• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help! I'm having a really hard time O/C with my new rig

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dougfrippon

Well I received my new parts yesterday and took the entire day assembling and installing windows.

Case : Cooler Master HAF X
PSU : Corsair 1050w
CPU : Intel i7 Ivy core 3770k
MOBO : Asus Sabertooth Z77
Cooler : Noctua NH-D14
Memory : 4x4gigs of G.Skills Jigsaw of DD3-1600 F3-12800CL9
Video Card : 2x Gigabyte GTX-670 OC Edition
SDD : (Recycling my old Crucial C300 128gb)

I installed windows and a few programs, once the PC was stable I started trying some overclocking. Changing multiplicator from 35x to 49x right away (4.9ghz), with a 1.38v VCORE. Right away I can tell something is wrong, in the POST screen it still says my cpu is @3.5ghz. I go to the bios to check my temps haven't changed and the multi really is at 49x.So I get it in windows, but even tough my temps were below 40degrees I got a few blue screen so I toned it down to 48x with 1.35v and now it has never crashed.

CPU ID Shows my cpu Core Speed being at 4.8ghz. But under "Specification" it says :
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770k CPU @ 3.50ghz. Other applications such as 3D Mark 11 report my PC running at 3.5ghz aswell... what's going on? Is it O/C'ed or not?

Well after a couple messing around I shrug it off and give 3D Mark 11 a try. I get the worse score ever. I wonder, wth? A quick comparaison with a good score explained why. It says I'm running with TWO Cpu Cores instend of four?!!!!? Wow I went in the bios put a bunch of stuff back to Auto, removed the overclock, default VCORE.. still same thing each time I boot now my computer only has 2 cores.... !?!?!?! I've been googling/reading a lot of stuff, but 2cores on my IVY bridge nothing comes up for that.. Oh PC Wizard and taskmanager apparently show activity from 4 cores... this is f'ed up

On top of that my gigabyte 670s are suposed to be @ 980mhz core, and multiple programs report the core running at 751mhz. :bang head

Sight.. here is a screen I just took:

edit: I cleared CMOS booted with default setting and it still says 2 cores

edit2: Resolved the biggest problem of all.. # of cores.
run > MSCONFIG > advanced options > numbers of core

So here's the thing.. I had this set to 4.. but apparently this screws up everything.
Unchecked the box, reboot, CPU-ID now shows 4 cores.

Last edited:
First you need to download GPU-Z and coretemp. And or adjusting or overclocking your GPU's, get rid of ntune and install nvidia inspector or evga precision. I would completely uninstall anything to do with nvidia, and install just the driver and physx in the custom installation with the "clean install" feature checked. Once you do all of that, then take a screenshot with gpu-z and show us what's going on. I think that you might have saved a profile that has lower clocks, and it is running on boot (but who knows). Best to be rid of an old program anyways. I have never heard of pc wizard and wouldn't trust anything it says. 3dmark programs have also been known to be flaky in their detection of components and clockspeeds. As far as your cpu overclock goes, tou will need to do a few things. Use coretemp to see where your processor is temperature wise under load. I suspect that you might be throttling, or you do not have hyperthreading enabled. Go into the cpu features section of your bios and set cores enabled to 4, hyperthreading to enabled, eist disabled, and c1,c3 disabled. You should see in cpu-z that at the bottom it says 4 cores 8 threads. This will mean that your processor is running as it should. You might need more vcore to make it stable with hyperthreading. Use Intel burn test, or prime95 for stability testing and watch the temps while you are doing this. I hope this helps point you in the right direction.

Back