• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best AMD Phenon II X4 955 BE Mobo?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ithinkwierdly

Registered
What would be the best moderately priced mobo for a phenom II X4 955 BE. It can be any price, just not an overkill mobo. I'm a big fan of performance so that'd be a nice add-on. I only have one video card, a Radeon 5850, so i really don't need SLI or Crossfire. Im not planning on using Crossfire or SLI in the future either.
:)
Too much watt consumption. And I don't really know how to flash the bios to update it. So i really don't want to have to. But if anyone knows how to flash, could they tell me where to get some pointers? But it would be awesome, if the mobo didn't need to be flashed.

there are many bios flashing tutorials on the net, and many of the MB manu's have specific instructions on how to flash their boards at their websites....at first it is a bit scarey....

just be careful and take your time....

depending on the age of your MB's bios, you may have to update the bios microcode to have your board recognize the 955 properly,,,,

I am using a DDR2+ board from AsRock (AOD790/128), cheap, clockable, decent board for the price (about $100)....

If you are using an AM3 board, I can't help, I am not there yet....although, I am eyeballing another AsRock pure AM3 board....this one

http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=M3A790GXH/128M

AsRock has put out some decent boards over the years...

laterzzzzz..............

Last edited:
Good choice! one thing I learned as an overclocker is to always have heatsinks on the mosfets with heatpipes connected all the heatsinks. Helps a lot more when overclocking to prevent overheating mosfets or NB.

785g/sb710 = best super budget board, no raid, no crossfire, under 100 bucks

790gx/sb750 = best budget boards, can do dual x8 xfire, full featured southbridge with raid and such, 100-130

790fx/sb750 = best boards money can buy, supports 2 x16 or a third slot at x8, and all the other features minus onboard gfx of the 790gx. 150-200

I prefer the 790gx for price and features. But considering the "expensive" boards, the 790fx's, only cost 150-180, they still arent that bad.

MSI, Asus, Gigabyte, any board with the listed chipsets from these manufacturers will do you fine. Im in love with gigabyte atm, but they are all very similar.

785g/sb710 = best super budget board, no raid, no crossfire, under 100 bucks

The SB710 most certainly does support RAID. It'll do 0 and 1 for sure, just like the SB700 it's derived from; it simply adds ACC support.

I'll also add that the 770-based boards are also worth a look to folks that don't want integrated graphics or native CrossfireX support. Lots of them can be had for $65-$80, and depending on the model, some of them are every bit as good at overclocking as the 790GX/FX boards are. Performance is within 2% of the higher-end chipsets, as well. It's grossly underrated. They can be had with the old SB600, SB700, or SB710 southbridges, depending on the manufacturer and model.

This one from Gigabyte even comes equipped with 8+2 phase power and solid state capacitors all the way around...

Back