• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Avg. WU time for a Pentium 4M 1.8G?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cooldrum3

I thought the M's were supposed to be fast. How come I'm only crunching a unit every 4-4.5 hours on this machine? Do I need to run it as a service to load it into RAM maybe?

LandShark said:
1.8G P-M? it should be in the low 2hr range, I would say. check and see if it's "optimized" yet? e.g. virus scan off, hard drive always on, etc.

Actually, I'm running it off of a thumb drive so that it doesn't get too hot from the hard drive running all the time. Other than that, it's optimized. I don't think the thumb drive has affected it all that much though, since I was still turning out 4-4.25 times before I switched...all in all, it might have added 15 minutes. I guess the real question is, "Is my P4M the same as the Pentium M that everyone is talking about?"

The Pentium 4M is NOT the same as the Pentium M aka banias. The Pentium M is the chip that's great for Seti. I just got a 1.6GHz PM laptop and it crunches in about 2 hours flat. The P4M is nothing but a pentium 4 with better yield so it can run on lower voltage, and it has the ability to switch between multipliers. Other than that it's going to crunch just like a desktop Pentium 4.

No I guess that's about right for a 1.8A, I had a Celly at 2.66Ghz that took 5 to 6 hours average, and my 2.8C @ 3.5Ghz is taking slightly below 3 hours, but pumps out two WU's during that time due to Hyper Threading.

There are quite a few chips available for laptops right now. This is taken from Dell's web site:

Intel Processors

Intel Inside - Xeon

Intel® XeonTM
The Intel Xeon Processor with 533 MHz front side bus for servers and workstations features innovative technologies such as the Intel NetBurstTM Microarchitecture and Hyper-Threading Technology. It offers outstanding platform performance, dependability, value and versatility to provide headroom for current and future server and workstation platforms. Make time now to upgrade from older systems and increase your business's competitive advantage.

Intel Inside - Pentium 4 HT

Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor with Hyper-Threading Technology
Intel Pentium 4 processors with Hyper-Threading Technology are fast and efficient. Hyper-Threading technology allows these blazing fast processors to function more efficiently when running multiple tasks at the same time. This benefit is also highlighted when several CPU-intense applications are running simultaneously.

Inside each Intel processor is an instruction queue of actions waiting to be completed. While one activity is being performed, Hyper-Threading uses idle processor sections to begin the next activity. This efficient use of processing power can enable users to work with multiple applications more effectively, so more tasks can be done in less time.

Download Hyper-Threading demonstration (2.62MB).

Intel Inside - Pentium 4

Intel Pentium® 4 Processor
The Intel Pentium 4 processor for the desktop provides solid performance on today's high-end applications. The Pentium 4 processor also offers excellent performance for emerging web-based activities and multitasking-oriented users. This desktop processor also offers a great value when used in notebooks. It can deliver significant power and performance at a great price. This is good for customers looking for desktop power in a notebook and who are not as concerned with size and weight. Ideal for people who will be running mainstream applications like internet surfing, digital picture editing, multimedia presentations, word processing, spreadsheets, and basic gaming.1

Intel® Pentium® M Processor
Intel's latest processor is the first-ever to be designed from the ground up for mobile computing, allowing systems to be thin, light, and have long battery life. The New Pentium® M processor incorporates innovative power-management features that enable extended battery time while still delivering the power to run robust applications delivering the excellent balance of mobility and performance. Combine this processor with the Intel 855 Chipset Family and the Intel PRO Wireless technology to get the Intel Pentium M processor with Centrino technology (see below). This processor is great for people on the go who are running applications like word processing, spreadsheets, databases, etc., as well as running productivity applications, doing presentations, and working wirelessly on a regular basis.

The Pentium M is designed to yield performance beyond advertised processor speeds. On many industry standard benchmarks, the Pentium M at 1.6 GHz performed comparably to the Mobile Pentium 4-M. See chart below for one example:

Pentium M Benchmarks

Intel® CentrinoTM Mobile Technology
Intel Centrino mobile technology is a great new set of technologies including the Pentium M processor, Intel 855 Chipset Family, and Intel PRO Wireless Mini-PCI card. Centrino mobile technology is not a processor alone, but rather is a brand umbrella for these 3 parts. The Intel PRO Wireless mini-PCI card allows you to connect to 802.11 b wireless networks and the Pentium M processor enables thin, light systems with long battery life. Put this all together and you get a system that is easy to carry, easy to connect, and easy to use for a long time.

Centrino components

Intel Inside - Mobile Pentium 4

Mobile Intel Pentium® 4 Processor-M
Based on the same technology as the popular desktop Pentium 4 processor, the Mobile Pentium 4-M processor features similar architecture but optimized for battery life and other mobile computing needs so that you can run power intensive components with minimal impact to battery life. Mobile Pentium 4-M processors offer high performance to run robust applications delivering excellent multimedia performance with great mobility. It's great for creating digital video, editing digital photos, gaming, delivering multimedia presentations, and desktop publishing.

Intel Inside - Mobile Pentium III

Intel Pentium® III Processor-M
The Mobile Intel Pentium III Processor-M offers dependability and good mobility for ultra thin and light systems. Mobile Intel Pentium III-M products are available in low voltage and ultra low voltage models, for mini- and sub-notebooks, as well as tablet PC platforms.

Intel Inside - Celeron

Intel Celeron®
The Intel Celeron processor is designed to bring a balanced level of proven technology and value to basic PC desktops. With the Intel Celeron processor you can expect an affordable and reliable PC for your home or home office to meet your basic computing needs, such as e-mailing friends and relatives, tracking home finances, and running interactive or educational software for your kids.

As far as desktop units go, my P4 1.8 cranks out WUs in about 4.5 hours. Fairly reasonable for a laptop I would guess, especially since it's beating my desktop :D

JigPu

I'm impressed with the Pentium M. My latitude is a 1.6GHz PM and the ram is locked at CAS 2.5 - still it completes almost all units in exactly 2 hours. It's the fastest machine I have if you consider work unit time, but of course my P4 HT machines turn out more units per day. A laptop that does 11-12 per day at 1.6GHz is nothing to sneeze at though.

TC said:
I'm impressed with the Pentium M. My latitude is a 1.6GHz PM and the ram is locked at CAS 2.5 - still it completes almost all units in exactly 2 hours. It's the fastest machine I have if you consider work unit time, but of course my P4 HT machines turn out more units per day. A laptop that does 11-12 per day at 1.6GHz is nothing to sneeze at though.
ah....should not read this!! you are making me thinking to spend $$ again Tim!! <turning my face>Honeeeeyy........:p </turning my face>

actually, we are planning to replace her laptop for a 875/865 chipset XPC or other SFF box right now... ;)

LOL - I got my latitude cheap though. I got the fastest cpu and best display I could afford, and had everything else stripped down. I used a better hard drive from my old laptop, and bought memory from crucial much cheaper than Dell charges. The D600 cost me $1550 to my door step. 10 years ago I paid nearly $6000 for an IBM thinkpad 720C.

You wanna buy a boxed Pentium M and a board from radisys.com and build a nice system with that :D
The Pentium 4M is suited better to desktops IMO, they will pretty much all do 200x12 from 1.8 upwards. Thats 800FSB and mines cruchdes wus in about 2.5hrs avg..

Back