• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

5900x... or 10900k

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

soundhunter

Registered
Hi everyone.
I was planning to build with 5900x, but still not sure if it's a safe option for me.
I'm building a new rig for gaming and work(2d,3d and a bit of video editing). My main software - photoshop, blender and zbrush.
If I go for 5900x should I know something, like any pitfalls or problems in certain cases?
I've read a lot of mixed user reviews. Some say that it's quite cold(comparing to intel) and super fast. Others say that it's unstable, very hot and not so good in some cases.
I was also thinking of 10900k but I don't like the pci-e 3.0.

You can look up reviews likely for any of the applications that you are speaking of. In many cases the 5900x will surpass the 10900k, especially in multi-core processing.

The trouble is getting your hands on one.

I'm unsure what they would be speaking of stating that it is 'unstable' or 'very hot'. As long as you have a sufficient motherboard and sufficient cooler then it's not an issue.

Thanks for the answer
Already checked. I hope it's as good as in those tests.

They are available where I live. Overpriced tho.

They were speaking of random reloads, crashes etc
And I'm thinking of ASUS ROG Strix X570-E and Noctua NH-D15

You could go with the 10C/20T i9-10850 ($400 at Microcenter) and save some cash. While PCIe 4 isn't very useful at present, some Z490 boards have PCIe 4 circuitry build in for Rocket Lake. The ASRock Steel Legend Z490 is one of them ($180 at Newegg). I'm aware some Gigabyte Z490s also support PCIe 4. Intel Rocket Lake CPUs support PCIe 4 and are about to be released along with Z590 motherboards. The AMD Zen 3 5900X and 5950X are overpriced and hard to get. Unless you are really going to need 24 or 32 threads I don't see the point at current pricing. I had a Ryzen 3900X rig recently which ran fine, but 12C/24T was way overkill for my needs.

11900K should appear on the market in ~3 weeks. I don't remember exactly but premiere is 18 or something Feb. I can be wrong as everything is delayed recently. Z590 motherboards are already listed but not really in stores. At least it will add PCIE 4.0 and some more like at least refreshed network controllers.

Both Intel and AMD need about the same coolers. Intel shows higher temps but doesn't throttle/drop clock so fast. AMD doesn't really throttle but its core/voltage management will lower the clock during high load. AMD made a good job convincing users it runs at lower temps than Intel and is more power efficient while in real it's not much better, just limited by default settings.

Last edited:
Hey DaveB,

I was trying to PM you but I can't for some reason, I was hoping you might be able to help me, trying to OC with an i7 8700k and a Gigabyte Z370 HD3P, I saw you said you had good luck with them previously and wondered if you could help at all? I can't even find the option to allow me to overclock never mind what settings to change.

Help me Obi Wan Kenobi, you're my only help!

I have just completed a 5900x build with an Asus Crosshair VIII Hero. I have yet to overclock it but it has been going 24/7 full CPU load for the last week. Temps are 78C across all cores with a Lian Li Galahaed cooler. Again this is under a 100% full load under all cores/threads. I think you will be fine with this CPU if you can get your hands on one.

Hey DaveB,

I was trying to PM you but I can't for some reason, I was hoping you might be able to help me, trying to OC with an i7 8700k and a Gigabyte Z370 HD3P, I saw you said you had good luck with them previously and wondered if you could help at all? I can't even find the option to allow me to overclock never mind what settings to change.

Help me Obi Wan Kenobi, you're my only help!

You're asking me to go down memory lane as that was a few years back. After that build I spent the next 3 years in the AMD Ryzen wilderness. First, I had a not so good i7-8700K, and so had to delid it to get to 5 GHz. I was using a Corsair H100i 240mm AIO for cooling. IIRC, I had to set the core voltage at 1.425V with the AVX Offset at 2 so AVX workloads ran at 4.8 GHz. Ran great, but a little on the hot side.

The 5900X is a no brainer. Pair it up with any board and grab yourself a Gen4 nvme M.2 SSD then rock at 7400 MB/s sequential reads.

Back