• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ATM Scammers

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Crikey....that's scary...I wouldn't even notice it myself....scary how easy it is to get ripped off now-a-days.

They had a similar scam going on around here a little while ago.. instead of being that technical, what they'd do is jam the money slot.

Looks like no money came out, so they just wait till the person gets frustrated and leaves, then come and collect the money.

I just use my atari to haxzor into atms. Oh no here comes the terminator!!!

Wow I remeber seeing somthing like this. I hate scammers.

Interesting. Thanks for the info. If only those criminals could apply themselves to something that will better society. I probably would not have noticed that myself.

Btw, this probably belongs in General Computer Related Discussion rather than here.

Matt

Damn, foiled again:mad: Off to my next scheme;)

Seriously, good heads up Cowboy X! Also beware of those cell phones w/ cam attached to it. Very easy to take a pic of your card and pin at the cash where you use your bank/Credit card.

The card reader I wouldn't notice. The pamphlet holder inside the ATM terminal would make me suspecious, because NO ATMs in this area would EVER have something inside it like that.

However, if a camera was set up from a distance zoomed in to see the screen, that could be a problem. Also, if they can make something to put over the ATM slot, how long will it be before somebody makes a whole panel to put on top of the ATM keypad which would not only press the keys underneath, but also record the pin number?

If a keypad attachment was made then there would be a serious problem for somebody like me! Scary stuff...

Positive ideas, and the first one IS done by banks...

Have the bank camera their own ATM. If this camera is reviewed quickly enough (say, every few hours) and they only watch the sections of the tape where people were actually at the ATM, they could notice pretty darn quickly if somebody was screwing with the ATM...

Second, have a dark area on the original ATM card slot (above the slot) which shoots an infra-red beam down towards an area near the ATM keypad. If the beam is interrupted for 5 minutes, ATM shuts down and YELLS for help. This idea, if implemented, should stonewall the scammers for a small while at least.

Three, have a new warning on the ATM machine.... if the face of this ATM machine isn't PERFECTLY flat, DO NOT USE and call bank so and so NOW! Just make sure all ATMs are molded to be completely smooth... At least at the newer ATMs, you know safety is ensured.

Lastly, display a picture on the screen that says something along the lines of "If the card slot does not look EXACTLY like this and isn't perfectly flat, hit cancel transaction and call bank so and so now". That message can be adjusted as needed.

Just some positive ideas... :D Who knows when a bank manager decides to visit the forums for OC advice? After all, the bank manager might find this info interesting! <reality> Bank manager visiting this thread is really unlikely </reality> Nice to brainstorm though...

Back