• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AX1200W Corsair 20+4pin Braiding

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Godspeed84

Afternoon all,

Hit a slight bump in an otherwise exceptionally trouble-free, first attempt at braiding. Been working on the modular power cables for my AX1200 power supply and after happily braiding around 12 cables, to my horror I suddenly discovered one was thinner than the others... 22 AWG instead of 18 AWG!

Long story short, after double-checked all the ones done so far I found another 22 along with a 2nd one not yet braided. So they are all 18 AWG except for 3, which are 22 AWG and I have no idea which pins they should go in.

Are there any saviours out there that own an AX1200 with the original cables, or that know exactly which pins should have 22 AWG cables?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here's a photo of my other braiding efforts so far.
333lsms.jpg

I think I've managed to work out two of the three from various snippets of information from the Internet.

1st cable - 1 of 2 connected to pin 13 on the 24pin connector. (+3.3Vsense)
"The +3.3 VDC remote sensing wire (brown or orange) is connected directly to the orange +3.3 VDC at pin 11 of the power connector (pin 13 if a 2x12). The sense wire will usually be of a lighter gauge (22 AWG) than the power wires (16 or 18 AWG) and its purpose is to monitor the voltage at the connector in order to provide feedback for voltage compensation by the supply." - http://reprap.org/wiki/PCPowerSupply

2nd cable - Pin 8 (24pin) (PWR-OK)
Worked out from looking at a close-up photo of the 24pin connector in a review on Overclock3D http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/power_supply/corsair_ax_1200w_atx_psu_review/3. Pin 8 is clearly smaller than the others, cross referenced against what it is normally used for and after checking a couple of other ATX power supplies lying around. Typically gray in colour.

Unsure on the 3rd cable at the moment, from what I gather the thinner leads on PSUs are generally just for sensing/reading as the thicker ones carry the real power. Based on that and checking a few other PSUs lying around the thinner connectors seem to be either pin 16 (PS-ON) or pin 14 (-12VDC). Edging more towards 16 as that is simply used to power on a PSU and wouldn't need alot of power to do so, it's just a switch signal.

I have another Corsair HX620W somewhere at home so might dig that out to see if I can find anything else to relate to.

Solved, with referral to wiki page article on ATX. It's pins 8, 13 and 16.

"Pins 8, and 16 (shaded) are control signals, not power:
- Power on is pulled up to +5 V by the PSU, and must be driven low to turn on the PSU.
- Power good is low when other outputs have not yet reached, or are about to leave, correct voltages.

Pin 13 supplies +3.3 V power and also has a second thinner wire for remote sensing."

Back