• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Been 6yrs needing to do a build requesting a review of my build list?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hogbert_1999

Gurus looking for some thoughts and suggestions based on a build I am looking at:

I am undecided on the GPU (thinking either a used 1080Ti and waiting it out or a new 2080Ti) still wading through whether Ray tracing is going anywhere and whether it is all worth it?

This will be on a custom water loop (my first so be gentle still feeling my way through that stuff!

CPU: I am set on the I9-9900K (already purchased) so ryzen etc off the table!

Looking at decent overclock but not crazy as I want stability and a long time from the build.

MB: Gigabyte - Z390 AORUS MASTER ATX LGA1151 Motherboard

RAM: Really struggling to wade through SS Vs DS 4x8gb and 2x16gb B die E Die Frequency Latency verses $$ and what is realistic in this CPU MB combo??

Power Supply - SeaSonic - PRIME Titanium 750 W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Storage: Will be MVME for C: Drive, other details are still being worked out

Case: Lian Li 011D

Cooling: TBA (still a bit to work through in my head yet !

Sorry for the ramble just getting in the weeds with MB purchase and RAM thought I might reach out and see which direction i should be looking and any other component advice welcome :)

Wow,

that looks very similar to what I am going building in the near future

The Master looks Solid, Joe has a good deal on a Super Micro as well , I just got the Master off of him

https://www.overclockers.com/supermicro-c9z390-pgw-motherboard-review-enterprise-grade-for-gamers/

I went with 3200 / cas 14 Tridents, was lucky hit a sale for $ 127.99 for 2x8bgs at the egg

just keep checking , they typiclly go for about $ 195.00

Probably save a few bucks on the PS Evga has the 750 G3 on sale for $ 99.99 at the evga store, or B stock version I think for $ 79.99 (Scratch and dent)

case is the case, just so it lines up with the type o cooling you are looking to do

I ended up going with the Fractile S2 for its water cooling capabilities

the MVME drives I am not to familiar with, I stuck with Samsung as I have been using their drive forever

Not sure if you are a gamer, that is where it gets ugly, They want your first born for cards now a days ............. It is crazy :screwy:

Wow,

that looks very similar to what I am going building in the near future

The Master looks Solid, Joe has a good deal on a Super Micro as well , I just got the Master off of him

https://www.overclockers.com/supermicro-c9z390-pgw-motherboard-review-enterprise-grade-for-gamers/

I went with 3200 / cas 14 Tridents, was lucky hit a sale for $ 127.99 for 2x8bgs at the egg

just keep checking , they typiclly go for about $ 195.00

Probably save a few bucks on the PS Evga has the 750 G3 on sale for $ 99.99 at the evga store, or B stock version I think for $ 79.99 (Scratch and dent)

case is the case, just so it lines up with the type o cooling you are looking to do

I ended up going with the Fractile S2 for its water cooling capabilities

the MVME drives I am not to familiar with, I stuck with Samsung as I have been using their drive forever

Not sure if you are a gamer, that is where it gets ugly, They want your first born for cards now a days ............. It is crazy :screwy:

Awesome thanks for the reply I will look into some of your suggestions is 2x8gb enough RAM ( I was thinking 3200 might be fast enough with OC) just not sure which type I should get as stated above. I have a GOLD 850 PSU from exisitng PC but dont want to tempt fate so looking to invest in a new one. Yes I wan tto game with it and hence why I am holding back re GPU ATM.

The only thing missing is the OS. Understand new computers typically need a new OS license to be legal. Remember, OEM/System Builder licenses (or upgrades based on OEM/SB licenses) cannot be transferred "legally" to a new computer under any circumstances.

I would not worry about SS or DS RAM. Just check the motherboard QVL for RAM and make sure you select RAM with the same specs as listed RAM.

32GB may be a bit overkill, but if the budget allows, I would probably do that too. And if possible, I would go 2 x 16. That will leave 2 more slots available in case I want to go crazy with RAM in 2 or 3 years.

Thanks Bill yes I will be going with a 64bit Win 10 OS for this however I am still down in the hardware weeds..

I have dropped the coin on the Aurus Master after reading the build comments on PC partpicker (all seemed positive)

Thanks for the RAM advice I did a ton more research last night on RAM and I was seeing that maybe 32gb maybe something I can come back on at a push (just would be nice for Adobe Premier). I also want to compliment the build with RGB (however do not wan to be a disco ball in there). I noted that the Gigabyte Fusion seems to be mostly supported by the Ram sticks nowadays so should work of the one piece of software on the MB..?

I also grabbed 1 x Samsung 970pro last night for the boot drive (512gb) so that’s another piece finalised.

I see that the PSU calculators have me wanting to buy a 850w psu with an OC 9900k and OC 2080i ( used as a test case to determine which PSU I should get) this seems a bit overkill based on other builds I am seeing??

EVGA 850 G3 on Amazon Prime free one day delivery for $ 125.99

just got one today ........... l:rofl:

What PSU calculator did you use? The only one, in my opinion, worth using is the eXtreme Power Supply Calculator. Use it to determine your minimum and recommended power supply unit (PSU) requirements. Plan ahead and plug in all the hardware you think you might have in 2 or 3 years. This might include extra hard drives, a bigger or 2nd video card, more RAM, etc. I recommend setting Computer Utilization to 16 hours per day and CPU Utilization to 100%. These steps adjust for capacitor aging and ensure the supply has adequate head room for stress free (and perhaps quieter) operation. These steps also add a little buffer for unplanned future upgrades or added hardware demands.

Not knowing everything you will be putting in there, even when I stretch it a bit with 4 sticks of RAM and 3 x 140mm fans, I get where a 600W supply will do fine, as seen here. And that sounds about right to me.

What PSU calculator did you use? The only one, in my opinion, worth using is the eXtreme Power Supply Calculator. Use it to determine your minimum and recommended power supply unit (PSU) requirements. Plan ahead and plug in all the hardware you think you might have in 2 or 3 years. This might include extra hard drives, a bigger or 2nd video card, more RAM, etc. I recommend setting Computer Utilization to 16 hours per day and CPU Utilization to 100%. These steps adjust for capacitor aging and ensure the supply has adequate head room for stress free (and perhaps quieter) operation. These steps also add a little buffer for unplanned future upgrades or added hardware demands.

Not knowing everything you will be putting in there, even when I stretch it a bit with 4 sticks of RAM and 3 x 140mm fans, I get where a 600W supply will do fine, as seen here. And that sounds about right to me.

Really wierd check this out:

OuterVision PSU Calculator part list

Motherboard: Desktop
CPU: 1 x Intel Core i9-9900X
CPU Speed: 3600MHz
CPU Vcore: 1.2V
CPU Utilization: 90%
Memory: 4 x 16GB DDR4 Module
Video Card Set 1: 1 x NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti
Core Clock: 1350MHz
Memory Clock: 1750MHz
Storage: 1 x M.2 SSD
Optical Drive: 1 x Blu-Ray Drive
Other Device: 0 x USB 2.0 Device
Keyboard: 1 x Standard Keyboard
Mouse: 1 x Standard Mouse
Fan: 3 x 140mm
Liquid Cooling Kit: 1 x Corsair Hydro H110i
Liquid Cooling Pump: 1 x Danger Den DD12V-D5
Computer Utilization: 16 hours per day
Gaming/Video Editing/3D Rendering Time: 4 hours per day
Monitor: 1 x LED 32 inches

Load Wattage: 634W
Recommended Wattage: 684W
Amperage: +3.3V: 11.9A, +5V: 12.4A, +12V: 44.4A
Recommended UPS Rating: 1250VA
Generated by OuterVision PSU Calculator 2019-01-24 05:45:01

Not sure why its different.. After more research it seems the 2080TI OC with I9-9900k OC there is a fair bit of load. I am thinking the 750 maybe they way forward to future proof a little without losing too much efficiency and $$

650W-750W unit for this build... including overclocking and having adequate headroom. Me, if multi-gpu isn't in the cards, I would go 650W.

Me, if multi-gpu isn't in the cards, I would go 650W.
I think that would be safe. It should be noted that when calculating power requirements either manually or with a PSU calculator, it must be done factoring in the maximum power demands of every device. But the reality is, it would be EXTREMELY RARE (if it happens at all) for every component (motherboard, RAM, CPU, graphics, drives, fans, lights and all other devices) to be demanding maximum power at the exact same point in time.

You picked a great case for the custom loop! I just built one in it and it was an awesome experience. If you are set on either a 9 fan setup or vertical GPU then this won't be for you, but both Raidikult (can be found on ebay) and Bitspower (and also I believe a Chinese company on aliexpress) sell panel resevoirs that will fit in the front/side 360mm area. I used one from Raidikult with the holes reversed from his initial placement, this allows the D5 to be mounted in the rear cable management area. I did have to bend one fan mounting tab for this. You can see some pics here. Also some people have gotten creative with the vertical GPU mounts and combined a vertical GPU with a bottom rad, but it required placing fans externally I belive.

I would also urge you to watch this this youtube review for some fitment details. There is a list on Lian Li's website detailing which blocks and reservoirs will fit. I have a 60mm top rad with fans and I don't even overlap the motherboard.

I can't comment too much on Intel stuff, but I think 16 GB is plenty right now, though I wouldn't fault anyone for going 32.

Really wierd check this out:

OuterVision PSU Calculator part list

Motherboard: Desktop
CPU: 1 x Intel Core i9-9900X
CPU Speed: 3600MHz
CPU Vcore: 1.2V
CPU Utilization: 90%
Memory: 4 x 16GB DDR4 Module
Video Card Set 1: 1 x NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti
Core Clock: 1350MHz
Memory Clock: 1750MHz
Storage: 1 x M.2 SSD
Optical Drive: 1 x Blu-Ray Drive
Other Device: 0 x USB 2.0 Device
Keyboard: 1 x Standard Keyboard
Mouse: 1 x Standard Mouse
Fan: 3 x 140mm
Liquid Cooling Kit: 1 x Corsair Hydro H110i
Liquid Cooling Pump: 1 x Danger Den DD12V-D5
Computer Utilization: 16 hours per day
Gaming/Video Editing/3D Rendering Time: 4 hours per day
Monitor: 1 x LED 32 inches

Load Wattage: 634W
Recommended Wattage: 684W
Amperage: +3.3V: 11.9A, +5V: 12.4A, +12V: 44.4A
Recommended UPS Rating: 1250VA
Generated by OuterVision PSU Calculator 2019-01-24 05:45:01

Not sure why its different.. After more research it seems the 2080TI OC with I9-9900k OC there is a fair bit of load. I am thinking the 750 maybe they way forward to future proof a little without losing too much efficiency and $$

Not bumping vcore for an overclock on CPU ?

Some 2080 Ti's are 250 watt reference,There are a lot of 300 watt versions, bump slider to 20% if you are eyeing one of those + over volt if applicable

just one storage drive ?

why the all in one and a D5 ? maybe I missed something ?

Looks like a killer build :salute:

Ok I am progressing slowly still struggling to find good skill ram that’s available in oz. also trying to work out if I should get the Auros extreme wb (20180ti) or just get a cheaper ref pcb and put a water block on it myself?

Settled on the sea sonic prime ultra 750w PSU
Lian Li-011d
I9-9900k
Gigabyte Auros Master
Samsung 970 pro (512gb)
WD black 1tb M.2

WOW thanks for the response I have been tentative about it but now I have confidence to get one ordered :)

Next thing to get my head around will be rad and pump res dist plate etc. RAM is on hold can not find stock of what i want :-(

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

@Witchdoctor I just read your build thread looks great something I am aspiring too I guess LOL

Back