• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best 1x4GB for this laptop? Help greatly appreciated!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It probably comes w/ DDR3-1333, but the spec. page you linked to doesn't specify the speed. Just wait until after you get it, then open CPU-Z to the Memory and SPD tabs, where you can find out the details of the preinstalled module.

Mixing different kinds of RAM can limit overclocking potential, but you're not overclocking the RAM in a laptop. As long as you get something with appropriate speed and timings, you shouldn't have any trouble. I mix laptop RAM all the time.

I don't usually care when I mix RAM as long as I'm not overclocking it.

My pfSense box has 2GB Kingston RAM and some 1GB random RAM that popped out of my RAM box, for example.

Most notebook RAMs are 1333 9-9-9 or 1600 11-11-11. If you wish to get something good then look for 1600 9-9-9 like Hyperx 2x4GB 1600 CL9 1.5V.
When you mix RAM then both sticks will probably run at slower stick settings or board will read SPD from faster stick and won't boot with slower one so best is just get 2 new higher speed sticks.

If you don't care about fastest memory then just get any stick that is close in specification to the one that you already have. All SODIMM should have about the same base SPD and should work together without issues.

Back