be all you need it's fully capable of 1080p.IF you decide to go with a 4670 for some overhead , 512mb of memory and a cooler with a largest/quietest fan .

I am a bit confused over which one of these Graphic Cards would suit my needs. The are as follows:

Sapphire HD4670 512MB PCI E Ultimate £58.11p

Sapphire 1024Mb ATi Radeon HD 4670 PCI-Express £64.92p

Asus Radeon HD 4670 PCI-E 2.0 HDMI 1GB £67.23p

AXLE ATI RADEON HD 4670 Graphics Card PCI-E 1024 GDDR3 £76.90

My intention is to upgrade my old PC for mainly HD use. So I will be looking for a Graphic Card to use in conjunction with an Asus Xonar HD 1.3 Delux Soundcard which is on my priority list. I am not into gaming so that's not an issue here, I am just looking for something that will give me good HD to use with that soundcard so I can get good use out of my Full HD Monitor and TV.

Now just recently I built a new PC for my Son in Law using an Asus 1024Mb ATi Radeon HD 4350 Silent PCI-E Card which gave some great 1920 x 1080p results on my monitor and TV and this only cost £34. This maybe all I might really need myself, the new Motherboard I am getting only supports DDR2 Memory and I have noticed that the Cards above all have a DDR3 Memory Interface so they probably would not be compatible so I would be grateful for some tips and suggestions.

Go for the Sapphire 1024Mb ATi Radeon HD 4670 PCI-Express £64.92p
Only £6 more than the 512mb one but twice the memory and it's capable of many more than the HD4350 you may want to play games after a year or so, people change, so go for the better choice.

Thanks for the advice chaps, I think perhaps a 1 gig card would be nice and I have just noticed that there is a major difference with the Sapphire 512Mb and the 1024Mb and that is the 1024Mb does not have a HDMI out on it, so that rules that one very much out of the equation. Just been looking at the Axel version which is the most expensive out of them, but cannot find one decent review for it. The Asus version does get good reviews but it's not silent. So the Sapphire 512Mb certainly looking the best of the bunch there for me.

Basically I just want the best there is up to the £100 mark and preferably silent.

Thanks for the advice chaps, I think perhaps a 1 gig card would be nice and I have just noticed that there is a major difference with the Sapphire 512Mb and the 1024Mb and that is the 1024Mb does not have a HDMI out on it, so that rules that one very much out of the equation. Just been looking at the Axel version which is the most expensive out of them, but cannot find one decent review for it. The Asus version does get good reviews but it's not silent. So the Sapphire 512Mb certainly looking the best of the bunch there for me.

Basically I just want the best there is up to the £100 mark and preferably silent.

129$ - LINK a sillent beast ;)
EDIT: It doesn't matter if the card has HDMI output or not, the only thing that matters is that it can reproduce/upscale hd res.
You can buy a hdmi>dvi adapter i have one i connect my xbox to my monitor using it.
EDIT2: bare in mind that the card i gave you (link above) needs a PSU with a 6 pin connector

Last edited:
129$ - LINK a sillent beast ;)
EDIT: It doesn't matter if the card has HDMI output or not, the only thing that matters is that it can reproduce/upscale hd res.
You can buy a hdmi>dvi adapter i have one i connect my xbox to my monitor using it.
EDIT2: bare in mind that the card i gave you (link above) needs a PSU with a 6 pin connector

Thanks for that Mario, that Gigabyte Card looks good. My issue with it having an HDMI output rather than a DVi is down to the fact that the HDMI lead also carries sound down it's cable, where as DVi only carries just the picture. I am not entirely sure how good an Adapter would cope with this. To work in conjunction with the Asus HD 1.3 Delux Soundcard it's very much a case of using an HDMI lead from the output of the Graphic Card into the input on the Soundcard and then another HDMI lead from the output on the Souncard either into the TV or in this case it will be going into the back of my AV Receiver.

To be honest looking at it logically I don't see what the hell sound as got to do with a Graphic Card, but I have just been looking at the Sapphire HD5670 1GB Graphic Card, and apparently it supports the HD Loss-less Sound Formats. I have come across some good reviews for it, and it does not have a power socket to power it. Even though it's got a big fan on it, it's got remarkable results for being extremely silent. I can get one of these for around £97. I'm not quite sure how it measures up against the GIGABYTE GV-R485MC-1GI Radeon HD 4850 1GB in the link you sent me. But the Sapphire HD5670 looks capable of giving me that bit extra over say the Asus HD4350 Silent I used in my Son in Laws PC.

Thanks for that Mario, that Gigabyte Card looks good. My issue with it having an HDMI output rather than a DVi is down to the fact that the HDMI lead also carries sound down it's cable, where as DVi only carries just the picture. I am not entirely sure how good an Adapter would cope with this. To work in conjunction with the Asus HD 1.3 Delux Soundcard it's very much a case of using an HDMI lead from the output of the Graphic Card into the input on the Soundcard and then another HDMI lead from the output on the Souncard either into the TV or in this case it will be going into the back of my AV Receiver.

To be honest looking at it logically I don't see what the hell sound as got to do with a Graphic Card, but I have just been looking at the Sapphire HD5670 1GB Graphic Card, and apparently it supports the HD Loss-less Sound Formats. I have come across some good reviews for it, and it does not have a power socket to power it. Even though it's got a big fan on it, it's got remarkable results for being extremely silent. I can get one of these for around £97. I'm not quite sure how it measures up against the GIGABYTE GV-R485MC-1GI Radeon HD 4850 1GB in the link you sent me. But the Sapphire HD5670 looks capable of giving me that bit extra over say the Asus HD4350 Silent I used in my Son in Laws PC.
Why would you need sound over HDMI?
You can hook up your sound card directly to the TV, no problem ;) .
Well if the HD5670 suits your needs than go for it :p

Last edited:
Why would you need sound over HDMI?
You can hook up your sound card directly to the TV, no problem ;) .
Well if the HD5670 suits your needs than go for it :p

Well if I was gonna be using the sound that comes from my TV, I can assure you I would not even bother spending £189 on the Asus Xonar HD 1.3 Delux Soundcard. That would be a complete waste of money in my opinion. The whole purpose is to get the sound from the Soundcard into my AV Amplifier so my Amp can decode the HD Loss-less Sound Formats such as DTS HD Master and Tru Dolby Digital and play it through my 7.1 AV Sound System.

Back