• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Basic advantage of OLED screens over IPS, VA, TN?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

magellan

Is the basic advantage of OLED screens over VA, IPS and TN that there are no halo effects around small, bright objects rendered on a dark background and that blacks are really black (rather than dark grey)? Have the longevity issues of OLED screens been resolved?

Is the basic advantage of OLED screens over VA, IPS and TN that there are no halo effects around small, bright objects rendered on a dark background and that blacks are really black (rather than dark grey)? Have the longevity issues of OLED screens been resolved?

Perfect blacks, excellent color reproduction, instant response time

Longevity issues I'd say are built into how the monitor is used. I have a 48 OLED for the last two years and it has been perfect. I also made sure to have a rotating wallpaper, taskbar hidden, turn off the screen when not in use, and I play a variety of games so that a single HUD isn't burnt in. If I was playing WoW for 40 hours a week or something I may not go that route, that said, the Best Guy/Geeksquad warranty covers burn-in, so if it happens it will be replaced/fixed.

Has anyone here ever tried a VA screen for gaming? Were plasma panels ever a thing for computer monitors?

Not aware of any plasma monitors. I'm sure some one must have hooked up to their plasma TV but that tech has a higher burn in/retention issue than OLED as far as I'm aware so I don't know how common it would have been.

Not sure if any of my panels for the last 20 years have been VA, pretty sure they were all IPS. From googling around my 2407 Dell Ultrasharp was a PVA

My OLED TV is 4 years old in 4 days time. No problems with it so far. What sold it to me at the time was a combination of colour quality, response and blacks. As an emissive technology, if a pixel isn't lit, it isn't lit. LCDs have to block a backlight leading to not so black blacks and possible glow in dark scenes. I feel the main way to prevent non-reversible burn in is to keep brightness levels tempered. It doesn't need to be in a dark room like a projector, but I wouldn't pick one for a bright area that requires turning it up. BTW I don't use HDR. It is both good and bad. Good in that it doesn't have to use lighting zones like LCDs so bright and dark areas are better defined, but it doesn't reach the higher peak levels so the HDR effect is limited anyway. Maybe newer units are better in that area now.

I have an LG 32" 1440p 144Hz VA panel on my gamer. Although I'm mostly playing games that are looking through a windshield of a car or plane. I've been happy with its performance.

Back