• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Basic setup question XP2800+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MACDIVER

Registered
Guys,

I have a PC Chips combo rig I bought for my wife for nongaming stuff but I'm not sure how to set the cpu clock speed and match it with DDR 333 (PC2700) RAM.

The mobo is a 754 A31G v1.0 with a XP 2800+. I have two 256 sticks of the DDR 333 ram and it's Crucial CL2.5 whatever that means. The combo came with 320 of some kind of bobo ram so I'll use my Crucial instead.

Does the cpu FSB have to match the ram speed, so would I have to clock the cpu down or can I go with the 200 FSB?

What is the best multiplier to use to make it go the rated 2.08GH?

Right now it's running at 1.6 with 320 ram but I don't know what the multiplier is currently.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Your multi should be set at 12.5x for your stock speed. The 2800 does not run at 200 fsb stock, but rather 166 which is the same as your ram. Yes, your ram should run at the same speed as your CPU.

Good luck with it! :beer:

R7

Your multi should be set at 12.5x for your stock speed. The 2800 does not run at 200 fsb stock, but rather 166 which is the same as your ram. Yes, your ram should run at the same speed as your CPU.

Wait... I think the OP might be a bit mixed up on terminology, that information you gave is true for Socket A Athlon XP's, but since OP mentions a Socket 754 board, that would mean he has an Athlon64 2800. Those do use 200mhz base clock, and you can set the ram on a divider so that the CPU runs at full speed but the ram runs at DDR333.

I DL a copy of the manual for the mobo and it says supports 800fsb. It supports DDR 400/333/266.

On the CPU, the shipping sheet shows AMD Athlon XP M2800 +. It came as a combo so I guess it was matched but you can never tell. I booted to the bios today and it shows 200mhz on the cpu and 1.6 volts vcore. But when I go into Control Panel/System is only shows 1.6ghz. As far as I can tell from AMD's site the cpu is supposed to run at 2.08gh.

From the manual:

Socket-754 Processor Support Supports AMD Athlon 64/Sempron processors Supports Front-Side Bus 800 MHz

Chipset
There are SiS761GX Northbridge and SiS965L Southbridge in this chipset in
accordance with an innovative and scalable architecture with proven reliability
and performance. High Performance Host Interface:
-Supports AMD Athlon 64, Athlon 64FX, Sempron CPUs
-HyperTransport compliant bus driver with auto compensation
capability Integrated Host-to-PCI Express Bridge:
-1 GB/s performance in 133MHz x 4 mode
-Distributed arbitration strategy with enhanced mode of contiguous
DMA data streaming High Performance & High Quality 3D Graphics Accelerator:
-Built-in 32-bit floating point format VLIM triangle setup engine

Does that additional info help?

Thanks

On the CPU, the shipping sheet shows AMD Athlon XP M2800 +. It came as a combo so I guess it was matched but you can never tell. I booted to the bios today and it shows 200mhz on the cpu and 1.6 volts vcore. But when I go into Control Panel/System is only shows 1.6ghz. As far as I can tell from AMD's site the cpu is supposed to run at 2.08gh

Your shipping sheet is wrong, you have either an Athlon64 2800, or a Sempron 2800. More likely the latter. Those Semprons are basically old Athlon XP cores hacked onto a socket 754 platform, and that particular one is indeed supposed to run at 1.6ghz, with an 800HT.

1.6 volts sounds a little high, though... I thought those were 1.4V chips. There's probably not much you can do about that though, I doubt that board has any voltage adjustment options.

As far as your original question about RAM speed, I'm not sure how that particular board handles it, but if it boots as it is, I wouldn't worry about it much. What speed is your RAM currently running? It should probably say in BIOS, or maybe even the POST messages, or you can run CPU-z from Windows.

Last edited:
Back