• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Awesome PC Building Guide

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ATMINSIDE

Sim Racing Aficionado Co-Owner
NZXT has a guide to building PCs.
It has a list of common tools, explains quite a bit of detail, and has links to their own step-by-step videos.

Give it a read, it impressed me:
http://buildapc.nzxt.com/

I don't like it. Over simplified. Doesn't go into enough detail. Doesn't cover aftermarket cooler installation... or any cooler installation really.

Also, I like to put my PSU in first. They did it after the mobo and GPU. I find putting it in first easier for a number of reasons. But anyways, whatever. Didn't like it.

Catchy colors though.

I don't like it. Over simplified. Doesn't go into enough detail. Doesn't cover aftermarket cooler installation... or any cooler installation really.

Also, I like to put my PSU in first. They did it after the mobo and GPU. I find putting it in first easier for a number of reasons. But anyways, whatever. Didn't like it.

Catchy colors though.

Isn't the point to make it simple for people that haven't built a computer before?!?!

Also, if this isn't enough on covering how to install both stock and aftermarket coolers, what is??
2015-02-17 16_22_00-How to Build a PC _ A Visual Guide By NZXT..jpg
2015-02-17 16_22_09-How to Build a PC _ A Visual Guide By NZXT..jpg
2015-02-17 16_22_21-How to Build a PC _ A Visual Guide By NZXT..jpg
2015-02-17 16_22_30-How to Build a PC _ A Visual Guide By NZXT..jpg
2015-02-17 16_22_39-How to Build a PC _ A Visual Guide By NZXT..jpg

And putting a PSU in can be done at any time.
What case you're using will determine if before or after other components is easier.

Please read before opening your mouth using your keyboard.

i do my psu last :shrug: keeps more room to work with less wires in the way.

Nice guide for the noobs!

I also prefer to install my PSU after the rest of the hardware for the exact same reason... personal preferences shouldn't be held against things. If that was a 'no no' I could see making it a concern, but personal preference is just that, personal preference.

Isn't the point to make it simple for people that haven't built a computer before?!?!

Also, if this isn't enough on covering how to install both stock and aftermarket coolers, what is??
View attachment 160113
View attachment 160114
View attachment 160115
View attachment 160116
View attachment 160117

And putting a PSU in can be done at any time.
What case you're using will determine if before or after other components is easier.

Please read before opening your mouth using your keyboard.

Don't hate just because NZXT didn't sufficiently elaborate. ;)
I stand by my previous comment. This guide is insufficiently in-depth.

Don't hate just because NZXT didn't sufficiently elaborate. ;)
I stand by my previous comment. This guide is insufficiently in-depth.

You realize that all coolers come with instructions, right?
They elaborated quite a bit, actually, and even more-so in their video.

Don't hate just because you don't like something.

That's the whole reason anybody hates anything though- because they don't like it.

No, hate and dislike are two different things.

There's an easy-to-follow, step-by-step guide with nice illustrations and links to very good videos showing how to build a PC.
It's an amazing tool for anyone who is unfamiliar with building PCs or needs a refresher.

Nobody else here seems to dislike the guide (in fact, most seem to like it).

No, hate and dislike are two different things.

There's an easy-to-follow, step-by-step guide with nice illustrations and links to very good videos showing how to build a PC.
It's an amazing tool for anyone who is unfamiliar with building PCs or needs a refresher.

Nobody else here seems to dislike the guide (in fact, most seem to like it).

So I'm the black sheep because I move against the herd?

There are a number of things I see as being wrong with the guide. It is insufficiently complex. You could not JUST trust this guide and look at nothing else and build any computer with no issues.

It's on my bucket list to make a build video one day that covers every current socket for CPU and cooler installation, how to build in a case with cable grommets vs one without cable grommets, etc etc. A complete guide. With good lighting and everything.

So I'm the black sheep because I move against the herd?

There are a number of things I see as being wrong with the guide. It is insufficiently complex. You could not JUST trust this guide and look at nothing else and build any computer with no issues.

It's on my bucket list to make a build video one day that covers every current socket for CPU and cooler installation, how to build in a case with cable grommets vs one without cable grommets, etc etc. A complete guide. With good lighting and everything.

So you're going to make a guide so complex that it's just going to confuse anyone new that watches it? Cool.

So you're going to make a guide so complex that it's just going to confuse anyone new that watches it? Cool.

No. I'm going to make a guide so user friendly, and so complex, that no noob will have any lingering questions after watching it. ;)

Am1/FM2+/AM3+/1150/2011v3 (or whatever sockets are out there at the time), PCIE, PCI, SATA, M.2, MPCIE, SATA express, form factors, modular and non modular power supplies, what 80+ ratings mean, stock and aftermarket cooler installs on all sockets, how to install a radiator, examples of how to wire front panel connectors across various boards, what is a case speaker, why is it helpful, etc etc.

It's going to be like 2 hours long and it will make even Carey Holzman's videos look rushed.

Last edited:
No. I'm going to make a guide so user friendly, and so complex, that no noob will have any lingering questions after watching it.

You or anyone else do something for a newbie and they then fully have the concept and you or they will have accomplished a world's first.

Poster: What is considered to be a safe 24/7 Vcore for an FX-8xxx cpu?

Answer: Most users in these forums adhere to the Max Vcore as 1.525V for 24/7 use with CPU/Socket temps <72c and Core/Package temps <62c as viewed in HWMonitor Free.

Poster: So you mean you could run 1.515Vcore when using the system everyday?

If I was shetting you then that might be a funny few lines, but is over and over a very close approximation of what many face when trying to help day in and day out. So the very idea that anyone can make a tutorial for newbies that is the full and complete meal is mostly BS or mis-guided based on what a newbie is in fact.

Nothing wrong with getting with it and making such tutorial as you propose, but I have serious doubts to their being the end all for all newbies. It just is not in the cards or real life.

RGone...

You or anyone else do something for a newbie and they then fully have the concept and you or they will have accomplished a world's first.

Poster: What is considered to be a safe 24/7 Vcore for an FX-8xxx cpu?

Answer: Most users in these forums adhere to the Max Vcore as 1.525V for 24/7 use with CPU/Socket temps <72c and Core/Package temps <62c as viewed in HWMonitor Free.

Poster: So you mean you could run 1.515Vcore when using the system everyday?

If I was shetting you then that might be a funny few lines, but is over and over a very close approximation of what many face when trying to help day in and day out. So the very idea that anyone can make a tutorial for newbies that is the full and complete meal is mostly BS or mis-guided based on what a newbie is in fact.

Nothing wrong with getting with it and making such tutorial as you propose, but I have serious doubts to their being the end all for all newbies. It just is not in the cards or real life.

RGone...

I think I could make an all encompassing guide that's user friendly enough for a noob.

The NZXT guide in this thread omits more than it covers, IMO.

I think I could make an all encompassing guide that's user friendly enough for a noob.

Any all-encompassing guide is going to be so detailed that it will completely sail over any newcomer's head.
You need simplicity for someone that is new.

They have user manuals for the details.

.....Well.....Lets see it.

There was no Thanks button a second ago, now there is... Thanks!

How will you be able to find all of the instructions for installation though if you can't google?

Back