• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Atlonx II 620 + msi 990fxa-65

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

iceman529

Hello i looked a little bit on the internet and i can't find a answer for my problem, first of all i did OC with this CPU on an older setup pumped it up to 3.2 just by rising the fsb everything worked very nice for a very long time, afterwards i started having blue screens i reset bios to default everything was good, now i have the mobo from the title the problem is that i can't rise the fsb at all without making the system unstable(i bought 16Gb@1866 ram that's why i want to oc the fsb), first i tried using bios raised up the fsb the result would be no video output after i tried to rise the fsb and lower the other frequency multiplier still same effect, the only success that i had was to instal an msi application that enables overclocking from windows (i have w8.1) and i started to increment step by step everything was very nice i reached 223 fsb system was running i increased the voltages a little bit, at 224 it crashed therefor i rebooted and surprise when i put the last good configuration crushed again it looks like if i increase the fsb in big steps it crushes but if i just increment it works do any of you have an explanation for that or even better a solution?

I think the biggest issue is the ram you have. That CPU only supports 1333 ram and on top of that you have 16Gb which is a lot. Most CPUs in that era could run 1600 but still. Did you get 4x4Gb or 2x8Gb sticks?
My suggestion would be to back the ram down to 1066 if you can and then start to raise the FSB

i have 2x8gb if i set in bios just the ram frequency to 1600 it works no problem, i will try lowering the ram frequency and increasing fsb latter today

Yeah but as soon as you start raising the FSB so does the ram speed and then you're well over 1600. Starting lower will probably get you somewhere. If it's working at 1600 then try starting at 1333. Good luck and we're here if you need us. You should also drop the NB and HT by one multiplier when using FSB it just helps you go further.

I own an A2 630 and it seemed to enjoy the FSB push rather than multipliers, the difference is that I was running DDR2 at the time and not the capacity you have. Johan45 has the right idea, what I did was i lowers all the multipliers found each of the clocks max for mobo and CPU and found a compromise where the FSB was increased and the RAM would be moderately increased in my case from 800 to 1033. I would suggest as Johan45 said lowering the multipliers and see how that affects the stability.

Upgrade the cpu to a quad core FX. Problem solved.

Serious note...

Have a read through some guides youll find stuck to the top of the amd page here.

Then a report with results including and not limited to screen shots of cpuz all the tabs open and a temp monitoring program along with that and a full list of system specs would be helpful as well.

Back