• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bad PSU choice?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Niku-Sama

alright i needed to swap out the tiny evga SFX sized 450w PSU in the system i'm using now for the new video card on the way and i was driving my self insane with research so i decided to just pick one from a brand i know something about.

I ordered this:

i made sure to get model PA-7G1BB-US because i read something about the previous 2020 model it had some noise issues, i didnt read too far into it.
but i ordered on amazon so i should be able to return or cancel the order if it was a mistake. it was an impulsive order before i could ask on here...

i always have a hard time picking PSUs

Not sure who the oem is on those. I'm sure the quality is no worse than OK. I would have went with 850W though, especially if it's just an 'ok' quality power supply.

Edit: reviews show it as plenty capable... so that's good. I ran a 12900k and 3090ti on a 750w without issue, but upgraded to make sure. So far, the 4090 and 12900k hasn't peaked over the 528W the 3090ti did... so there's that.

well it wont matter because i am cancelling the order. when i put it in it said it would be delivered by next friday. now its telling me Nov 4th
this **** always happens when i finally make a damn decision

Lian-Li 850W SFX PCIe 5.0 is great. Corsair SF750 750W Plat. (or any other PSU from the SF series) is highly recommended too, but I don't think they have PCIe 5.0 version. It's hard to get low-quality SFX Gold/Platinum PSU. In the worst case, the fan will make some noise under high PSU load, but most Gold or Platinum PSUs won't spin the fan up to 40% load.
For a longer time, I've been using FSP 850W Dagger Pro 80+ Gold, and I have had no problems (in some reviews, there are comments it's louder than competitive units, but I haven't heard that). I also have Montech Century Mini 750W 80+ Gold which I'm using for 7950X/RX6800XT tests. Let's say not a popular brand, and most of its products are average, but this PSU seems pretty good. I guess the OEM for this unit is the same as Enermax, but I could be wrong. Enermax PSUs are good too, but I don't think they refreshed their SFX series in the last 2 years.
I literally replaced all ATX PSUs at home with SFX.

oh it doesent have to be SFX any more, i needed the space in an old case but i've since changed, i'm using the adapter to the ATX mount in the current case now. still small so would need modular.
i just need something to be in by next week and i cant count on newegg to do that any more and amazon is flakey chancing their dates after order so i think i am stuck with Worst Buy now.

at least their prices follow market trends now

edit:
well this might work out, one of the corsair i was looking at (RM750) just dropped $30 to $99 and its in stock locally and places i'm headed this weekend for the retro gaming expo.

@EarthDog , I get what your saying about going 850W but this system is technically a secondary one. i'm just using it everyday because of room restraints. Right now its a R5 2600, GTX 1660 Super, 16 GB rams and 2 m.2 drives. I'll be running the 3070 ti i got on ebay in it once it arrives but when my living situation changes its going in the big system to replace the 2070 with noctuas zip tied to it

Last edited:
It looks like a 3070 Ti can pull about 300W stock, some OC boards up to 360W. The 2600 should pull maybe 130W on the high end. You could always use a PSU calculator but seems like 750W would be enough with a high quality PSU. Lower quality I would bump the wattage. Could probably even get away with 650w if you're not overclocking. You can use the calculator here for a more precise estimate of power use https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator

RM 750 would be a great choice imho.

There's been a lot of back and forth about the new power adapter knowing whether the card can draw 450W or 600W based on whether it has 3 or 4 8-pins attached, but I've also heard that it doesn't actually reach the power limit because of voltage. Should buyers planning to overclock "budget" 600W for the card, or is 450W-500W adequate?

Either way I would see a high quality 850W as the bare minimum.

Well, the 4090s are rated around 450W. The watercooled suprim liquid x is 480W. It requires a 600W pcie 5.0 connector. The 3090ti suprim x was also 480W...it came with a 450W connector.

I would plan for use based on the specs of the card, not what the connector is rated for. I can tell you, for MY situation (2560x1440, ultra, 165 FPS limit the card didn't peak over 325W. I'm sure without a limiter or higher resolutions you'll get all 450/480w out of the card. The 4090 suprim x has 10% power limit adjustment so max would be around 530W.... but yeah, it's be tough to reach that on air...

For the last month or so, I've had a kill a watt that saves mins/peaks and so far, that system with 3090ti and now a 4090, peaked at 528W (titanim-class 850W seasonic psu).

OK i am back from my convention weekend! i got all sorts of things/pictures to share and i thought i'd start here

It looks like a 3070 Ti can pull about 300W stock, some OC boards up to 360W. The 2600 should pull maybe 130W on the high end. You could always use a PSU calculator but seems like 750W would be enough with a high quality PSU. Lower quality I would bump the wattage. Could probably even get away with 650w if you're not overclocking. You can use the calculator here for a more precise estimate of power use https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator

RM 750 would be a great choice imho.

ok thats what i ultimately wound up doing, on my way out of town friday i snagged the only RM750 left at worst buy, its in the system currently. surprisingly much quieter than the evga 450gm that was in there.

I think his new video card, the end game, is an RTX 4090. 650W is fine with a 3070Ti, but not the 4090.

well i was going to go 4080 how ever with all their BS and back and forth, plus the cancellations on 4xxx and supposed new additions to 3xxx i think i'm just going to stay away from nvidia until they come back down to earth. the 3070ti should suit my little system for a while, i'm still going to try and get my hands on an intel card and i think i'll wait and see what RDNA2 brings along.

if they can compete RDNA2 could really take advantage of what ever the hell nvidia is doing

Back