• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Baldur's Gate 3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I play on Ryzen 7600@stock + RTX3070 set to 70% power limit and max temp limit / custom wc/single 240mm rad, CPU+GPU with fans set to 30%. It still runs hot but is very quiet. I don't how how the game will run at limited power on 2060 as it's slower card in general. On the other hand, BG3 is turn based game, so shouldn't be so bad. People say it works pretty good on Steam Deck.

Finally got off that damned ship...

My 2060 Super is pissing me off. It's not that it can't play the game... I run the game just fine in 4K... it's just the FAN is so loud and annoying... and always runs at 100% after about 5 minutes of play.

Started having this problem with Marvel's Midnight Suns... but really only in graphically intense portions of the game. Then the fan was just on all the time in Diablo IV... Was hoping BG3 would be more efficient... It's not.

And it's the same even if I drop the resolution to 1080p.

Maybe I need to opt for a 3 fan solution? Or a bigger case. Dunno... What do you guys think?
I would also suggest dusting out the cooler if it hasn't been done recently. The card is getting to be a few years old.

Screw it, gameplay question, one of the few times I don't want a flat out spoiler. Realized I can go back to the monastery at the cusp of act 2. I don't want to look up a guide on this for fear of spoilers. How do I get in to find the Creche? At this point, it's a battle between saying "screw it finish at least one play through" and "you've commited IRL time to this, follow through."

I play on Ryzen 7600@stock + RTX3070 set to 70% power limit and max temp limit / custom wc/single 240mm rad, CPU+GPU with fans set to 30%. It still runs hot but is very quiet. I don't how how the game will run at limited power on 2060 as it's slower card in general. On the other hand, BG3 is turn based game, so shouldn't be so bad. People say it works pretty good on Steam Deck.
Sorry for the double post but just for the added input - I've been playing on my desktop, so a 12700K under a 360 AIO and a 2080. In my personal experience, the game seems more bandwidth intensive than anything. Normal gameplay is smooth. But loading times, even off a mid range NVME drive,, are slow and cutscenes lag - almost like they're buffering. No impact on gameplay, just an observation.

Screw it, gameplay question, one of the few times I don't want a flat out spoiler. Realized I can go back to the monastery at the cusp of act 2. I don't want to look up a guide on this for fear of spoilers. How do I get in to find the Creche? At this point, it's a battle between saying "screw it finish at least one play through" and "you've commited IRL time to this, follow through."

I noticed it was changed in the last update. Before you had to break through broken windows, now you have to use branches on the left side of the main gate (which is locked). Then you go up, right, and jump to the right side (of the gate). Then you will see a locked room with a spirit guardian. It's not important, but you can break the wall to get inside. Behind the room, on the right side, will be destroyed stairs. You have to jump down and break inside through the wall. Then go through the doors, and later I don't remember exactly but go around and find stairs down that end with a gate and the creche entrance.
I don't know if I described it well. Good luck :D

Btw. Steam says I was playing about 210 hours already. 4 times passed the game, each time in a different way. Now I go the "right" way, passing through all quests and trying to finish things that I missed before.
Some main quests end the same way, no matter how you decide to make them. I was a bit disappointed a couple of times as I thought I will do things in a different way and the ending was the same.

Sorry for the double post but just for the added input - I've been playing on my desktop, so a 12700K under a 360 AIO and a 2080. In my personal experience, the game seems more bandwidth intensive than anything. Normal gameplay is smooth. But loading times, even off a mid range NVME drive,, are slow and cutscenes lag - almost like they're buffering. No impact on gameplay, just an observation.

On Steam Deck, it's hard to play when the game is installed on an SD card, even though the card is pretty fast. People say it works pretty well in general, but I had Diablo IV installed and only 256GB SSD, so I had to install BG3 on an SD card. I will check it soon as I just ordered Corsair MP600 Mini 1TB :)
Something is wrong with some cut scenes and sometimes when are a lot of characters on the screen. It's pretty random and as you said, it doesn't matter if the CPU or graphics card runs at full speed or are power/frequency limited. I have a free PCIe 5.0 SSD, but I don't think it will help. Maybe an SSD with very high IOPS would make a difference.

Last edited:
Well, yeah... but a midrange card from 2.5 generations (4+ years) ago can be long in the tooth on some titles.

You may be OK at 30 FPS as the games you play aren't FPS where every one counts. Still, even with say Age of Empires (newest and one of the only non FPS games I play), I can notice the difference between 30/60 FPS. Anyway, report back.... wondering what you fps drop is when limiting power.

Changing Resolution had no affect. Going from Ultra to High had no affect. Locking v-sync to 30fps seems to have done the trick. I honestly can't tell the difference between 30 and 60fps anyway in this turn-based game. But now the fan just comes on occasionally. I no longer have to worry about my computer melting down.

I actually went all the way back to everything just after you get off the ship and played my way back to where I was. It all looked the same and the only difference was I no longer had my GPU fan screeching louder than my air conditioning in the background.

BG3 is a very complex game to play. I've currently got 4 characters on my team. Each time each one of them levels up I have to choose different subclasses and spells. I currently have a Rogue who could be either a thief or assassin. Which one should I go with?

Depends on the rest of your team, what do you have and what are you missing?

BG3 is a very complex game to play. I've currently got 4 characters on my team. Each time each one of them levels up I have to choose different subclasses and spells. I currently have a Rogue who could be either a thief or assassin. Which one should I go with?

I noticed that each time you play, the game suggests something a bit different. Each time your team levels up, it suggests a different subclass for some characters. I don't know if it has changed after some updates, but I noticed that when I was only adding what was required manually (like for mages, clerics, or druids 2 skills), then sometimes I had different skills on the list. Later, I noticed I wasn't manually changing subclasses, but I was accepting what the game was suggesting.

As I said before, I totally ignore Astarion or rouges in general. I only take him out of the camp for quests that require him. I noticed he is much more useful once he has an assassin subclass, but still not as good as some other classes.

Right now I play as paladin/dwarf + Gale, Karlach, and Shadowheart. Paladin is pretty good, but I guess that cleric is better for the team.

Btw. BG3 runs well on the Steam Deck ... on low graphics settings and default 720p. Cut scenes have typical hiccups, but it's playable in general, and on a small screen (if you don't connect it to a large TV), it still looks good. I can't see a significant difference between medium and low settings. On the other hand, I'm not playing on the SD. I may use it, but mainly wanted to check how it works.

I noticed that each time you play, the game suggests something a bit different. Each time your team levels up, it suggests a different subclass for some characters. I don't know if it has changed after some updates, but I noticed that when I was only adding what was required manually (like for mages, clerics, or druids 2 skills), then sometimes I had different skills on the list. Later, I noticed I wasn't manually changing subclasses, but I was accepting what the game was suggesting.

As I said before, I totally ignore Astarion or rouges in general. I only take him out of the camp for quests that require him. I noticed he is much more useful once he has an assassin subclass, but still not as good as some other classes.
ce between medium and low settings. On the other hand, I'm not playing on the SD. I may use it, but mainly wanted to check how it works.

Yeah I hate Astarion. But I love my Drow Rogue (Selinen). D&D gets overwhelming REAL QUICK with all the classes/subclasses and races/subraces.

I just did Necromancer in Diablo II and IV... so I wasn't willing to go that route again. I'm pretty sure I did some kind of half-elf rogue in Baldur's Gate 1 and 2... so it made sense to start off with that again.

There are so many different ways to play through this game I'm sure I'll try something else on a different playthrough.

No bard or druid?

I thought Shadowheart was a druid?

So the gist of this game seems to be:

1. Everyone you meet SUCKS
2. None of your over-elaborate plans ever quite workout
3. You probably would've made a pretty good Mindflayer because you suck at everything else (remember you and all these other losers DID get caught in the first place...)

Very uplifting.

I wish more areas out of the city. The city (BG) is in general fine. There are a lot of basements, tunnels, severs and other things, so it's a lot of walking and can do a lot of side quests. Act 1 feels short and there is not as much to do as I wish (regarding side quests). Act 2 is in real 2 paths that end almost the same (no spoilers). When I'm starting the game from the beginning then Act 2 is like "eh, not again the same". Then I have many more choices in the 3rd act.

Btw. In BG, there is a house with ghosts. I don't know if it's only me but it's bugged. My characters randomly stuck and can't move or use any skills for multiple turns. It's not any spell, curse or anything like that. There is no hold/sleep or whatever. I almost made a quest there, but forgot one thing and I spent good 30 minutes only to leave the building without a fight.

I wish more areas out of the city. The city (BG) is in general fine. There are a lot of basements, tunnels, severs and other things, so it's a lot of walking and can do a lot of side quests. Act 1 feels short and there is not as much to do as I wish (regarding side quests). Act 2 is in real 2 paths that end almost the same (no spoilers). When I'm starting the game from the beginning then Act 2 is like "eh, not again the same". Then I have many more choices in the 3rd act.

Btw. In BG, there is a house with ghosts. I don't know if it's only me but it's bugged. My characters randomly stuck and can't move or use any skills for multiple turns. It's not any spell, curse or anything like that. There is no hold/sleep or whatever. I almost made a quest there, but forgot one thing and I spent good 30 minutes only to leave the building without a fight.

A LOT of times you can just waltz through the game without a fight... Unless you specifically NEED to kill someone.

If you're a Drow (my character's race) then you can just WALK straight through the whole goblin camp like you belong there. (Don't know how they didn't notice everyone else in your party...)

I'm still in Act 1. Everything takes a VERY LONG TIME because I keep having to reload and re-roll and replay through parts of the game where I feel I've made a mistake. And, mind you, I'm straight up skipping a LOT of stuff. Avoiding as many side quests and conversations as I can. And it's STILL taking forever.

I'm on my 4th pass. Right now in the 3rd act. Because it's turn-based, it's easy to take breaks or do two things at the same time. Like I'm testing hardware for reviews on the PC next to me, and I play mainly late in the evenings when I already have problems focusing on writing any good text or anything else that I simply have to do during the day. I won't hide that because of BG3 I had many 3-4h sleep nights in the last weeks.

bg3.jpg

One advice. Save the game every time you feel there will be a longer dialogue or some kind of scene. It saves a lot of time if you make or say something stupid.

I was playing as a drow during the first pass. No matter if you pick a drow or other race, you can talk through most quests. However, there is no way to finish the first act without fighting with goblins or druids. If you want to be good, then there is even more fight. If you go the evil path, then you can ignore some problems or characters that need help. On the other hand, if you like to make many quests, then I don't recommend the evil path, as you lose a lot on the way. I really liked BG2 regarding this, as you could be chaotic/evil and still do most quests or get replacement quests. In BG3, most companions like when you help all around. I don't want to post spoilers, but you will see. When you are good and help everyone, then your camp will be full of various characters, pets, and more.

Had to share, it showed up in my youtube recommendations. Incredible.

I don't want to be picky, but loading screens take more than 3 minutes ;) ... and blowing up Gale is not passing the game, but giving up halfway.

I don't want to be picky, but loading screens take more than 3 minutes ;) ... and blowing up Gale is not passing the game, but giving up halfway.

They do account for the load times in the video (looks to be about 1 minute extra). I guess I'd say it would be sub-4 minute of game time versus sub-5 for real-time.

Back