• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX-9590 stability issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
@1.5250v and more, what liquid cooling would bring a true equilibrium to his set up disregarding the motherboard and Power Supply?

Tempted to drop mine in a fish tank....

I had forgotten...

...forgotten this thread when I was going back thru the AMD Motherboard Section.

This user came into another thread that had gone dead and was asked to start his own. He did and was worked with to GET BACK TO STOCK settings. He then reported all his crashing was GONE. Look at the setup.
MOBO- sabertooth 990fx r2.0
CPU - amd 9590fx black - with water cooler (came with the processor)

Now I certainly do not recommend the cooler used in link above. I like to PLAY with my overclock and settings but without EXTREME COOLING one cannot do that with an FX-9590 it seems. So run the cpu as AMD designed it to be run and stay out of the bios and use the rig.

I am going back thru all the FX-9xxx threads in the AMD Mobo section since there are more of them in that forum section.

This was a younger user going to college and we had "fun" in his thread. OT more than once but got him sorted. COOLING was KEY.
AMD 9370 issues with Crosshair Formula V - Z < Finally got his sorted with full on W/Cooling. To clock up with ALL 8 cores running.

RGone...

Last edited:
...forgotten this thread when I was going back thru the AMD Motherboard Section.

This user came into another thread that had gone dead and was asked to start his own. He did and was worked with to GET BACK TO STOCK settings. He then reported all his crashing was GONE. Look at the setup.
MOBO- sabertooth 990fx r2.0
CPU - amd 9590fx black - with water cooler (came with the processor)

Now I certainly do not recommend the cooler used in link above. I like to PLAY with my overclock and settings but without EXTREME COOLING one cannot do that with an FX-9590 it seems. So run the cpu as AMD designed it to be run and stay out of the bios and use the rig.

I am going back thru all the FX-9xxx threads in the AMD Mobo section since there are more of them in that forum section.

This was a younger user going to college and we had "fun" in his thread. OT more than once but got him sorted. COOLING was KEY.
AMD 9370 issues with Crosshair Formula V - Z < Finally got his sorted with full on W/Cooling. To clock up with ALL 8 cores running.

RGone...

Looks like the guy fixed his problem by doing two things: reset the CMOS and make sure the cpu gets 1.5v?

NOTE: I have changed my PSU to a highly rated 1000w PSU. Here it is: http://www.corsair.com/en-us/rm-series-rm1000-80-plus-gold-certified-power-supply

Last edited:
Looks like the guy fixed his problem by doing two things: reset the CMOS and make sure the cpu gets 1.5v?

I went back and read the link for user androshalforc and I am of two minds as to how the two things you asked were accomplished.

1. He did NOT clear the CMOS but instead removed the battery for a few mins; put battery back and then booted into the bios and LOADED Optimized Defaults.

2. What that should do in theory is REmove all settings put there by a user messing around in the bios.
A. Turn on Cool N Quiet.
B. Likely clock the ram down in speed and loosen the crap out of the timings.
C. REenable TurboCore so that NO more than 1/2 of the cores can clock up to 5.0Ghz.
D. REenable all the power saving settings that in theory the cpu can speak to the mobo about doing. WHICH includes dumping the cpu speed so quickly that often it is not even seen and then back up again. Not so good for gaming sometimes, but can often seem to get around poor cooling by reducing performance.
E. REenable cpu telling the mobo that it wants a ton of voltage to the cpu when loaded.

That in general is what I think happened at the first link I showed earlier to androshalforc's thread. There was not a LOT of information there as most people just don't tell the entire story in words. Lazy I guess, but knowing what I think I know about battery out and Load Optimized Defaults...what I described is probably what got him crutched to where he felt okay.

Then the link to the college man is where he actually got into overclocking and wanted his rig to run like we use ours when pushing 4.8GHz with ALL cores working and he got him some SERIOUS cool. The route I have gone. The route Johan and Mandrake have gone along with Bassnut and a number of the other helpers.

I would duplicate EXACTLY what androshalforc did and not what you thought you read since he did not exactly clear the CMOS as you read ShrimpBrime asking him about. Check it then under P95 Blend loading for at least 20 mins with HWMonitor open and logging temps and voltages. Then capture and attach that HWMonitor to the forum along with CPUz > CPU Tab > CPUz Memory Tab > CPUz SPD Tab. Four captures. Of course it is hoped you don't crash immediately under the P95 Load. IF it does crash the first thing I would try is to go into BIOS and take CPU LLC from AUTO and set to Ultra I believe it is 2 notches down from the highest which is like Extreme. That CPU LLC raised might allow enough cpu voltage under load to run P95 in Blend mode.

The entire problem now revolves about 99% certain around too much heat and all I am trying to do is crutch you to being able to use the rig. It can be done by going into bios and setting mulitplier to 22 and runninig at 4.4GHz and making way less heat and it may come to that if you are not going to cool that HEAT monster FX-9590.

RGone...

I would duplicate EXACTLY what androshalforc did and not what you thought you read since he did not exactly clear the CMOS as you read ShrimpBrime asking him about. Check it then under P95 Blend loading for at least 20 mins with HWMonitor open and logging temps and voltages. Then capture and attach that HWMonitor to the forum along with CPUz > CPU Tab > CPUz Memory Tab > CPUz SPD Tab. Four captures. Of course it is hoped you don't crash immediately under the P95 Load. IF it does crash the first thing I would try is to go into BIOS and take CPU LLC from AUTO and set to Ultra I believe it is 2 notches down from the highest which is like Extreme. That CPU LLC raised might allow enough cpu voltage under load to run P95 in Blend mode.

RGone...

I'll do this later today, but I am fed up with this whole thing, as you can probably imagine. I'll get those captures and post them, but I refuse to not be able to turbo my cpu to 5.0, that's why I bought it, even if I did it with little to no research and information. What I am going to do is get a beast water cooling system. That would in theory eliminate all my system locks, right? If so, what cooling system would anyone suggest that would GUARENTEE that my cpu doesn't overheat at 5.0GHz, all cores, and no additional overclocking?

There is no GUARENTEE on anything.
Run it at stock settings, then it will turbo to 5 gig the way it's supposed to, but it won't be on all cores. Turbo only does half the cores.
If you want 5 gig on all cores you have to overclock to an extent, and maybe your particular CPU just ain't up to that task.

Run it at stock settings, then it will turbo to 5 gig the way it's supposed to, but it won't be on all cores. Turbo only does half the cores.
If you want 5 gig on all cores you have to overclock to an extent, and maybe your particular CPU just ain't up to that task.

Okay, I understand, but can I get a recommendation on what I should do about a better cooling system?

Okay, I understand, but can I get a recommendation on what I should do about a better cooling system?

Recommendations for cooling will be like noses...afraid everyone will have one.

1. What computer case is all your stuff mounted in. HUGE difference if you have a case that is n0t water cooling friendly.

2. Well crap without the answer to #1.) there is not too much else can be said but generalities.

3. Something like a $250.00 price point? Quite a number of differing KITS in that range.

4. I am saying in KIT form so that just about all that is needed is one box. Easier for first-timers than getting radiator here, water block there and so on. A lot of the times it is cheaper as well. No shipping from different locations.

5. Do you want to be done with guessing if there is enough cool to let that FX-9590 TurboCore up to 5.0GHz on 4 cores? The reason I ask this way is that I have been 'searching' the net for water cooling FX-9590 and the search hits sound like diddley do. Oh 'think' this will do. Oh no get this it surely works and is cheaper and on and on.

6. And as for case location environment, the case is not inside a computer desk?

RGone...

I would say bare minimum 360 rad ..... 30 mm thick, for me personally 45mm to 60mm thick but that's me. Find a case that you like that will let you mount that with enough room for fans and such, that's the hard part and you are good to go. A kits a good way to start like RGone has stated and yes things can add up quick when you get into this side of the hobby. I just swapped out ridged tubing for flexible and added cheap compression fittings just that alone totaled just over $200 Canadian by the time it got to my door that's taxes and shipping included.

Thanks for providing me all the information so far guys! You have all been a great help! I'm getting my cooling problem resolved with a custom loop, so I'm reading all about those ATM. In any case, I have a question about voltage drop. How do I prevent that from happening when the cpu needs it most? It seems to drop from the recommended 1.5250v but it seems to drop to around 1.2xxx v during heavy processes.

Are you sure it drops that far? That sounds more like a light load voltage.

That sounds like cool & quiet kicking in when it's idling or light load. Is that just what is showing in HWMONITOR? To test pop open prime and have CPUZ or HWMONITOR and watch your VCORE while prime is running and again after you shut prime down. In HWMonitor you would be watching the value segment not min or max.

Nah, turbos only one core.

Thanks for providing me all the information so far guys! You have all been a great help! I'm getting my cooling problem resolved with a custom loop, so I'm reading all about those ATM. In any case, I have a question about voltage drop. How do I prevent that from happening when the cpu needs it most? It seems to drop from the recommended 1.5250v but it seems to drop to around 1.2xxx v during heavy processes.

Set CPU Load Line Calibration on second highest or highest setting available.

1.52500v dropped to 1.2xxxxv is no good. This cpu should be around 1.4125v and up at stock 4.7ghz w turbo 5ghz sometimes will request up to 1.52500v. If you see a drop like that while running in manual mode, see above statement. If your running on auto OC, then see Bassnuts post 69 above and turn off C1E and Cool and Quiet.

I recommend trying to see how long it lasts at 1.487500v up to 4.9ghz no turbo manual OC Cool and Quiet off. If it hangs, more volts.

Side tracked.....

Shutting off 4 cores and try your overclock again. If you still recieve hang ups, 1.5250v is still recommended at 4.4ghz and up. However you may encounter less hangs with 4 cores off and less voltage, may also see less v-droop.

If you continue seeing a big V-droop, you may want to test 12v rails with a meter to be sure they are stable. 11.95x-^^ v ok, should be over 12v. 11.8v, you have a problem with the PSU. Should be tested while under full load conditions.

Nah, turbos only one core.

Set CPU Load Line Calibration on second highest or highest setting available.

1.52500v dropped to 1.2xxxxv is no good. This cpu should be around 1.4125v and up at stock 4.7ghz w turbo 5ghz sometimes will request up to 1.52500v. If you see a drop like that while running in manual mode, see above statement. If your running on auto OC, then see Bassnuts post 69 above and turn off C1E and Cool and Quiet.

I recommend trying to see how long it lasts at 1.487500v up to 4.9ghz no turbo manual OC Cool and Quiet off. If it hangs, more volts.

Side tracked.....

Shutting off 4 cores and try your overclock again. If you still recieve hang ups, 1.5250v is still recommended at 4.4ghz and up. However you may encounter less hangs with 4 cores off and less voltage, may also see less v-droop.

If you continue seeing a big V-droop, you may want to test 12v rails with a meter to be sure they are stable. 11.95x-^^ v ok, should be over 12v. 11.8v, you have a problem with the PSU. Should be tested while under full load conditions.

I got a PSU tester a while ago, so I tested to 12v rails and they check out just a thousandth of a volt below 12v, (as I expected, I got a brand new 1000w psu from corsair). After studying carefully HWmonitor under Prime95 blend, I have found that the tempurature is spiking to above 55c degrees just before hanging, OR sudden shutdown. I believe I need to get a better cooling system. Any suggestions for for a good cpu cooler?

Secret Combo said:
I'm getting my cooling problem resolved with a custom loop, so I'm reading all about those ATM.
I thought you aleady were going to custom water cooling since you brought it up earlier in the thread? And I think earlier we asked about the CASE you have your stuff in because that surely determines what sort of cooling will fit. i don't see CASE shown in sigature.

RGone...

EDIT:
A kit like this is already sorted out in general. All the pieces come with on shipping charge instead of buying something at one place and paying shipping and another piece somewhere else and paying another shipping charge. What to use for water cooling is really just TOO dang biased by individual preference most of the time. What most of us that have W/Cooled for a long time use is a combo of parts put together over years of use. Good idea? Maybe not for entry into W/Cooling. A good to pretty good Kit saves some wear and tear on one's ambitions to get up and going. You need a 3 fan type radiator to have nearly enough cooling "capacity". The Kit below has that. Money you are thinking to spend would make a big difference in what one might recommend but TOO cheap and you are still in the same weak cooling boat.

XSPC RayStorm 750 RX360 Water Cooling Kit

RGone...Again.
END EDIT.

Last edited:
Back