• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ATi Slash Prices On 3850/70 Cards

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Uhm, no. The 9600GT ranges from $140-$150 depending where you buy it.

9600 vs 3870 might be a tossup, but 9600GT vs 3850? 9600 wins. Not trolling, just a fact..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102714
$142 at newegg for the 256mb. The difference between it and the 512mb is marginal.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814134038
$149 for the 9600gt. Not bad.. but.. its ECS, a cheap brand. Sapphire is at least known to make decent products (all ATI hardware).

http://en.expreview.com/2008/02/23/geforce-9600gt-review/?page=10
On average 15% better than the 3850. It goes both ways too: some times the 9600 wins by far, and sometimes the 3850 wins by far.

Plus, you get the price drop. So... 9600 doesn't always win.

Maybe not always win, but price/performance, it does hold the edge at the moment.

Calling me a troll is uncalled for.

Maybe not always win, but price/performance, it does hold the edge at the moment.

Calling me a troll is uncalled for.

People in the ATI forum were talking about ATI cards, and an ATI price drop, and you suggest a 9600 which is a 'better deal'. We were talking about ATI..

Anyway, its not important. Lets get back on topic.

Like I said at the beginning of the thread, 9600GT wins in DX10 and the 3870 in DX9.

It looks true for Lost planet, but isn't 100% consistent. The 9600gt certainly takes DX10 a little better. But looking at, say , CoJ, the 3850 pulls ahead a little. Same with Crysis. There is no contest in LP though.

Like I said at the beginning of the thread, 9600GT wins in DX10 and the 3870 in DX9.

i have to disagree..i think it all depends on the review site you take your conclusion from...i see reviews where the 3870 stomps the 9600 and is more up with the 8800gt...and then i see reviews where the 9600 barely beats the 3870 but the 3870 wins most of the high res benches. nvidia seems to be good at low res 1024x768..who the hell even runs that res anymore? anyway i prefer ATi atm for that a nice crossfire board is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay cheaper then nvidias sli offerings..i mean 360 for a 790i ROFL w/e...i'll take a x38 for $200 anyday with 3870s...

if i see good 3870's for 160 upfront none of that gay rebate crap...i have to splurge on one!!

This generation of mid-range is exactly what the industry needed. I don't pay much attention to review sites, but I have real world experience with the 3850, 3870, and the 8800GT in my sig box and all of them are just fantastic cards. Even the lowest ranked 3850 was pulling it's weight in everything I was playing. It should be noted though that I don't play Crysis as I think it's a piece but everything else was running great. :)

People in the ATI forum were talking about ATI cards, and an ATI price drop, and you suggest a 9600 which is a 'better deal'. We were talking about ATI..

Anyway, its not important. Lets get back on topic.

Wow. Such hostility.. You are obviously an ATI fanboy, and should perhaps add something along those lines to your sig. Before someone makes a mistake and buys a 3850, they should at least know that the 9600GT is a better value for the money. If saying such makes me a troll, I'll just go hide under my bridge.

as previously stated to 3850 holds it's own in some tests. Also Avivo/UVD > PurevideoHD, and there really is more to life than gaming.

Also, output quality is still better on ati cards in both 2d and 3d. Yes the 8800s are better than nvidias used to be, but the ati cards still put a clearer, sharper picture on the screen (especial for those still using CRTs, the ramdacs are better)

gaming performance the 9600gt is a steal, and the 8800gt512 is really good too, but there is more to consider for some people

Jeff

Wow. Such hostility.. You are obviously an ATI fanboy, and should perhaps add something along those lines to your sig. Before someone makes a mistake and buys a 3850, they should at least know that the 9600GT is a better value for the money. If saying such makes me a troll, I'll just go hide under my bridge.

I'm not anti-nvidia, thats for sure. However if you're aware of what happened in the AMD forum, you'd understand. Many threads were dumped on by Intel fanboys, and it was hard to have a serious discussion about anything AMD. The same has happened here as well.

Anyway, as mentioned before, the 3850 is now a much better value item than the 9600gt.

EDIT: btw I was not meaning to be hostile, I was explaining myself.

It didn't take long for another thread of mine to start a debate and the mention of another card all I posted was news of a price drop for people in case they where deciding on a ATi upgrade. :shrug:

Good to see the price drop, I have been wanting to upgrade from my 78gt, Now I will wait a couple of weeks and see how Nvidia responds, Then simply choose which card I feel gives me the best bang for buck, Ati/Nvidia, Doesn't matter, I have owned both and like them both, And at least in my eyes, I have never seen the advantage some claim Ati has in picture quality, I think that simply comes down to the eye of the beholder. I must confess, I am a fanboi, I'm a huge fan of keeping as much of my money in my wallet that I can. I really like the fact that Nvidia and Ati are fighting for our $$$, Because in the end, We win.

I'm not really disgruntled about the price drop at this point, because so far I really feal like I've received as much or more value out of my cards as the potential other purchases I could have made with my disposable income. That' s something everyone should have already decided on before they pulled the trigger on major hardware purchases. If you've been dabbling in this game before, there is no way around your hardware going obsolete or worthless somewhere down the road. I really despise the term "futureproof". No such thing and in all actuality a gimick for hardware manufacturers to gouge prices before they screw you over and over again with completely new standards and technologies. If you are on a tight budget then don't play this game, because the function curve between obsession and impulse spending is exponential.

Because at the time people bought hardware that is being used as the low end on comparisons on Tom's Hardware, they really didn't think they were being morons.

Last edited:
mmm... I think I see a 2nd 3870 in my future! Guess I need to do some measuring and see if 2nd card will fit under my Acellero S1. Should, but I guess I'd have to run it passive then. Know it won't fit with the 120mm fan strapped on. Anyway, thinking out loud to myself....

This is awesome! Good to see the market working the way it should, with good competition driving prices down to meet consumer demand on both sides.

True, Coreyhm. Mustn't be too hasty now. And if the price cutting keeps up at this rate, you'll be able to get a 3870 for $100 here in about 4 months ;)

Good, building a rig with Jetway BA100, 4200+ seems the onboard vga might have to do till the pricecut. With CF drivers maturing this seems to be really good stuff. I wish NV could bring out some good chipset for AMD in similar pricerange as the 780 or I might jump ship as well for a pair of 38X0

Do I see it correctly that 3870CF does not worth it compared to 3850CF ?

I say 3870CF is worth it over 3850, higher clock speeds and overclocking headroom. Also the DDR4 memory can clock much higher. In my opinion, the price difference isn't enough to justify not getting 3870's. But thats just me :beer:

Unless I am missing something I have yet to see these price slashes materialize at NewEgg (Exception: the Sapphire 3850 was set at $142 days ago; out of stock). Perhaps a few more days... :confused:

Back