• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Benchmarking - How do I get started?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mikester70

Would really like to get into benchmarking.

What would you guys recommend? This is all new for me but I would really like to do some of this stuff. Was checking out the pics from the overclockers benching party and would like to learn more about sub zero benching.

Thing is I don't know anyone in Chicago that is into this type of stuff. Where should I start?

You don't know anyone in Chicago, huh? ;)

Lemme find a good post about what you'll need for DIce overclocking.

While it is a huge step to jump into sub-zero at the start, it's highly recommended that you overclock on air, find your maxes and such like that so you can carry over settings for when you run DIce.

Edit: This thread is very nice as a reference, http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6892346#post6892346. I would focus on Post number 22. :thup:

Start by submitting benches on air and becoming apart of our team.

Then, buy yourself a pot, buy some eraser, some dry ice, and start benching! It's very easy to get results under sub-zero temps. :D

I bench mostly air and I do okay. Read tutorials, threads about similar systems and as always RTFM. Be warned though overclocking is a drug.

big thing is download some benchmarking software and start getting your tweaking on.

Helps to have extra hardware on hand, first hand comparions of why things act the way they do when you push them to the limit is priceless. That or steal your buddys stuff when hes not looking.

Like pretty much everybody said, the first step is to do some benching on air and get familiar with the software end of things.
Seeing that you have a SandyBridge CPU at a decent speed, see if you can find a cheap 8800 series nvidia GPU or ATI 4850/4870 (you want a reference design, feel free to post pictures/links to cards you find and we'll tell you), those two classes of GPU are quite cheap by and large, and are satisfying to bench as you can get some points on hwbot without having to use extreme cooling or risk your CPU's life.

Of course you get a lot more points with extreme cooling and danger zone type voltages/speeds, but best to save that for when you have a bit of experience IMO.
(That said, I benched for ~3-5 weeks before I bought my CPU pot and ran dry ice the first time. I tend to ignore my own advice.)

Thanks everyone for all the great replies.

I am going to try an push my cpu a little further (5ghz to start) on air.

Wouldn't my gtx 570 do better than a 8800 card in benchmarking?

if you can get your cpu up to around 5.3 then your 8800 will get you the 20 point required for entrance easily. it is worht lots of hardware points but not many globals. the 570 is better for those. just benching all the stuff in your sig will be good :thup:

It would do better, yes. BUT, as for HWBot, you want to bench things that have a ton of submissions to get big points. Cards (or CPUs) with thousands of submissions will gain you more points than say, four submission on a particular piece of hardware.

if you can get your cpu up to around 5.3 then your 8800 will get you the 20 point required for entrance easily. it is worht lots of hardware points but not many globals. the 570 is better for those. just benching all the stuff in your sig will be good :thup:

I have an 9800 in my old rig, would that be good for benching?

The 570 ought to be able to scratch globals if the mosfets don't explode first. They aren't exactly known for their longevity once you start adding voltage and benching them :D

The 9800GT is probably the place to start.

As others have said, I would just toss in older videocards that are worth some points into your sandy bridge setup with the OCed CPU and see what you can get out of it point-wise. Once you get into tweaking and finding out the maxes for the different settings is when it either gets really fun or really frustrating depending on your tendencies -- I am right in the middle, depending on if things are working or just effectively taking a dump on my keyboard!

OK so I registered at hwbot, my rig as is will I be able to earn enough points to get on the benching team or do I need to make some changes?

Also looking at my sig which benchmarks will earn me the most points at the current settings?

Someone might turn up, I was all alone unless I wanted to drive to one (1) person six hours away.
Then a n00b showed up 6 miles south of me!

There's one guy in central SC. Isn't very active, but having someone nearby might help.

Back