• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best 120mm fan?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
nikhsub1 said:
beware that the evercool fans are NOT the rated specs. there is no way they are 80CFM @ 30dBa, just an impossibility with those specs for a 25mm thick fan. The Panaflo L1A is 69CFM @ 30dBa and it is 38mm thick. Just doesn't add up. I believe the evercools are closer to 40dBa.

I remember thinking exactly this way when the Evercool came out and the only 120mm fan I had was the 120mm Panaflo L1A @ 69CFM. I simply could not believe the 120mm Evercool could be that much better than the Panaflo. Then I bought 2 of the Evercools. Now I'm not saying the specs for the Evercools are exactly right... how would I know anyway. However, I can tell you each of my Evercools at 12V pushed more air than the Panaflo at 12V and I can only guess it's may be a 10CFM difference with each sounding not noticably louder than the other. Although, the Evercool to me sounds better than the Panaflo. Another noticable difference is the Panaflo pushes the air in more of a tunnel pattern than the Evercool which seems to spray the air with less direction. Also, I've since 7volt modded all 3 of these fans and the Evercool still pushes more air and now makes less noise than the Panaflo.

For a silent 120mm fan I recommend the 120mm Evercool at 7volts over the 120mm Panaflo at 7volts.

Last edited:
nikhsub1 said:

You are better off with 38mm thick fans... I have 4 Panaflo M1A's (86 CFM, 35 dBa) on my heater cores all on a rheostat. I would recommend the M1A's - at 7V they are dead silent. I got 5 of them on ebay for $30 shipped. Funny enough, this is the guy on ebay i got mine from: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3441360675&category=3673

Well, they do not ship internationally, so I can't really get that.
anyways, Evercool can't just write cfm rating, it's probably +-5-7CFMs.
I'll try to seek the Panaflos here in Israel if I can't find any I'll get the Evercools from DDen.

Thanks anyway nikhsub1,
Suma.

If you're going to for a quite system, don't get the Roton 172mm fans. They are frreaking loud man plus they can chop almost anything with the metal blades.

Good luck dude!

Suma said:
The Evercool is 12$ at DDen.
thx
Hehe, I haven't ever looked at site to which you linked earlier, assuming some crazy price for that fan :)
But when I checked shipping costs... They hurt a lot :(
How's that? $12 for fan and $50 for shipping , total price $62 (lol)

Fry's Electronics has most third party fans now. I think their Evercool is about $12 too minus the shipping. Anybody think instant transmission will cheapen the cost of shipping? LOL

Ven0m said:

thx
Hehe, I haven't ever looked at site to which you linked earlier, assuming some crazy price for that fan :)
But when I checked shipping costs... They hurt a lot :(
How's that? $12 for fan and $50 for shipping , total price $62 (lol)

Man hear me out!, I see you live in Poland, well I live in Israel.
The site says you can ship it only via Fedex Intl. Priority, well I talked to the guys over there (Dan I think) and asked them if I can use the Fedex Intl. Economy instead, that's how I saved 10$ for the shipping. It's a 3 days difference, well I won't kill no1 for 3 days, as well as pay extra 10$ (I'm a poor student) ;)

Suma.

I'm a poor student too :) That's why I want to give max $15 for fan. I heard that some shops sell these evercool in Poland, so maybe it will fit in my limits.

That's also why I still haven't got my rig finished. No time and no money at all, so all stuff has to be "DIY". Exceptions are 2000lph pump ($30), car radiator ($12), 35cm fan ($10). And objective is to have all-water comp <$100 (not counting time). At lest I can borrow tools from grandpa :)

And here all stuff is so expensive :( I have to make external box, not only because of performance, but also that I cannot afford having nice case. Power supply would be probably DIY too - good ones are very expensive and now I'm running "the most value-style" 300Watts. It's good that my old one burnt and shop replaced it. On "R.I.P." one, when I oced my Ge4 hard, 3.3v line dropped <2.8v and 5v ran around 4.6v :)

Unfortunatly fans cannot be hand-made, but fortunatly their cost isn't too extreme in most cases. I even consdier this evercool to have very good price and performance/price ratio. I wanted to have this one in that power supply. This way around price of the cheapsest PSU, I could have nice one with stable & adjustable voltages, possibly even some auto-setup to give more power when OCed parts want more...

Btw, does anyone know if there's a good method to limit DC fan speed without using resistor (assuming that it's connected to normal PSU)?

What's wrong with a resisor/pot?
I'll run mine with 2xEnermax 120mm adjustable fans.

Suma.

I just wanted something easily adjustable, what wouldn't heat too much. And I don't know the name in English for adjustable resistor, but it's not so easy (and cheap) to get one capable of running at high power (running with fan is stressing for resistor)

And if that thingie was digital, after getting some knowledge, I could add control for it from comp.

Well, you can always get one of these panels ... like the Vantec one (forgot the name :()

Or, you can go with the Enermax which is alreay adjustable.

Suma.

Thx for info, I'll rather try to get that alu fan. And with RPM limiting - maybe some electronics shop nearby will have what I need.

Back