• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best 3d bluray player software solution?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MarcusarilliuS

Hey guys,

Looking for the best solution for playing 3d blurays.
Bought power dvd but it was causing random artifacting and BSOD's.
See my thread here about it..

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7321917#post7321917

Anyway, installed windvd and was perfect, no issues. So was definitely power dvd.
I was reading about some issues people were having with the full version of windvd that the trial doesn't have, so not wanting to buy a dodgy bit of software and have to go looking for another refund I said I 'd ask here to see what solutions you guys are using to play 3d bluray discs.

I am not interested in ripping them and playing the files or mounting an iso as I just want to run them from the discs.
Also need something that can output an interleaved signal for my passive 3dtv, and that can merge SBS content in the player, so I can leave the tv in 2D mode and have the software do the conversion, so it just uses the passive filter on the screen without having to put it in 3D mode.

I have VLC and KMplayer but don't think they can play discs, not without some fiddling around anyways. What about media center?

I don't mind paying for a program if I have to, if it is reliable and hassle free.
Any suggestions?

Cheers,

Mark.

BlueRay on PC is neither reliable nor hastle free from what I have found in my research. However, Ill be around to test any suggested software as Id love to improve my setup also.

When it comes to copy-protected retail Blu-rays, most software cannot play them while copy-protection is still in place.

PowerDVD, WinDVD, TotalMedia Theatre can.

Yes WinDVD can handle them well. PowerDVD can be a nightmare to use as it inserts itself everywhere, not just because of compatibility issues. Arcsoft TotalMedia Theatre has a free trial so I would install and compare it to WinDVD.

For some reason, Arcosft has far less issues with ATi than nVidia, so something to keep in mind if you have nVidia.

Cheers guys.

Yea I have nvidia. Might keep using windvd then and see how I go with it.
I did trey TMT but there was the occasional artifact on screen, so maybe that is as you said due to nvidia compatibility not being the best?

Stick with what works ;). The problem with Blu-rays is that software updates are constantly required to play new titles and the worst part of it is if you buy PowerDVD, they really only update PowerDVD for not that long so you constantly have to buy new versions to play new movies.

All software need updates but PowerDVD may have the shortest upgrade cycle plus it runs multiple totally unnecessary services and I remember in the old versions, you could not even deselect it as the default player so it just plain took over as the default player for "everything." :screwy:

But as for new versions, PowerDVD 10 is really the last version half-way manageable. I would test WinDVD and Arcsoft then go with what works.

Cheers :)

Any idea on how the updates are with windvd?
Will it continue to be updated or is it just a scam to keep buying newer versions like powerdvd?

Well, it's not like there are many alternatives for watching official Blu-ray discs. Matter of fact, please post if you find what else is out there.

The thing to remember is that the topic is official Blu-ray discs, not simply unencrypted blu-ray discs, this often gets confused so people think software X can play them without realizing that.

But to answer your question, out of the three we mentioned, PowerDVD's business model is most geared toward new versions. The other two are better about that.

Back