• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Game you might not(but definitely should) know about

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The controls in M&B is what makes it genius. It's probably the best medieval combat simulator I've ever played. You can't just waltz in spamming your mouse button and expect to win, you actually have to learn how to fight in the game.
That's exactly right. It's impressive that they have created a combat system where actual medieval battle tactics are the most effective way to fight.

Need to advance on a group of archers? Form a shield wall.
Need to defeat an enemy with a very long axe? Get close to him where he can't get any power behind his swings.
Need to defeat a cavalry charge? Equip a pike and just wait for them to run into you.

The combat system is based on actual physics (weapon reach, weapon swing speed, the speed you are moving, the speed your target is moving, gravity causes arrow drop). They really did a good job of making a realistic game that is fun to play.

hmmmm guess windows users dont like cave story lol strange in my time on linux game was basicly the holy grail because its free and amazing.

Another game that should be on this list is Defense Grid: The Awakening! It's one of the better tower defense games out there, and to top that, it actually had an amazing story. Who would have thunk it?

Mount & Blade has different combat styles if you want. I know the default swing depends on how you move the mouse if I recall correctly, but you can set it so it will swing in the direction of the enemy or something like that. It's only as hard as you want it.

Add: Startopia

Played it a long time ago at a friend's house.

Neat empire game that's fun to watch the aliens interact with each other, etc.

Tutorial is narrated by John Cleese, so it's a pleasant experience.

Mount & Blade has different combat styles if you want. I know the default swing depends on how you move the mouse if I recall correctly, but you can set it so it will swing in the direction of the enemy or something like that. It's only as hard as you want it.

It also has a lot of different difficulty settings. How much damage you receive, how much damage you to do to friendly troops, the game and combat speed, etc.

Mount & Blade Warband is an excellent game for the price, I'm surprised people are ripping on it. The controls are tough? Not at all, pretty easy to get down in a few hours imo.

It has some minor bugs here & there and multi could use some work but for $30 it's a steal.

OMG, No Deus Ex AKA one of the best games ever, winner of game of the year award by 40 different magazines?

Woops, thanks rumbl3.
Douken, do you really think Dues Ex is unknown? This list is mostly for somewhat obscure games. I'll add it if you think so, but I personally feel it has had plenty of press.

Woops, thanks rumbl3.
Douken, do you really think Dues Ex is unknown? This list is mostly for somewhat obscure games. I'll add it if you think so, but I personally feel it has had plenty of press.

I think that's debatable. Many people I know never heard about it, well, all people I ask around here never heard about it. Yes it has press, but that same press is that one that never misses one. I think the random public is not like that.

I think that it was a big game back in the game, but I wouldn't call it a need to know game. Deus Ex was to shooters as Final Fantasy VII was to jRPG's... it's a classic and one of the best examples of it's breed, but I think that this list more for games nobody would have heard off. Stuff that didn't get commercials, stuff with surprising levels of commercial level quality, but sans the commercials.

Stuff like Cryostasis, and Penumbra... less like Doom 3 and Crysis.

Deus Ex was the crysis of it's era, and perhaps that era is forgotten now but I am not sure it matches this lists's "theme".

I think that it was a big game back in the game, but I wouldn't call it a need to know game. Deus Ex was to shooters as Final Fantasy VII was to jRPG's... it's a classic and one of the best examples of it's breed, but I think that this list more for games nobody would have heard off. Stuff that didn't get commercials, stuff with surprising levels of commercial level quality, but sans the commercials.

Stuff like Cryostasis, and Penumbra... less like Doom 3 and Crysis.

Deus Ex was the crysis of it's era, and perhaps that era is forgotten now but I am not sure it matches this lists's "theme".

I agree, but hey, why not? I'll add it after I get done playing Reach :)

Please include a note on how to pronounce it. I'm ready to backhand the next person I hear say 'deuce ex.' :temper:

Please include a note on how to pronounce it. I'm ready to backhand the next person I hear say 'deuce ex.' :temper:

Deus is God in Portuguese and Latin

English pronunciation: /ˈdiː.əs/ - Latin: [ˈdeːus]) (wikipedia)

For Latin, the one everyone should use if you want to say it correctly:

D as in Debt
E as in Debt
U as in You
S as in.... S

De-us
Bi syllable

A common mistake would be saying "di-os:" (read more below)

For Ex just say X and it sounds like it should.

Read this if you want to learn more:

Just look at how these vowels sound different.

Deli
Deal

To the people that speak Spanish you just said

Deli
Dial

English word Dial a person that speaks spanish would write it
Dail

And Dail would be written

Deil

The vowels

A E I O U

A Spanish person would write

EI I AI OU IU

If you notice, you make 2 sounds when you mention these vowels in the English language in Spanish you make just 1 sound. If you are confused to this point try saying the vowels out loud and very slow, you'll notice you start making one tone and change to another except for E. That's probably the reason why Spanish talking people have difficulties pronouncing the English language. And I make reference to Spanish because in Portuguese and Spanish vowels are pronounced the same way; in German and Japanese vowels are also pronounced as Spanish.

Getting back to topic, I never saw promotions or ads for Deus Ex, I got to know it because my neighbor got a Demo package CD that included the Demo of Deus Ex.

Last edited:
Back