• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Been a long time since i did any serious intel o/c. Advise please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ogboot

well, i'm trying to determine which e21xx that i am going to purchase to overclock. I had a lil matx asus board fall into my lap (p5l-mx) and through some surfing have seen people running 1066+ buses on them. Yes, this is going to be a budget overclock, in the true overclocking spirit. :bday:
I haven't messed with Intel in a while at home, but I test the systems at work frequently and apparently you can lower the multi if need be. with that in mind should I go with the e2180 and just lower the multi for higher fsb if it gets to that point? i'll prob switch out the board eventually, but I want that to be the only thing that I replace when it happens.

Sorry for the wall of text, and thanks in advance.

IMO, the short answer to your question is yes. However, keep in mind the E2xxx (and E4xxx) series CPUs do not like dropped multi's plus high FSB. For instance, my E4400 is fine at its default multi (10) up to 3.5GHz. However, regardless of the multi I use, it refuses to post past 380FSB. It's something to keep in mind. As you can see from my 24/7 OC in my sig, I dropped it to 9x to get it on the 1333 strap. Just know there are limitations to what you're thinking about.

Back