• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tweaking my new 5900x

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pepi93

Just upgraded to a 5900x and looking to do some tweaking to minimize/elimininate the following...

1) CPU goes up and down by simply opening up a program etc. Hopefully this makes sense? I open an app and the temps go up by 15-20 celcius, fans spin up, then within seconds they go back down and etc. I'm using AMD balanced power plan.

What I've done so far is put in a -30 curve optimizer and - offset voltage of 0.1000 I ran both the OCCT and Cinebench to see if it's stable and it is. I'm not even sure if I can use both the -30 CO and -offset voltage at the same time or do they conflict with one another? The info I've read is unclear.

I don't mind a small decrease in performance but with the -offset I got a Cinebench score of 16000+ vs 21000+ without.

Ideally, I'd like to tweak another BIOS feature.

Now I know what you're thinking. Why not just create a fan curve that doesn't go up/down due to the cpu throttling up/down.

Ideally, I want to stop the CPU from doing what it does. There's no reason for it to go up that high, just to open up an app.

Thanks.

....that's literally how a CPU works though. There is a reason it behaves that way....

No cooling or underclocking/voltage will prevent those spikes without a notable loss in performance. All you can do is prevent your fans from from spinning up from it. You're losing performance over a natural occurance (cooling cant get heat out fast enough for quick blips)...keep it simple and adjust the fan speed is my take. Problem solved 100% and you have 100% performance.

If you insist, maybe look into PBO and lower boost clocks? I don't th8nk that will work either without a loss in performance though.

Last edited:
You shouldn't need to touch the voltage at all. CO is one thing, but you don't need to play with voltage offsets. It is a beast of a CPU, a lot of coolers cant handle 5900X imo. When tuned, the CPU can do over 200w and over 225w PPT, that is a hell of a load through 7nm..

Ok, more steady fan curve it is, up to the 70 degree mark.

IIRC this ramping "issue" is very common even more so on ASUS boards. This isn't anything new. The temp spikes come from the single-core ramp-up up to 4.8 GHz in your case and AMD supplies ample voltage for this. This is completely normal and there's no reason to sacrifice performance to try and change it.
I run an X570 Godlike and it doesn't behave this way.
I'm not certain what options you have in BIOS on the ASUS but I have the ability in mine to set a slight delay for the fans so they don't spin up immediately only on a sustained load. I also have the fans set for 20% at anything below 60°C since this box sits in my living room as a gamer/HTPC I like it quiet.

I set a 50% constant cooler fan speed up to 50 degrees and then I do 60%/6, 70%/70 etc. Also removed -offset and using only CO of -30 on each core.

I'm now reading about PPT, TDC and EDC and how those settings can lower power consumption/temps and not impact performance much.

Tweaked the PPT, TDC and EDC a bit after doing some stress testing with max values for the 3. Ended up setting the PPT to 165, TDC to 115, and EDC to 120. Ran the full per core optimizer using Ryzen Master, which kicked out a -27 for all cores but core 2, which got a value of -25. Ran Cinebench again and got a higher score than before, when I had the cpu set to everything auto/stock.

I'm happy with it :)

Last edited:
I've been messing around with PPT, TDC, EDC and curve optimizer and ended up also doing a -offset in voltage. My reasoning is that I don't mind a slight decrease in performance but to avoid the unnecessary overboost, which can bring the cpu to almost 70 degrees celcius, just because I'm watching a youtube video, while playing League of Legends TFT, or browsing the web, makes no sense to me.

I set PPT 105 (from the 135 I had it at), TDC 115, EDC 120, & 0.05 - offset (could also use -0.1 and still might) and -30 in curve optimizer. My Cinebench scores are 1000 or so less (from just over 22k to just under 21k) but again, I don't mind the decrease in performance if it minimizes the unnecessary up throttling and overboosting while I'm doing not all that much. For games, the cpu stays under 60 celcius most of the time. (Elden Ring, Forza 5), haven't tried other games yet.

I'll continue to mess around here and there, while I'm working on something else and not using my PC.

With 229 PPT, 153 TDC, 180 EDC as my settings, using an all core CO of -25 and I game at 50-60c and idle in the mid 20s with an air cooler, what are you using for cooling?

I have not touched the voltages at all unless I am doing an all core OC, in which case it is just 1 group of numbers entered and No offsets at all. Example: 1.45v.

5900X.png

With 229 PPT, 153 TDC, 180 EDC as my settings, using an all core CO of -25 and I game at 50-60c and idle in the mid 20s with an air cooler, what are you using for cooling?

I have not touched the voltages at all unless I am doing an all core OC, in which case it is just 1 group of numbers entered and No offsets at all. Example: 1.45v.

View attachment 216288

Those temps are amazing. That's what I want. I have a icue rgb plat liquid cooler. My temps are garbage compared to yours. My gaming temps aren't the issue. It's when I do nothing or just multi task with a few things open while playing team fight tactics, the cpu throttes up sometimes and temps go into the mid 60's etc. I had instability issues with my above mentioned values, so I took off the -offset, left CO at -30 and put the ppt back to 135.

I am noticing that your fan speed is much higher than mine. What cpu cooler do you use?

Last edited:
@Pepi93
If you have your fans under control I'm not sure why you're obsessing over that temp spike and reducing your overall performance.
The AMD CPUs are good over 100°C and IMO those spikes aren't going to damage it, it's pretty normal.

@Pepi93
If you have your fans under control I'm not sure why you're obsessing over that temp spike and reducing your overall performance.
The AMD CPUs are good over 100°C and IMO those spikes aren't going to damage it, it's pretty normal.

To each their own I guess is my motive, especially since I see other people with different values. You're right though, if the fans don't bother me than who cares about the spikes. I upped my case fan curve a bit, we'll see if that changes anything. I had them a bit on the lower end.

To each their own, sure! It's just curious to see sacrificing performance when...

1. The processor is working as intended..
2. Temperatures are well within spec...
3. Your fan ramping is under control...
4. Everyone will have different settings and even different results at different settings as no two pieces of silicon behave the same.

Adjusting the fan curve won't take care of the spikes...cooling cant get heat out fast enough for those quick blips/spikes (..mentioned in post 2!).

It's a (mental) hurdle you've put up for yourself. We're trying to lower the bar so ya don't have to jump over it. :p

To each their own, sure! It's just curious to see sacrificing performance when...

1. The processor is working as intended..
2. Temperatures are well within spec...
3. Your fan ramping is under control...
4. Everyone will have different settings and even different results at different settings as no two pieces of silicon behave the same.

Adjusting the fan curve won't take care of the spikes...cooling cant get heat out fast enough for those quick blips/spikes (..mentioned in post 2!).

It's a (mental) hurdle you've put up for yourself. We're trying to lower the bar so ya don't have to jump over it. :p

Fair point on the spikes. My motive with the case fans was that they were probably at 50% most of the time and they're not noisy, so I bumped them up a bit. Summer approaches :) I think another part of me just likes to mess with this stuff until I get bored and don't touch it anymore. Same goes with OC'ing a new GPU, I do it for a while and then don't even use the OC. It's just a "hey, what can I squeeze out of this new thing I just spent a chunk on". :)

So I just got a Windows didn't start correctly blue screen when turning on my PC this morning. I didn't do any checks/scans and just booted into windows fine.

I ran sfc /scannow and DISM checks while in windows and no errors were found.

If the error screen happens again, what should I do before booting back into windows? (I'm a newb with this kind of stuff)

I can only guess that's got something to do with the new cpu being installed.

Throw it away. :p

Did you check the error logs? What was the blue screen code? Are you overclocked or tweaked in any way? If so, does it happen at stock?

Throw it away. :p

Did you check the error logs? What was the blue screen code? Are you overclocked or tweaked in any way? If so, does it happen at stock?

I don't even know where the error logs would be :p. I didn't see an error code, just that windows didn't start properly and was given a bunch of troubleshoot options.

I wasn't overclocked per say, but CO set as well as a few other things set (PPT, TDC, EDC). I've since uninstalled Ryzen Master and left everything on auto aside from CO and disabled spread spectrum in bios.

I'll see if this fixes it.

Back