• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

battle.net may not be free in the future...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
This is the biggest pandemonium I've seen in a while. Wealthier than Microsoft? You guys need to layoff the Red Bull. I've seen book titles longer than this article. Quit freaking out over what is currently nothing.

wow....does a person have to add a smiley face, or roll-eyes after every piece of sarcasm on these forums these days?

Last edited:
*shrug*

The Battle.net is not really worth playing on anyways as far as I'm concerned. Too many kids (and adults who act like kids) shouting obscenities at me or others. Spouting racial epithets does not make you cool, it makes you a racist.

If I wanted to have my sexual preference questioned and to be called nasty names I'd a) go back to highschool or b) play Halo 3 online.

then how will you know if you're on the internet, without 12 year old kids yelling at you???

http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com/sillies.php?d=20080806 :D

I used to love WC3 on BNet* but I don't think I'd want to pay for it. I'm only a casual gamer so really wouldn't be able to justify a monthly cost. I'd maybe pay a little extra for the Bnet edition eg. SC3 £30, SC3 Battle.Net enabled £40.

* Until WC3:TFT became all about the rush and was populated solely with immature kids who ranted and raved when they lost, and ranted and raved when they won. I wish chat could be disabled... :F

I've found something interesting while using Battle.net: The first two or so weeks after a new game release, it's fine. People are relatively friendly and give each other tips to make them better players. I actually had one guy compliment me on a particularly artful approach I took to kicking his ***.

After two weeks, the honeymoon is over . . .

i so far have refused to pay for any online subscription service, i already pay $50 for your game and now you expect me to pay for patches and access to play it online, the patches for YOUr broken game... charge me for that and i boycott you for life...
Think of it this way. When I bought WoW awhile back (2004?) and started playing, it has and will be $15/mo. During the months that I play, I rarely (read: RARELY) buy any other games. The only exception is amazingly good games (GRID, etc).

When I don't play, I jump from game to game; that is a lot more expensive than if I just stick with WoW.

The starcraft 2 thing i cant comment on since i never played the original, but it does sound like a pretty crappy deal.

but as far as battle.net goes, as an avid diablo fan, i would rather it be totally free, but if a small fee would completely eliminate bots, duping, hack programs, and the items for sale website ads, and provide constant patching, i would be willing to do it.

Think of it this way. When I bought WoW awhile back (2004?) and started playing, it has and will be $15/mo. During the months that I play, I rarely (read: RARELY) buy any other games. The only exception is amazingly good games (GRID, etc).

When I don't play, I jump from game to game; that is a lot more expensive than if I just stick with WoW.

for me i dont spend $15 a month on games, i maybe spend at most $100 a year on games and i have gone 1-2 years with out buying a game...

what gets me is first i give $50 when new to buy the game they pay monthly to connect to their server (to which i am also paying my ISP for to connect me to..)

$5 a month ads up, $15 a month.. $180 a year to play a game!!! + the initial buy price, sure WoW is now like $15 in places..

but for me, charge me $5 a month and make it a min one year contract and DONT charge me for the game.. i may consider it... or a freedownload + monthly fee...

Having a kid cry to you when you win makes winning better imo ;)

If you let people online get to you, you shouldn't be playing online.

But then they start whining etc and saying hacks. I played halo 3 on xbox one night with my friend who was visiting family in NY. After that night I never played halo online again, haha. Too annoying.

for me i dont spend $15 a month on games, i maybe spend at most $100 a year on games and i have gone 1-2 years with out buying a game...

what gets me is first i give $50 when new to buy the game they pay monthly to connect to their server (to which i am also paying my ISP for to connect me to..)

$5 a month ads up, $15 a month.. $180 a year to play a game!!! + the initial buy price, sure WoW is now like $15 in places..

but for me, charge me $5 a month and make it a min one year contract and DONT charge me for the game.. i may consider it... or a freedownload + monthly fee...
Yes, but you are thinking of this an a non-ongoing process. They have to keep the servers up, pay GMs to moderate, come out with new content and anything else that goes with running the servers. I have no issue paying that much for how much thought and work they put behind this game.

I think we have to agree to disagree.

It really doesn't matter to me if its pay to play or not.

If they can get rid of the dupers, I will pay to play online or play online for free.

If they cannot, I will play single player.

Also, if you're going to extrapolate the costs of WoW out over a year, you can also look at it as a daily thing. If you play WoW daily (...and most do), it's like 50 cents a day. I spend more money on coffee.

I have mixed feelings about the 3 game releases... I loathe game companies that make multiple games that should be one game to begin with. It must be enough content to do so because they would of done the same with D3 for each class...

I'll wait until the first one comes out whether or not to put blizzard on my hate list. The b.net thing bugs me but if it keeps it legit, I'm for it.

Yes, but you are thinking of this an a non-ongoing process. They have to keep the servers up, pay GMs to moderate, come out with new content and anything else that goes with running the servers. I have no issue paying that much for how much thought and work they put behind this game.

I think we have to agree to disagree.

So what is my original $50 for :D

as said for me, they can charge me to play on their servers, but at least allow the option to play on non b.net servers and i dont HAVE to pay to do that, like past games you have the lan or tcp/ip option :D dont force me to pay money for s feature i may never use and if i use it, sure, i will pay for it, if it is good enough.

FPS games seem to do just fine not charging fee's... cs:s / cs: tf2: dod the list goes on, one time fee, done!

I'm cool with pay to play if that helps limit the hacking and cheating going on online. The way things are in Diablo 2 now are really annoying and I hope it changes with the third installment. ~$15/month really isn't a lot imho.

But most fps games usually only have 1 or 2 servers from the company. Battle net is pretty much Blizzard's servers.

yes but they could also open it up to single servers and provide some listing, i dont believe they did that in D2. you had to know people's IPs to join the server they ran

Does anyone remember back in the day there use to be private servers for SC? They literally emulated Battle.net. And they got shutdown fairly quickly by Blizzard. There was some kind of software you ran in the background before booting up SC.

I think it originated on AOL forums or somethin.

Back