• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Award Bios, GIGABYTE, smart CPU Fan & fan fail warning

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

biglaz

Registered
Hello,

I have a GIGABYTE GA-M61P-S3 AM2 motherboard with its stock Award BIOS. In the BIOS there is a setting for CPU Smart Fan Control, which will control the speed of the fan automatically. There is also an option for CPU Fan Fail Warning, which will activate the system beep constantly if the CPU fan is not spinning. The problem is when the "smart" CPU fan control turns the fan low enough it stops all together so it also thinks the fan has failed and thus turns activates the system beep. Needless to say--very annoying. For now I've just disabled the CPU Smart Fan Control, but I'd like to have both of them enabled. Has anyone seen this? Is the smart control setting the voltage too low for my CPU fan? I'm using the stock fan that came with my Athlon 64 3400+ retail.

Thanks!

I have it disabled, but I don't have a stock fan. Since heat is our enemy I want to make sure my CPU is getting the cooling it needs, but you decide whats best for your situation m8.

Back