• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Backup Software, Mac and Win

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blueswitch

What are people using to backup their machines? I've got a mix of mac and pc laptops that are mostly used around the house. What I want to do is have scheduled backups on the laptops push data over WiFi to probably a SMB share on my win7 desktop for now maybe do a dedicated NAS setup later.

What I really want is something that's lightweight and not intrusive to daily computing, can be scheduled, can backup to a network share and can do differential. This is for backing up mostly Photo's and documents for disaster recovery not point in time snap backs. I need a solution for both mac and PC's since Time Machine dosen't work with non-Apple AP's (typical move Apple) and windows 7 backup just isn't very good.
I'm used to dealing with Enterprise backup solutions which have crazy awesome features, I'm not caught up on home user stuff. Any suggestions appreciated!

TIme machine can backup to CIFS/SMB. You have to hack it a little.

For single-run backups to external media of a system image for macs... I'd suggest Carbon Copy Cloner or just use Disk Utility when booted from the recovery partition or an external media OS X installation.

Its easy enough to write an rsync script if you just want to backup a few directories periodically. You can mimic time machine by creating a sparsebundle and dumping your stuff in it with rsync. That way you can preserve permissions on a windows filesystem. I just wrote a 1000 line bash script for my company that does that (current user documents and desktop folders, but it'd be a snap to add others) plus remote profile capture using scp, and full profille encrypted backup, plus reciprocal resotore operations of course. What you want could be done with 10 lines of code.

As for windows.... I usually just keep manual copies of important stuff on external raid 1 enclosures, or do a full system image with Acronis. I'm not much of a windows guy. Maybe some others will have better solutions.

Back