• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bad Binned i7-920 Overclock to to 4.0GHz+ w/ High Voltages Please Help =)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

r3quiem

I've had my current i7-920 Since 2009 and over the course of its life I've tried many times to hit 4.0 GHz while being stable with a vcore of about 1.42. However no matter what different settings of my own and those from around the web I've tried I've had no luck. I'm hoping maybe some direct help from fellow forums members and overclocking enthusiasts will lead to better results.

My current Mainboard is a: ASUS P6T V2 Deluxe
Ram: 12 GB of Triple Channel G.SKill Ripjaws 1600 Mhz Ram
Cooling: Custom Water cooling with just CPU Loop on EK-XTX 360 RAD and RASA CPU Block

My current settings are:

2yy5hj6.jpg

Temp @ Idle: 37 C
Temp @ 100% Load over 1 Hour: 67 C

-So far I've been Stable at 3.9 GHz with a VCore of 1.425V at 100% Load
-I tried 4.0 GHz with the same VCore and Settings I crashed in 3 Mins @ 100% Load
-I've tried underclocking
-I've also tried using multipliers of x19, x20 and x21
-Under the assumption that this is a Bad Binned CPU I have hence the High Voltages to run stable @ 100% load

What I'm trying to achieve:

- 4.0 GHz or Over
- No permanent Damage to CPU for 5 Months
- Idle Temps Below: 50 C
- Load Temps Below: 80 C

I don't mind trying any extreme solutions as long as i don't damage my CPU permanently or at least for the next 5 months.

Thanks for taking a look, any help and or tips would be appreciated =)

Requiem you're not alone with that problem.

My 920 and I have a long sordid history. It's at 3.3 GHz, and we no longer speak. One day I'll just put it at 4.0 and volt it till it mushroom clouds. Then it'll know who was boss.

Looks like a C0 to me. My D0 i7 930 hits 4ghz on 1.25v Lol.

Manually set your uncore/QPI to their lowest values (the one just before slow mode), perhaps that'll help?

Edit; I have +700mv on my CPU Differential Amp. If that also helps at all. (Honestly I'm not sure if I need it lol)

My 920 and I have a long sordid history. It's at 3.3 GHz, and we no longer speak. One day I'll just put it at 4.0 and volt it till it mushroom clouds. Then it'll know who was boss.

I feel for you there LZ i'm glad my situation isn't as dire as yours. Although with IVY bride around the corner I dont mind abusing this Chip a little more. Maybe just a little mushroom cloud =P

Is the chip a C0 or D0 stepping?

I got it when the i7 was first introduced back in 2009 and its is a Revision C0, which I hear doesn't overclock as well.

Looks like a C0 to me. My D0 i7 930 hits 4ghz on 1.25v Lol.

Manually set your uncore/QPI to their lowest values (the one just before slow mode), perhaps that'll help?

Edit; I have +700mv on my CPU Differential Amp. If that also helps at all. (Honestly I'm not sure if I need it lol)

Those are some awesome numbers Mjolnir. I wish I had waited longer before I got mine. The D0 seems to pull of some amazing numbers. I hear people hitting 4.5+ GHz with the same vcore Im using for 4.0.

I tried setting the two to their lowest Value in conjunction with the lowest and highest Differential Amp. With the lower values for uncore/QPI, I blue screen once win7 loads.

In a P6T-D thread I posted in awhile back, these were stable 4.0GHz settings for a C0. Although w/ 12GB of DDR3-1600 installed, you may need to supply greater than 1.35V VTT (QPI/DRAM Core voltage), possibly upwards of 1.45V or so. And make sure to manually adjust the four primary DRAM timings and voltage to match your modules rated spec's. You might also need to bump the PCI-E frequency from 100 to 102-104MHz for added stability.
Code:
Ai Overclock Tuner: manual
CPU Ratio Setting: 21
Intel SpeedStep Tech: Disabled
BCLK Frequency: 191
PCIE Frequency: 100
DRAM Frequency: DDR3-1531 MHz
QPI Link Data Rate: Auto

CPU Voltage: 1.36875V
CPU PLL Voltage: Auto
QPI/DRAM Core Voltage: 1.35V
IOH Voltage: Auto
IOH PCIE Voltage: Auto
ICH Voltage: Auto
ICH PCIE Voltage: Auto
DRAM Bus Voltage: Auto
DRAM DATA REF Voltage on CHA: Auto
DRAM CTRL REF Voltage on CHA: Auto
DRAM DATA REF Voltage on CHB: Auto
DRAM CTRL REF Voltage on CHB: Auto
DRAM DATA REF Voltage on CHC: Auto
DRAM CTRL REF Voltage on CHC: Auto

Load-Line Calibration: Enabled
CPU Differential Amplitude: 800mV
CPU Clock Skew: Auto
CPU Spread Spectrum: Disabled
IOH Clock Skew: Auto
PCIE Spread Spectrum: Disabled

C1E Support: Disabled
Hardware Prefetcher: Enabled
Adjacent Cache Line Prefetch: Enabled
Intel Virtualization Tech: Disabled
CPU TM Function: Disabled
Execute Disable Bit: Enabled
Intel HT Technology: Enabled 
Active Processor Cores: All
A20M: Disabled
Intell Speedstep Tech: Disabled
Intel C-State Tech: Disabled

Haha :D

Back