• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Availability of Win7 after Win8 release

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

h4rm0ny

I've been holding off on getting a new laptop because I thought I would wait for Windows 8. Now I'm actually in the opposite situation of wondering if I need to get one before Windows 8. I have tried the beta and I think it's awful. Really, truly a disaster.

I am still hoping to be proved wrong. I am still hoping that there will be some way of turning it back into something suitable for a business user, but I'm not sure I'm willing to gamble on that.

So basically, when Windows 8 comes out, how long will I still be able to buy Windows 7 machines new? And if not that, how long will I still be able to buy a separate install (though that adds a lot to the cost).

I had this idea that with Windows 8, there would come a range of new ultrathin designs and I could get something nice, but Windows. Now it looks like I shall be stuck with something less shiney for the sake of an OS I like. :( :( :(

So basically, when Windows 8 comes out, how long will I still be able to buy Windows 7 machines new? And if not that, how long will I still be able to buy a separate install (though that adds a lot to the cost).

That will depend on the manufacturer. Seperate installs should be avalable as long as M$ officialy supports the OS though.

http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=368&name=Operating-Systems

Was 'till just recently you could still buy XP.

However about as soon as 7 hit, Vista was pulled. XP was available more for businesses and the fact that it is still so widely used...

Not true, Vista was still available long after 7 was released. Not sure where you sourced that info.

You don't have to upgrade, there won't really be anything you can do on 8 that you can't do on 7. I think 8 is just for them to try and break into the tablet market.

Thanks for the replies people. In retrospect, I was probably pretty silly to think that Windows 7 would become instantly unavailable. Though I had hoped to buy a new laptop later in the year and had originally thought to get one with Windows 8. Now I don't know if all the newest laptops will no longer be available with 7 and I'll have to pay extra.

h4rm0ny, you do know that you can easily turn off the metro interface, and use a classic desktop right? (example 2, example 3, example 4) Once Metro is turned off, Win8 is essentially Win7 with new features and better analysis tools.

If this is the case, then I'll be very happy to use Windows 8. I like Windows 7 a lot and would love to have an updated version of it that ran faster / did newer things, et al. All of the links above are for the developer preview though. I did find a link to a way of doing it in the latest version, though it seemed a bit trickier. Basically, I'm a bit wary of using Third Party fudges to get Windows 7 functionality back. If MS provide a way to have a normal productive interface, then I'll be happy. If I'm relying on someone's best effort - no matter how good that is - I'm not going to trust it not to have issues, cause problems, etc. Not for something as fundamental as the basic O/S UI itself.

I've tried twice now to use Win 8 as it is, and despite really trying to like it, I can't. I think I'm really going to need an official way of using Windows 8 without Metro. MS seem to have taken all the things that I dislike about Macs, Android, etc. and worked them into Windows 8. I'm sorry that I'm getting a bit ranting. I'll hold off actual judgement until it comes out. I just dislike most of what I've seen so far. A lot. I just can't believe they're doing it.

I'm sick of 'upgrading' my OS's. I just went from XP to 7 and now Microshaft wants me to blow another $100 I don't have on Windows 8?!? **** you, Gates!:drool:

You wont need to upgrade to Win8 unless you want to. Win7 support will be around for a long time. (I just wasn't sure whether it would be available for a long time)

Basically, I'm a bit wary of using Third Party fudges to get Windows 7 functionality back...

As am I. I tried to link to fixes that didn't involve 3rd party software; too bad they don't apply to the most recent beta.

I think I'm really going to need an official way of using Windows 8 without Metro...

I'd be genuinely surprised if they don't provide a simple way to disable Metro in the final release. While it's great for tablets, it just won't work for the majority of desktop users. Guess I'll have to get off my lazy duff and download and install the current beta and report back with my findings on this...

I'd be genuinely surprised if they don't provide a simple way to disable Metro in the final release. While it's great for tablets, it just won't work for the majority of desktop users. Guess I'll have to get off my lazy duff and download and install the current beta and report back with my findings on this...

I think they'd be insane not to offer an official way. Basically, I remember those "I'm a PC, I'm a Mac" ads with the PC saying "I do spreadsheets" and the Mac saying "I can sort your photos of friends and family" and thinking 'so this Mac ad is telling me that I should stick with Windows?' If MS force Metro on Win8 adopters, it would almost be a deliberate effort to drive away those users that consider themselves more professional.

I wonder if we're just seeing a brilliant marketing strategy. First they make it look like you'll have to have Metro. Everyone says "I can't buy Win8 because of that bloody Metro UI. That really pisses me off because the rest of Win8 looks fine / great / better". Then MS announce you just turn off Metro with a simple click and all those who hate MS and have been wailing on the easy target, fall over flat like a drunk who suddenly has his wall taken away.

Well I hope.

Back