• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bad onboard sensors or Coretemp wacky?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
This has been happening since I got the CPU a few weeks ago, but since I'm just OCing it now I thought I'd ask just in case.

When I have cortemp running, I get mid 30s idle, low to mid 50s load. But occasionally under load, cores would jump to 98C(?) and instantly drop back to the normal load temp. After half an hour or so, they'd all seem to get stuck there. I'm not too worried because simply restarting coretemp while still under load shows that they are actually where they are supposed to be.

Coretemp documentation says if it's showing the TJmax followed by a question mark, like it is for me, the sensors may not be working right. What I think is strange is what are the chances of having all 4 temp sensors be defective?

This has been happening since I got the CPU a few weeks ago, but since I'm just OCing it now I thought I'd ask just in case.

When I have cortemp running, I get mid 30s idle, low to mid 50s load. But occasionally under load, cores would jump to 98C(?) and instantly drop back to the normal load temp. After half an hour or so, they'd all seem to get stuck there. I'm not too worried because simply restarting coretemp while still under load shows that they are actually where they are supposed to be.

Coretemp documentation says if it's showing the TJmax followed by a question mark, like it is for me, the sensors may not be working right. What I think is strange is what are the chances of having all 4 temp sensors be defective?
Download the newest release of Core Temp off the website. This was fixed in RC2.

Try this from our OC Forums member mmoeller:

http://openhardwaremonitor.org/

See if it does the same.

Thanks, looks like it's just coretemp. Had them both running for about 10 minutes now. Coretemp said all 4 cores hit 98c atleast once in the first minute or two, OHM still says the hottest core never got above 55c. Going to leave them both running with Prime95, see what happens when coretemp is saying the temperatures sticking. Kind of wierd, never saw CT do something like that.

Edit: Heh, thanks Thid, just saw your post. Funny, I downloaded this version the 6th :p

Back