• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Attention all Linksys users

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Alais_neo

Registered
this is very important even though i think most of the people here might already know this. But recently on the internet the source for the Linksys router firewall has been released and is very important that you get either a back up firewall or run an anti virus OFTEN

now i feel lucky going with Microsoft when i got my router

I didnt know that thanks for the info.... that really sucks ... do you think linksys can chnage things with a firmware update to cover the vulnerabilities

no they already made a press release saying that they wernt going to do anything about it, no updates no nothing :bang head

Uh oh... Wow, that's really lame that they aren't going to fix anything :( A security company won't keep us secure.. That shows a lot about Linksys.

I thought the firmware code for the linksys products was GPLed (meaning it is available) since the begining...

LiGhTBoY said:
I thought the firmware code for the linksys products was GPLed (meaning it is available) since the begining...
Perhaps they have something else in their routers that they never told anyone, and now we're screwed?

yeah, the source code for firmware of the wrtg54 has been public since the get go, but I dont think this will create any vulnerabilities in the firewall, I mean XP has a firewall built into it and the source code for windows isnt exactly secret. I thnk the firewall will still do its job

chittnp said:
yeah, the source code for firmware of the wrtg54 has been public since the get go, but I dont think this will create any vulnerabilities in the firewall, I mean XP has a firewall built into it and the source code for windows isnt exactly secret. I thnk the firewall will still do its job

That and that all Linux firewalls that rely on ipchains, ipfilter are GPL'd and that has not caused the collapse of the internet...

Just take steps to secure your network. Ie. change the default password, use the packet filtering capabilites, turn off remote admin... etc...

Alais_neo said:
this is very important even though i think most of the people here might already know this. But recently on the internet the source for the Linksys router firewall has been released and is very important that you get either a back up firewall or run an anti virus OFTEN

now i feel lucky going with Microsoft when i got my router

Linksys released firmware days ago to fix the problem, But even with this firmware to combat the sniffing, I totally agree a software firewall is necessary imho.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=16416

Here is a quick list of fixes, straight from the release notes:

Fixed CGI string attacks issue
Fixed UPnP on Windows XP SP2 issue
Fixed One way audio issue
Fixed NAT-T issue for some VPN connection
Fixed DHCP server revision, fill the siaddr to the server address
Fixed DHCP (BOOTP) vulnerability issue
Added Filter IDENT(port 113) to appear stealth when scanned
Added DHCP option 55 support
Fixed buffer leakage bug
Modified TCP Support RFC 3360 standard
Modified PPPoE/L2TP/PPTP fragmentation supports fragmenting 1 packet into more than 3.
Modified MTU/MRU function for better handling [of what?]

to my knowlwedge, the only router with gpl'd firmware is the wrtg54 wireless router. even if you have this router, I wouldnt worry about the firewall, I'd spend more time securing my wireless network, which is probably far more vulnerable

wow, I didnt know the firmware for every linksys product was available! I still dont think this will create a vulnerability in the firewall though, because in order to access the router and flash the firmware, which i would assume you'd need to do to bypass the firewall, you have to log into the router, so if you turn off remote admin and change the default password, you should be all set. there is no such thing as completely secure though, so Running a software firewall in addition sure wont hurt anything.

This firmware is causing me some issues with my cable. Seems I cannot renew my IP after the alloted 12 hours. I have to do it manually every time.

Back