• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Baldur's Gate 3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Warning NSFW

I Played Baldur's Gate 3 Like a Complete Maniac

Is this you, too?!?

I gotta do something about my video card so I can get back into this game. I wonder if an RTX 4060 with three fans would do the trick...

About 50 hours in Act 1 and I am not sure if it is fun or not. I don't like looking at Youtube vids to find out if I ruined a quest or not. It's taking forever to accomplish anything and I constantly worry about how to save the Grove since I have no idea...Got to a burning building last night and stopped. Oh and I am playing as a sneaky 2 timing (Lazeal, Karlach) do gooder rogue.

Last edited:
Just do quests as you feel is right and use YT only when you really stuck. There is no wrong way. You always miss/sacrifice something, so in the end, there is that feeling that you should pass the game another time differently. I passed it a couple of times, and it was different every time. The shortest is for sure if you decide to be pure evil, as then many quests are locked, or some party members will leave (or won't join). Either way, no matter what you do, you will progress and finish the game.

About 50 hours in Act 1 and I am not sure if it is fun or not. I don't like looking at Youtube vids to find out if I ruined a quest or not. It's taking forever to accomplish anything and I constantly worry about how to save the Grove since I have no idea...Got to a burning building last night and stopped. Oh and I am playing as a sneaky 2 timing (Lazeal, Karlach) do gooder rogue.

You're playing it wrong!

The best way to find out if you've ruined a quest... is to RUIN THE QUEST.

You absolutely should NOT be trying to do everything right. You're missing out on a lot of the hilarious, and ridiculous consequences of doing things wrong.

Should you trust that witch? Should you kill that guy? DAMN! ...you definitely should've killed that guy. (You should also save... VERY OFTEN.)

...because NOW that guy is a huge problem. And you can't beat him because he can't be beaten because of that thing that you did.

I killed the Goblin Priestess just because she was being kind of a ****...

WHO KNEW it would turn into a whole thing?

I've got far more hours than you in an I'm still nowhere close to the city of Baldur's gate.

You're playing it wrong!

The best way to find out if you've ruined a quest... is to RUIN THE QUEST.

You absolutely should NOT be trying to do everything right. You're missing out on a lot of the hilarious, and ridiculous consequences of doing things wrong.

Should you trust that witch? Should you kill that guy? DAMN! ...you definitely should've killed that guy. (You should also save... VERY OFTEN.)

...because NOW that guy is a huge problem. And you can't beat him because he can't be beaten because of that thing that you did.

I killed the Goblin Priestess just because she was being kind of a ****...

WHO KNEW it would turn into a whole thing?

I've got far more hours than you in an I'm still nowhere close to the city of Baldur's gate.
First thing you can't play a game wrong.

Second.. I think I'm just too old for this genre. I played turn based in the past. I'm just too old for it, it's just tedious.

3rd... I don't have to worry about playing it correctly as I don't have the skill to do half the things that you would need to do. Such as trying to push a spider into the pit... I ended up trying to push her... Failing... fighting her for half hour. Used up everything I had the crew was just about all dead.. and the only highlight was that is when lazeal chose to be romantic.

Yes you can, there's a whole community of gamers that enjoy finding bugs and mastering/using them competitively against one another, speed runs, playing blindfolded or with your feet, a kid actually broke Tetris a few weeks ago, he went so much over the "speed limit" of 30 levels that the game actually ran out of memory and hard crashed, he's now officially the 1st person in the world to "properly" finish the game. There's plenty more examples, pick your poison 😁

Second.. I think I'm just too old for this genre. I played turn based in the past. I'm just too old for it, it's just tedious.

3rd... I don't have to worry about playing it correctly as I don't have the skill to do half the things that you would need to do. Such as trying to push a spider into the pit... I ended up trying to push her... Failing... fighting her for half hour. Used up everything I had the crew was just about all dead.. and the only highlight was that is when lazeal chose to be romantic.

Hey YOU'RE the one "looking at YT videos"... It's almost like you INVENTED a way to play this wrong! hahahaha :D

And you're not "too old" for this... I mean... I don't actually know how old you are... (Can you still eat solid food?)

It's like doing pull-ups: People who have never been able to do pull-ups won't even try because they've never succeeded. The reality is that it has nothing to do with how strong you are... or how heavy you are...

...you just need to know HOW to do a pull-up.

Most of the spells and whatnot you need for the game you get IMMEDIATELY. Pushing a spider off a cliff or whatever should be like one of the very first things you learn to do.

And, again, it seems to me you're just TRYING too-hard.

BG3 is all about the journey...not the destination.

Hey YOU'RE the one "looking at YT videos"... It's almost like you INVENTED a way to play this wrong! hahahaha :D

And you're not "too old" for this... I mean... I don't actually know how old you are... (Can you still eat solid food?)

It's like doing pull-ups: People who have never been able to do pull-ups won't even try because they've never succeeded. The reality is that it has nothing to do with how strong you are... or how heavy you are...

...you just need to know HOW to do a pull-up.

Most of the spells and whatnot you need for the game you get IMMEDIATELY. Pushing a spider off a cliff or whatever should be like one of the very first things you learn to do.

And, again, it seems to me you're just TRYING too-hard.

BG3 is all about the journey...not the destination.
I don't look forward to playing it...EA golf is more fun, in fact I look forward to most games. BG3 is definitely a game I would enjoy the 2nd time thru. My memory is awful, I remember buffs after the battle.

It is really the party aspect I do not like ...I want to only use a SP.

I don't look forward to playing it...EA golf is more fun, in fact I look forward to most games. BG3 is definitely a game I would enjoy the 2nd time thru. My memory is awful, I remember buffs after the battle.

It is really the party aspect I do not like ...I want to only use a SP.

Then it's definitely the wrong game for you... I mean you're basically talking about Diablo IV at that point. (Though BG3 is VASTLY superior in pretty much every way...)

I don't think I've actually played BG3 since before Thanksgiving. Family and holidays and whatnot. It really requires a deep investment of time and thought to accomplish anything. (Whereas I was able to barrel through Diablo IV in about a week.)

Then it's definitely the wrong game for you... I mean you're basically talking about Diablo IV at that point. (Though BG3 is VASTLY superior in pretty much every way...)

I don't think I've actually played BG3 since before Thanksgiving. Family and holidays and whatnot. It really requires a deep investment of time and thought to accomplish anything. (Whereas I was able to barrel through Diablo IV in about a week.)
Maybe...I'll let you know after 250 more hours.

Interesting that slightly less than 50% of Gamers have completed Act 1. Less than 30% completed Act 2.
Less than 17% finished the game.

Is that because Act 1 is so good ? Now it really motivated me to complete the game.

Interesting that slightly less than 50% of Gamers have completed Act 1. Less than 30% completed Act 2.
Less than 17% finished the game.

Is that because Act 1 is so good ? Now it really motivated me to complete the game.

Oh, DUDE... You could spend a LIFETIME in Act 1...

Like I said... there's SO MUCH going on... Actually completing the game is pointless if you're having fun!

Like I said... I've got a ton more hours than you... and I've made practically no progress after Act 1.

I've followed threads that have led me nowhere because I'm either extremely outmatched or you're just murdered by an angry and bitter god or something...

I've gone down the rabbithole of never-ending quests and side-missions.

I've gotten EXTREMELY AND HOPELESSLY LOST...

Like I said... the game is all about the journey. The friends and enemies you make along the way. Turning a corner at a place you've been to a hundred thousand times... and suddenly a gigantic cut scene and you're transported somewhere entirely new.

To say the game is generous is an understatement.

Half of my current gametime was just taken up by my war with the goblins. Like I didn't HAVE to go to war and go on a goblin genocide. There was no STORY reason for me to do that...

...they just kinda pissed me off and they all had to die. :)

And there are tons and tons of characters to either murder or save.

Some of these "Hero's Journeys" are very long and some of them lead to dead ends. (Or at least dead ends until you're much more powerful.)

So yeah... I totally understand why those would be the stats.

That's exactly what I mean! You can spend FOREVER playing this game... do all sorts of incredible things... and still not even scratch the surface of everything you COULD do! :beer:

Making serious headway... I no longer have to worry about the grove...Which should allow me to long rest. Always worried about failing the teethlings.(hehe) with too many rests.... I am starting to have fun.

Definitely my biggest gripe is the teleport spots are too easy to miss...I completely missed the one by the under dark entrance twice. I also don't have the spell on any character that can get rid of Bloodless.(EDIT:Wrong... Shadowheart has it.) Kinda wish I had used a stake...:mad: Also never travel with vampires...but don't call me racist...:chair:

Last edited:
Making serious headway... I no longer have to worry about the grove...Which should allow me to long rest. Always worried about failing the teethlings.(hehe) with too many rests.... I am starting to have fun.

Definitely my biggest gripe is the teleport spots are too easy to miss...I completely missed the one by the under dark entrance twice. I also don't have the spell on any character that can get rid of Bloodless. Kinda wish I had used a stake...:mad: Also never travel with vampires...but don't call me racist...:chair:

There's nothing sadder than a millennial racist with a 4070 TI Super... I swear... :rofl:

TELEPORT SPOTS are your biggest gripe?!?!

I barely even use them...

The maps aren't SO big that you can't just click on where you want to go and do something else while your party is walking there.

I had to return to the Underdark myself for a few teleport parts I had missed. (Which was unfortunate because I hadn't yet completed my Goblin War in that earlier game save...

Now I'm tempted to teleport back to that exact point that you mentioned just to wipe out all the goblins all over again!

To be honest... I haven't managed to play BG3 again ever since I got my new video card and power supply. (I might've completed a couple of tiny side quests... but both were without a single battle.)

Got hit with Christmas, and New Years, my mom visiting, health issues, moto breakdown... It might be a minute before I can get back into a groove... but that's happened before with this game. I'm sure I'll be bounding back through the underdark in no time.

Can any class get a healing spell ? I am rogue archer elf. I don't really understand how Whithers works.

"Withers is a mysterious undead entity that joins the player on their adventures as a camp follower. He calls himself "a scribe, a seneschal - a keeper of records", and offers resurrection services to the party, allows characters to change or reset their class and provides the services of hirelings."

Put points into abilities that make you harder to hit or get as much AC as possible and you won't need to worry about healing (especially with a archer/rogue), in 3.5 I had a monk with vow of non-violence and poverty that had so much natural AC the DM spend the better part of a 4h campaign actively trying to kill me and only managed to even wound me when he hit a natural 20, fairly sure there's something in BG3 that will allow you to shift the rules in your favor somehow 😉

Back