• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Been Gone Awhile... This place still heating things up??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TuKr

Hi Guys, its been awhile. Recently had a motherboard die, came here looking for repair info, didnt find any but figured i would check in with yall. Hows every body been?

Hanging in there!! Nobody likes the expensive power hungry parts, but we're getting along, lol!

You?

I know on the benching side we have fallen behind, here and on the bot :-( The monthly overclock-ta-gon is currently on hold and not sure of when it might start back.
On the :plus1: Side - Our Folding team is super hot right now :cool:

@EarthDog I feel that, Im still on a z270 with a 1080TI for my main. just had my other rig with a z97 mobo die, and i want it back.
@MaddMutt Id love to start again but decently priced hardware is hard to come by right now. I guess i have time to window shop for a bit.

^:rofl: I just got done benching a z87 & i7-4770k. That was a blast, so I grabbed a z68 & i7-2600k :cool: The current cpu & gpu prices, I have grabbed the older stuff to play with.

You make it tempting to go shopping good sir. Atleast cheaper GPU's seem to becoming a thing again. Might lead to a better used market soon. Which Z87 Board?

I had the asus m6e but got water damage in the socket :-( so I grabbed a m6g to finish benching. I had fun playing with the 46xx and 47xx CPU’s and the great g3258 :cool:

You make it tempting to go shopping good sir. Atleast cheaper GPU's seem to becoming a thing again. Might lead to a better used market soon. Which Z87 Board?
^ if you can get over the x58 (1366) mb cost, the i7-920/30/40/50 is running less than $40. The 920 is less that $10 :) The:plus1: is you get to keep your current memory (DDR3). The BAD though is good memory still cost $$$. You can still find some GEMS like Gskill - 2000 _9-9-9-27 (BBSE) for $25.

Its my z97 asus M7H that died... with my G3258(4.6 on AIR) on it. Power delivery somewhere, Havent found it yet. I think i have some DDR3 Hanging out somewhere. If youre interested in letting the M6G go, i might be interested if i get fed up with troubleshooting the M7H.

WOW g3258 @ 4.6ghz.. I was lucky to get a 2nd one to 4.7ghz under SS. I did delid it.. not sure if that might have stop it OCin.

I know on the benching side we have fallen behind, here and on the bot :-( The monthly overclock-ta-gon is currently on hold and not sure of when it might start back.
On the :plus1: Side - Our Folding team is super hot right now :cool:

A lot of people are still benching/overclocking but most of them lost interest in competitive benching or have no time for that on a larger scale. In some part, it's the way how competitive benching looks nowadays and it's not only on Overclockers but everywhere. If you check hwbot teams then those who are counting in rankings are always the same guys, fully sponsored, reviewers, or have too much time and money. There are some new guys from China/Taiwan who show up, make a single world record, and disappear. Those are usually related to manufacturers like MSI, ADATA, Team Group, and some more.
We lost some spots in the global rankings because most other teams, above us, are "national" teams or combined from multiple forums. People join large teams or teams that are high in rankings. Some even higher ranked jump between teams every some months. We used to lose 2-3 spots in one day in the global ranking because some guys were leaving our team.

There is another reason why people don't bench/overclock like they used to. Hardware is simply boring and prices are getting ridiculous. Every new generation gives us a limited overclocking potential. CPUs OC 100-300MHz, GPUs OC 5-7% max. This you can say about every single generation in the last ~7 years. Enthusiasts who simply love to play with hardware, stick with older series and push them to the limits. Older stuff also costs significantly less but also requires more knowledge.

I'll have to do some digging on hwbot to see if my pics are still there or not. I got to 4.7 but it was too much voltage for me to feel comfortable keeping it on air, I found 4.8 on water but decided it would spend its life with air.

Further trouble shooting on my board appears to be PCH related. CPU power is shorting but only after board power requests it. If I inject voltage at cpu power from a seperate supply it will stay up until about 9.5 volts then a short and she dies. Then power cycles for about a half second over and over.

I did find a seller on ebay with some 2066 CPUs at a solid deal but then I need to invest in an x299 board and more ram.

What would the chipset have to do with power for the CPU? Also 9.5V............Sounds...deadly. Are you talking about what your PSU is outputting?

If I start to buy hardware again I'll be in for a good time. Since I was last hear I moved a few times and had to get rid of most of the extra bits I didnt need. I still have some really old misc hardware that I'll have dig in boxes for but probably dont have supporting hardware. And no super close computer stores. But I'm stable in life and in a much better place than I was, own a home, steady job, and far less depression. Still lonely but not depressed about it anymore. Lol

WOW g3258 @ 4.6ghz.. I was lucky to get a 2nd one to 4.7ghz under SS. I did delid it.. not sure if that might have stop it OCin.

I have only 5.7GHz on ss - https://hwbot.org/submission/2646525_woomack_superpi___32m_pentium_g3258_5min_36sec_172ms
As I remember I was pushing my CPU up to 5GHz+ on ambient temps but don't remember if it was air or water.

Heh, I entered hwbot for the first time in some months and I see they changed rules again. Each time I check the ranking I gain or lose a lot of points. Now I have 30k user points. I have no idea for what as the last time I had 12k or something.

What would the chipset have to do with power for the CPU? Also 9.5V............Sounds...deadly. Are you talking about what your PSU is outputting?
So from the top, with 8pin CPU power and 24pin ATX power, if you try to turn on the board(power button) it comes up for about .5 second then the supply trips. CPU in or out doesnt matter. Disconnect cpu power keep the 24 pin connected, board will power up but never post because the cpu isnt powering. I've dug all through the vrm, cant find a single bad component, all caps are good all inductors solid, nothing shorted, even checked the caps in and under the socket, no problems.

If I introduce power to the 8 pin, I can get up to 9.5v before it trips the protection, I'm not over volting so I think what's happening is the PCH is commanding everything to turn on and when it does there is a diode or transistor that's fwd biasing and causing a short, Tripping overcurrent protection.

When it happened it was the first time in 3 years I had powered it on but everything was normal, I went to clean out some files on the harddrive and it froze, image still on screen, I held the button and then brought it back up to a blank check input screen.

*on mobile, formatting sucks

So.......the 8-pin EPS isn't coming close to spec (5% +/- 12V) before tripping... but the PCH is the problem?

Not sure where the problem is, but sounds borked. :(

So.......the 8-pin EPS isn't coming close to spec (5% +/- 12V) before tripping... but the PCH is the problem?

Not sure where the problem is, but sounds borked. :(
I can put 12 volts on the 8pin and nothing smokes, voltage isnt shorting there, it's only when the start button is pressed and pci/ram/ect tries to power up. The 8pin alone wont trip a bench supply.

Its definitely borked.

I might be misunderstanding the system but I cant find an obvious cause of failure. I'm going off a "repair guide" for an understanding of how it's supposed to boot, and I'm using boardview to find the layout of said circuits. I can pm the info to you if you want to try and help me understand it.

Back