• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best AntiVirus and Firewall Combination?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You all should think of better choices than sygate. I mean there is a free version of zonealarm you know. I mean sygate hasn't updated in a while, which could be that it has flaws. Try doing some leak tests to find out how it does. Here is the link to the leak tests http://www.firewallleaktester.com/ .

dja2k

What do you all think of Zone Alarms Security Sweet. I have always liked there firewall can be a bit much for some users but I like the fact its always letting me know when something is going on.

Zonealarm by itself is excellent, but the antivirus the suite uses is not even ranked top ten. The antivirus it uses is from Computer Associates, it is an okay antivirus, but might not protect you from the latest virues, trojans, spyware, etc. If you are one of those users that visits the warez sites, XXX sites, etc., then that is not for you. You need a more powerful antivirus. You could go for something like AVG or AVAST, which do offer a free version, if money is a problem. Yet if you want a good antivirus and have money for it, go with something like Kaspersky 5 (not suite 6) or Bitdefender Pro 8. These two have been working hard in producing fast virus definations to keep the antivirus database up-to-date. By the way Kaspersky and Bitdefender are on thier way to getting 100% catch rate of viruses.

dja2k

JEBUS, I'm scanning my computer wit the free scan at bitdefender and it has found a gang of crap on my comp thus far, looks like some it is having trouble removing. Zone Alarms Anti-Virus can kiss my @SS. Not sure who I'm going to go with now I want good protection but damn the man that more money to spend. Maybe I can just istall the firewall program from zonealarm on my system then one of the free version listed here. Man I feel like I was raped thought I was protected and come to find out I'm not. =(

Running Kaspersky 5 30 day trial pretty nice I must say. Do you think it is worth paying for a antivirus program of use the free ones. I already paid for ZoneAlarm so I have it running just the Firewall and the privacy protection, no virus program. So at leat my 30 bucks is going to somewhat of a good use.

It pays to search, read, learn on OCForums before you buy!

Yes kaspersky is good to pay for it. It is one of the best antiviruses out right now. I would pay for it after the trial ends just so you can see if it worked great for you. There are more things than an antivirus and firewall to complete your protection, but if you think ocforums helps out, go check http://www.wilderssecurity.com/ and see how there is much more you can do to protect your computer. Go see there also how a lot of people will say Kaspersky is a good antivirus.

dja2k

Unless you have a broadband internet connection... you only need Virus Protection. Invest the money in McAfee... it's really good.

Also, for spyware, Spybot S&D is good, and Yahoo! Anti-spy. Using Firefox instead of IE also really helps you from dl'ing viruses, etc..

I use Grisoft AVG (free version) and the Windows XP Firewall. That is all that I have used since XP SP2 came out. It is all free, uses little resources, and updates automatically. Also I have never gotten a virus. It works for me.

The only firewall which deserves the name runs on a physically different computer than the desktop you want to proect. Either a router, a separate Linux router or even another Windows box with a firewall instaleld (but then NO ONE is allowed to sit at that firewalling windows box).
As soon as the firewall and the potential malware runs on the same computer, it's a feel good snake-oil measure, not a firewall.

Love that AVG. Leave the comps folding 24/7 and left the monitor on one day. Got a call from the kids that there was a lot of bad stuff on the monitor (XXX). Told them to turn the monitor off. Went home, put in the AVG (free) and no problem leaving the monitor on. Pop ups, auto links, all are gone. Note to self, send in or buy AVG. Need to contribute to something that works and is offered free to those that can't buy one.

klingens said:
As soon as the firewall and the potential malware runs on the same computer, it's a feel good snake-oil measure, not a firewall.

A remote firewall doesnt do specific program blocking, or ask the user if it's ok for program X to use the internet, or let you know that program X has changed since you last ran it*.

You can block specific ports that programs might use, but if you want to disable the 'phone-home' features of a program than a software firewall on the rig your using is a good way to do so.

*in my admittedly limited experience with remote firewalls.

Lots of malware doesn't come as its own executable but a plugin aka DLL to an existing, legitimate program. Do you suddenly want Iexplore, msn messenger, etc to ask everytime they open a connection?

A firewall running on the PC it tries to protect is useless since malware always can disable or shut down that firewall via local root exploits if nothing else. To do that with a remote firewall you always need a remote root exploit which is magnitudes harder.

klingens said:
Lots of malware doesn't come as its own executable but a plugin aka DLL to an existing, legitimate program.
True, does a virus scanning program not have as good a chance at catching this as a virus scanning dedicated firewall?

klingens said:
Do you suddenly want Iexplore, msn messenger, etc to ask everytime they open a connection?
If I havent updated them or know a good reason for it to be asking, yes and in two clicks that warning will be gone, not to be seen untill the next change in program X. Most software firewalls give you a warning with a 'Do not ask again' option when a program is looking for access, afterwards they are silent until the program in question has been changed.

klingens said:
A firewall running on the PC it tries to protect is useless since malware always can disable or shut down that firewall via local root exploits if nothing else. To do that with a remote firewall you always need a remote root exploit which is magnitudes harder.
Then what would you advise for the user who now only has the NAT firewall of their router as protection? Given both money and space a dedicated firewall is the optimal solution, but lacking both would you advise against a software attempt?
Personally I use both a smoothwall and Sygate Personal and if I have to connect to the net without the smoothie I try to keep the time to a minimum.

Last edited:
wise-skiier said:
Unless you have a broadband internet connection... you only need Virus Protection. Invest the money in McAfee... it's really good.
Actually your only partially correct. It should only be on when your online. When not connected it can be easily left off. I had dailup and got hit, be it a lil slower. Was around the time before SP2. A firewall is recomened even on dial. :D It does not need to be set as a startup service though.

McAfee is not very good at all. I used it for a very long time. The detection is very hit and miss. There has been many many times it went bonkers and broke itself. It is actually only a little bit less about sucking resouces then Norton, least Norton is good about protection. I enjoyed the firewall part of it. That is about the only good part. The scanner is sometimes on the ball. Support sucks, the common reply is reinstall it. Then you encounter the issue of it not unistalling and support mails you a reg hack to get rid of it. Been there done that. Then the issue of it updating and making it not protectiing at all. I used to like the product, then 2004 it got pretty bad. 2005 was not much better, I never completed the full cycle.

Before 2004 it was a pretty good product. Now it is just a name riding on past reputation. The part I did not like about the newer products. Was that it loaded the all suite elements up and all you wanted was one part of it. It is not worth the money, though it (easily) used to be. The time updates come out are far and few between. Viruses spread fast sometimes. Once a week updates is not fast enough. A good AV will update a few times a day. I can think of a few that do.

From a former McAfee user... Kaspersky/Outpost is an easy transition. You will regain the control of your computer. You can set the Outpost just like McAfee to automatically make rules from a database. Also, rules are much easier to get going. McAfee is like running around in circles getting it custom. To many layers to keep control and make rules. There is much better picks for the money. Norton as heavy as it is. Can be a better value. Compared to the prices, Norton gives way more tools and does not have a history of telling users to STFU, reinstall. McAfee live support is also a total joke. How long is a user supposed to wait online for a "live" tech?

I hope you don't see this as an attack. I am hoping your next pick will be a better product. McAfee is not very good anymore. In more then one apsect. I am not a hater/fanboy, just expressing experiances on a product.

Back