• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

B550 or X570 for a 5900X?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TickleMyElmo

My 7700k is getting pretty laggy here and there. If I were to purchase a 5900X should I get a high end B550 or a med or so X570 ($250) or just stay intel and go with a 10900k? All I do is game, although I usually have a ton of background processes in the background including multiple google pages.

If you don't need the extra pcie4 lanes for storage then 550 is fine.

Yep.. that's about the only difference between them on the CPU front. Just make sure it has a decent VRM, the B550's (most do), and you'll be set. You can have 2 M.2 modules on them and 4 SATA ports active at once. If that is enough (without using an Add in card) B550 is the chipset for you. ;)

If you decide on X570 then better get a mobo which can flash BIOS without the CPU. Many of these motherboards have old BIOS. Recently I've purchased X570 Unify and it couldn't boot even with the 4650G which was released some months ago. Going straight to the latest version didn't work too, I had to flash it with 3 steps. Additionally, I wasted 2h+ as the mobo didn't work with 3 out of 4 thumb drives that I had. It was showing that is reading the drive for like 10mins but wasn't flashing.

With B550 can be the same situation but these mobos are quite new so let to at least boot and you can flash the BIOS.
Just letting you know so you won't be surprised when the new rig won't work for some reason. I hope that everything will be fine and you get a nice problem-free rig.

Back