• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best 478 mobo that can support 800fsb+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cryonics

Registered
[SOLVED]Best 478 mobo that can support 800fsb+

Hi guys, first of all. I'm new here but I'm not that newb at overclock.

Im looking for motherboard that fits my qualification:
1. Socket 478
2. Can support fsb 800Mhz+
3. Support HT
3. Highly overclockable
4. AGP 8X
5. DDR-SDRAM
6. Dual Channel

I need motherboard that can really run this
Prescott P4 HT 3.0, 1MB L2 Cache

Don't telling me better not to buy anything that old, I know what I'm doing.

Thanks.

now, the candidate is

ASUS P4P800 Deluxe

5090.jpg

ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe

5042.jpg

abit IC7

5114.jpg

Thanks for the advice guys! now I have P4P800! :attn: with Prescott 3GHz and 6600GT.

it can achieve 3.8 GHz without getting any error, but the heat is incredible :burn:.

Last edited:
hard choice: they could either spend 1.5 times more money on a i875P based mainboard, or could be happy with i865PE based solution knowing that it is not the world’s fastest one.
“revolutionary” ASUS P4P800 solution, which is exactly the first board on i865PE with enabled PAT technology.

Ok, guys I've found my best candidate. ASrock is out of the list now.
  • Abit IC-7
Intel 875P Chipset

• ASUS P4P800 E Deluxe
Intel 865PE Chipset

875P vs 865PE?
many people said that 865 is a little more better than 875?
but now I'm thinking to buy the abit IC7 now.

what do you guys think?

ASUS P4P800 E Deluxe FTW since it is more modern than IC7 and Asus generally made its' 865PE setup equal to 875P.

i got one of them biostar boards... no overclocking but i just got it because the celeron cpu's cost like 6 bucks and it has pci-e x16 that with a gt 430 gives teh pepedee :p

its a nice board make sure you get either ddr2 533 if you have 533 fsb and ddr2 800 if its 800 fsb

What about the Asus P4C800???

I've seen a ton of p4p800s crap out due to mosfets going bad but I have seen p4C800 still kickin.

The Abit AI7 (865PE) and IC7-G MaxII (875P) are personal favorites. I was able to run a 3.4 prescott at 4.1 under water 24/7 on the IC7. The IC7 has a cpu:ram divider problem if you go past 250/200, so it isn't great for high FSB without really good RAM. The AI7 doesn't have that issue.

If you can find them any more, my choices would be the following:

P4C800E Dlx
P4P800E Dlx
IC7-G Max II

I have had experience with all 3 of those and they all kick butt.

The 2 Asus boards can also run Dothan mobile procs with the Asus CT-479 add-in adapter. I built 2 systems with those for my brother some years ago and they are still kicking butt and taking names for him.

Your best bet would be to look on eBay for them since none of those have been manufactured for some years.

Here is what is currently for sale on newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138302

It doesn't look like you can overclock on it though. I got 1 on the way to play around with a Prescott. Got another, very similar to this board, Biostar motherboard which is running a 3GHz Northwood HT. No problems so far.

i got one of them biostar boards... no overclocking but i just got it because the celeron cpu's cost like 6 bucks and it has pci-e x16 that with a gt 430 gives teh pepedee :p

its a nice board make sure you get either ddr2 533 if you have 533 fsb and ddr2 800 if its 800 fsb

now it's Biostar. well, I can't seem to see the spec sheet. can you link it?
but mine is GeForce4 MX440 AGP4x and DDR-SDRAM.

another candidate.. is
P4C800-E Deluxe:
  • i875P
What about the Asus P4C800???

I've seen a ton of p4p800s crap out due to mosfets going bad but I have seen p4C800 still kickin.

P4C 800 E Deluxe

If you can find them any more, my choices would be the following:

P4C800E Dlx
P4P800E Dlx
IC7-G Max II

I have had experience with all 3 of those and they all kick butt.

and Abit IC7
The Abit AI7 (865PE) and IC7-G MaxII (875P) are personal favorites. I was able to run a 3.4 prescott at 4.1 under water 24/7 on the IC7. The IC7 has a cpu:ram divider problem if you go past 250/200, so it isn't great for high FSB without really good RAM. The AI7 doesn't have that issue.

and P4P-800-E Deluxe
ASUS P4P800 E Deluxe FTW since it is more modern than IC7 and Asus generally made its' 865PE setup equal to 875P.

The 2 Asus boards can also run Dothan mobile procs with the Asus CT-479 add-in adapter. I built 2 systems with those for my brother some years ago and they are still kicking butt and taking names for him.

Your best bet would be to look on eBay for them since none of those have been manufactured for some years
I don't really get it how it works?
it's like a socket adapter, right?

945 chipset 478 boards exist. They have PCIE. But I thought it was worth mentioning.

I don't really like s478 with i945 and PCIe. it's just like an experimental motherboard for me.

..make sure you get either ddr2 533 if you have 533 fsb and ddr2 800 if its 800 fsb
hmm.. interesting. now, should the RAM speed is equally same with the FSB?
while P4P800 and either P4C800 and abit IC7 has only DDR1 Technology wich is DDR400/200Mhz or i can barely overclock it to 800? seems impossible 400% overclock :attn:

If you can find a CT-479 and want to have a quick system without having to deal with the heat of a Pressie, that is the way to go, IMO. It is a daughter card that installs into the original socket on the mobo, adapting it to run a Dothan mobile proc. And if you can find a Pentium M 730, processor, you can easily set it to run at a 200 fsb speed as default and should have enough headroom to overclock in the 2600-2800 range with no problems. I used a Zalman 7000 Cu heatsink on 1 build and a Zalman 7700 Cu on the other, which cooled them very well. Just taking a look on eBay, I saw a few 730 procs for less than $10. But, finding a CT-479 will probably be the biggest problem.

If you can find a CT-479 and want to have a quick system without having to deal with the heat of a Pressie, that is the way to go, IMO. It is a daughter card that installs into the original socket on the mobo, adapting it to run a Dothan mobile proc. And if you can find a Pentium M 730, processor, you can easily set it to run at a 200 fsb speed as default and should have enough headroom to overclock in the 2600-2800 range with no problems. I used a Zalman 7000 Cu heatsink on 1 build and a Zalman 7700 Cu on the other, which cooled them very well. Just taking a look on eBay, I saw a few 730 procs for less than $10. But, finding a CT-479 will probably be the biggest problem.

I got that, so the idea is to buy s479 adapter to put in the s478. with Pentium M a.k.a Dothan. why Dothan? i thought that Dothan and Prescott has exactly same 90nm core. as far as i know, 90nm core is getting hotter faster than 130nm core Northwood. And it'll be very hard to find the CT-479 i think.

Even though the Dothan is 90nm it's based on the Core architecture. It is a more efficient processor than the Prescott, which is Netburst architecture. I remember seeing benchmarks with Dothans overclocked to 2.4-2.6GHz & they blew away everything available at the time.

I just sold 2 Abit IC7 Max 3's on eBay from a couple of builds that were several years old. Both boards were still rock solid. I built several computers using them and nor had one issue with any of em. 3 of them are still in use today by clients.

Back