• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Auto Transmit On Seti Driver/I Might Be Gone For 6 Months

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
heres a possibility about the monitoring!

Obviously you'll need to trust the person doing this but...

Install VNC on your computer, and get it running in app mode at startup, get a domain from no-ip.com (its free) and install that, that should startup at bootup too... Then somebody can always VNC in to the computer to check up on it every now and then!

You should probly ask the person to reboot your comp. once or twice a week just to prevent any problems. Wouldn't want to be down due to the OS getting bogged down. There are also auto-reboot schedulers but if Windows locks up that wont do any good.

Hope everything goes well with your dad

oh yes, bogged down OS. i forgot about that.. to cure it just use ramidle or the like. then you dont have to reboot really ever, cause you ram doesnt die. (not so much of a problem unless you are using 95/98/me)

I have a solution for preventing the system(s) from bogging down. It's a program called Rambooster that will free up the amount of ram you tell it too, and it can be set to do it automatically.

And if you're bios has a feature to boot up after a power failure, that would be helpful too :)

I use MaxMem from AnalogX. It works well.
I did set my bios to restart after a power failure and to load previous settings too.

Thanks for all the help. I'm still watching the thread in case you have any more idea's. :)

Sorry to hear about your dad. My parents are getting to that age where I just worry about that bad phone call.

I don't suppose you have the time for this, but as far as ensuring your system runs reliably you might want to install win2k. I've had no problems running that for upwards of a year or more without a reboot. Linux is good too, but getting seti to start up automatically after a power failure is a real pain. Not to mention seti driver doesn't run under linux or wine.

craigiz1 said:
I use MaxMem from AnalogX. It works well.
I did set my bios to restart after a power failure and to load previous settings too.

Thanks for all the help. I'm still watching the thread in case you have any more idea's. :)

maxmem is crap. ramidle is superior. after a while a system with maxmem will still be lagging just as much as one without. ramidle just seems to work better. they are both free so what can it hurt to try ramidle ?

Back