• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Benching upgrade thoughts?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

funsoul

Hiya Folks!

Thinking about a possible benching upgrade and would love to hear your thoughts, ideas and recommendations. Looking to spend maybe around $1k.

Upgrade objectives and general stuff:
- get some 2D/3D global boints (my h/w boints are decent but my globals stink)
- want something that will be reasonably 2D competitive under cascade so I can use the ss for vga cards
- have a 3-4 of a lot of vga skus so want the ability to run them all in tri/quad sli/xfire (with the cards under water)

Current thoughts/options:
- buy a binned 4930k that should be able to run around 6GHz under cascade. It'd be a definite improvement over my 5.5GHz 3930k. I could also use hardware I already own. The downside is the chip is super pricey and would blow a lot of my budget. Also...the 3930k coldbugs at less than the cascade so would have to run it under ss (leaving cascade for vga's but iirc...most vga's coldbug around -70C-ish)
- do a completely new x99 build but to fit in the budget, would only be able to swing a 5820k...not sure how they do cold and pretty certain that given the chip lottery, the 6GHz 4930k would be more competitive.
- stick with what I've already got and maybe pick up a new vga card
- do nothing and save the cash
- ?

Given what I'm going after....are those my best options? Any other options that you think could do what I want to do? What do you think is my best choice atm?

As always...very much welcome any thoughts, feedback, ideas, etc. Plan to make a buy in about a month.

Last edited:
I think, for 2d globals, latest gen stuff z97 or x99. Either hope to win the lottery on one x99 chip or maybe get a z97 and 4790k, then get a bunch of g3258 to bin. Though I am out of the loop on how these handle cold.

Personally, I would like to try a few of the g3258, but I promised my wife I would cut back significantly on my hardware spending.

Last edited:
Thanks xsuperbgx!

Hmmmm...hadn't thought about 1150. A good setup (mobo/cpu + 3-4 g3258's) is definitely within range but have the following questions/concerns:
- not enough pci-e lanes to run quad vgas at full (or close to full) speed (objective is 2D AND 3D globals)...that's why I've been leaning toward socket 2011
- do you think a random 4790k would have any chance of outperforming 6.1GHz 4930k?
- dual-core is fine for older 3D's but would a random g3258 be able to beat the fast 4930k?
- any chance a random 5820k would beat the 4930k?

Bascially....I've got a huge pile of graphic cards that I want to bench out so, ideally, would want raging fast dual- and hex-core cpus.

Woomack, metalracer and others would be more helpful with most of those questions, I am would think that quad GPU would be better with x99 as well as the newer multi core 3d. All benches 1 or 2 GPU and older 3d benches would probably be better on z97.

I would invest into some pot's

CPU and a fat GPU

Once you have these it gives you the option to control temps. Cascade and SS are great things to have but have a few pitfalls

1 - Inability to control temps
2- holding load can be problematic at times
3 - breakdown and maintenance

we all know the up side , just turn it on ........ lmao

While this may not help in your Global effort it would be very effective in maxing out your current hardware

Bottom line, a 5.5 3930K is still a beastly competitive CPU

If I had that chip thinking I would be running every card I had through it for vantage and up

with your collection of hardware thinking this could easily get you into the top 20 in the nation

It also is the next logical step in the overclocking journey, be it the ability to DICE or LN2

For now I would recommend renting a Dewar until you confirm you really like it then buy one later if you get hooked as they are expensive

not to mention the stairs issue so a smaller one like a 35 would be good , a 50 up and down the steps is brutal

If your mind is made up though for hardware
GTX 980 = 550.00
z97 OCF = 220.00
4790K = 290.00 @ MC

this will be effective especially for 06 and down , still playing the lottery though

no z97 at less than 6.2 GHz will out pace your 5.5 3930K for vantage and up

Good luck bro :)

Last edited:
Thanks Witchdoctor!

As always you're input is hugely welcomed. Snagged EarthDog's z97 and a 6+GHz g3258 so figure I'm in good shape for older 3d's. Still seriously considering the 6GHz 4930k...it should seriously beat the poop out of the 3930k. It's SO good to be earning money again!! hehe

I think it'll take at least 1 more trip to Witchyville to get me hooked on ln2 (no interest in dice...too much of a pita for my lazy butt). That said....in a couple months will start keeping my eyes open for a great deal on pots and a small-ish dewar. Have to check around and see if I can get the kind of deal you get on your ln2...that's crazy awesome.

Congrats bro, that is a monster board.

It will push that g32 to the brink ,. may have to pick one of those up myself, looks like fun,

But have to recoup funds form x99 purchase first. Flat broke .... lol

Hope you are bring it with in November :thup:

Back