• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Battlefield 4 Alpha benchmarks (GPU and CPU)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The new GeForce 331.40 beta driver is now available to download. An essential update for all new titles including the Battlefield 4 Beta, the 331.40 beta ensures maximum performance and system stability.

Everyone with Nvidia GPUs need to download this driver in order for the beta to work. I have no issues what so ever other than not being able to see my GPU stats in game via rivatuner. I don't know what FPS I guess but it's fairly smooth in surround on ultra settings. I feel blessed.

Just a note the command for FPS has changed...

The new command to display your FPS is: perfOverlay.drawfps 1, to turn it off type perfOverlay.drawfps 0

I am getting 30-40 FPS on ultra settings in surround. Yikes but its playable. Its actually smooth and not choppy at all. I believe once the drivers mature for this game I hope to see an average of 50 FPS. 60 would be asking for too much.

GTX, that's pretty good, 3 screens on ultra, wow! I'm installing the beta drivers, will report back in a few.

Edit: Just tested the game for 5 minutes only. Configured it on Ultra and I get using the command ED posted above around 50 FPS. It went as low as 40 and a few times hit the 60s. I found it a bit choppy since I'm used to play at 60fps. I hope it's just an optimization issue and not a hardware limitation.

Last edited:
I am getting 30-40 FPS on ultra settings in surround. Yikes but its playable. Its actually smooth and not choppy at all. I believe once the drivers mature for this game I hope to see an average of 50 FPS. 60 would be asking for too much.
That is at best a 25% increase from what you are seeing now or 66% for the low end. That is A LOT to ask of a driver IMO. The low end could take a several releases (read: a few months) to get there if it does.

That said, it is a beta, so maybe more will come from the Beta to Public release... who knows...

Last edited:
That is at best a 25% increase from what you are seeing now or 66% for the low end. That is A LOT to ask of a driver IMO. The low end could take a several releases (read: a few months) to get there if it does.

That said, it is a beta, so maybe more will come from the Beta to Public release... who knows...

I'm sorry but I realized that after the beta driver was installed, SLI got disabled :facepalm:

I tested again and I got max fps 95, lowest above 50 and average (what I saw while not shooting) around 75.

I saw a few glitches anyway, like the smoke of the cards was like... can I say blinking?

Nonetheless, with SLI activated, it looks a lot smoother.

Tonight, I'll try with some OC and try to stay over 60fps all the time. I'm also going to monitor the system specs to verify what's hurting.

Looking forward to see your results ED, I always wondered if I should have gone with the 780 instead.

Very true ED. I guess I was asking for a lot. lol Nothing wrong with being hopeful.
I'm sorry but I realized that after the beta driver was installed, SLI got disabled :facepalm:

I tested again and I got max fps 95, lowest above 50 and average (what I saw while not shooting) around 75.

I saw a few glitches anyway, like the smoke of the cards was like... can I say blinking?

Nonetheless, with SLI activated, it looks a lot smoother.

Tonight, I'll try with some OC and try to stay over 60fps all the time. I'm also going to monitor the system specs to verify what's hurting.

Looking forward to see your results ED, I always wondered if I should have gone with the 780 instead.

Nice! Are you in surround as well? No point in going over 60 FPS since your monitor in your signature shows its only a 60 hz screen. You're just making the GPU's work harder. Unless you have OC'd the monitor.

Very true ED. I guess I was asking for a lot. lol Nothing wrong with being hopeful.
Nothing wrong with it at all... but I would be more hopeful from the beta to public than drivers... Combined, after some time, you may be in there...

From Twitter: twitter.com/repi: "the #BF4" PC Beta is a beta, not all graphics options are hooked up or Tweaked yet and performance is not final. But please do test the game."

Nice! Are you in surround as well? No point in going over 60 FPS since your monitor in your signature shows its only a 60 hz screen. You're just making the GPU's work harder. Unless you have OC'd the monitor.

No surround but 1440p. I know I don't need more than 60 but I don't want not even 1 less.

In the big game with Conquest Large (50+ people) there's a lot of lag down by B, no matter what my ping or anyone elses is. It's weird because it is totally isolated to that area. Smooth as silk up on the skyscraper or over on the right side of the map with D and E.

I really like the audio and effects, a lot more accurate. Not sure about the realism of the full auto being quite concentrated. I think it is a bit on the arcade side, maybe that will change though.

Yikes, both my 560Ti and 7850 are in the same ballpark.

Not like I'm going to bother with BF4 when it goes live anyways, I'm done with that franchise.

My thoughts:

Let me preface this by saying my first step into the BF franchise was BFBC2, so I don't have the experience a lot of BF2 players have.
After having played for about 3-4 hours, my overall opinion is....meh. I'm sitting here trying to think of things to say that made me say, "WOW, I'm going to preorder this game," but nothing really jumps out at me. Some things I do like are how damaging vehicles with rockets gives you points (even if you don't kill them), increased volume of the map (ability to go inside and ontop of more buildings) and... that's about everything that jumps to mind. Now for the bad stuff..
IMHO it's too easy to get killed, i think BFBC2 it was too difficult, but BF3 was more fair than this. That point may have something to do with the absurd accuracy of assault rifles, it doesn't seem like there is much recoil. If you're going to play the beta and want to do well...be a medic. The starting engineer weapon is god awful... PDWs and no carbines until you hit 36k engineering XP? I think that's a little much. Really detracts from being an engineer (though I think they did a good job with RPG-vehicle interaction), you almost can't defend yourself if you don't shoot first. Not to mention the recoil with the PDW is too much. These all could be fixed by release...
What is still in the air for me is the motion of the player and game. A few of my friends don't like it, and claim its too much like COD/arcade-like. For myself, the jury is still out. It's definitely not as big of a transition as BC2 to BF3, but its different. Kinda feels like MoH. I doubt they can fix that.
Also, I really wish the put rush in the beta... conquest gets very old with 1 map. Hopefully they'll add more content as the beta goes on.
Bugs I have now are being stuck in death, and not being able to re-deploy. Game is absolutely playable on my 460 @1600x900 with med/high settings, except when there is A LOT going on, its slows down a bit. Drivers and time will fix these issues.

Bottom line: hang on to your pants, its nothing ground-breaking

EDIT: I only really play medic or engineer, so I can't comment too much on recon/assault

sorry if i missed it or this is a dumb question but...

do you have to pre-order BF4 in order to play the beta?

sorry if i missed it or this is a dumb question but...

do you have to pre-order BF4 in order to play the beta?

It's "Exclusive" for the first 3 days to MoH, BF3 Premium, Pre-Order of BF4 users. Than its open to the public. This beta is open for 2 week.

No, have premium, MOH, or preordered to get in before the 3rd. I believe starting on the 3rd it is opened to all.

Back