• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best AntiVirus and Firewall Combination?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
For those who are still using Sygate - get a different firewall. Symantec acquired Sygate some time ago, then dropped it like a rock. Sygate Personal Firewall is no longer updated, and still has a loopback vulnerability that was never fully addressed.

For the OP: AVG free and ZoneAlarm free.

Anti-virus = Norton Corp

Firewall = router + WinXP firewall, anymore than that is overkill in my book, unless you really need to be hidden, ex. you're a paid assassin, etc. ;)

All in one I would say PC-Cillian IMO is easily the best. For two apps though Antivir and Zone Alarm are what I am personally using. The Antivir program has proven to be good in test scans, and attacking my own system Zone Alarm has done a very nice job, plus I like how many options it has.

jiggamanjb said:
Anti-virus = Norton Corp

Firewall = router + WinXP firewall, anymore than that is overkill in my book, unless you really need to be hidden, ex. you're a paid assassin, etc. ;)

I dunno that I completely agree with this. I do think a router + the built in XP firewall is okay for many, but it doesn't block outgoing traffic, neither does it stealth the ports, so your computer will likely respond to pings and as a result make itself a target for unwanted attention.

TimoneX said:
I dunno that I completely agree with this. I do think a router + the built in XP firewall is okay for many, but it doesn't block outgoing traffic, neither does it stealth the ports, so your computer will likely respond to pings and as a result make itself a target for unwanted attention.

The XP firewall isn't great, I agree with that, but just using a router is all most people need. I run port checks on my systems frequently and this is what I always get, stealthed ports. This is a Dlink router straight out of the box.

24cxh0h.jpg

The new antivir personal pro version, which is in beta, now will include a firewall and works good too. The pc-cillin internet suite 2007, which is in beta as well, will include a firewall that is looking great too. Not to mention, Bidefender Internet Security, looking good. Not to diss, Kaspersky Internet Security 2006, but it needs work. Seems that suites of AV and FW are getting better and better. Don't like Norton nor McAfee because they are hug on resources.

dja2k

Best Firewall Antivirus combo

DEFINITELY NOT ZonaAlarm. Any of you who got swindled into buying their Internet Security Suite should go to their Forum. You will see clearly documented that it's antivirus is incompetent. It even reports some of ZA's own dlls as false positive Trojans, among many others, including software from NETGEAR and ATI's high end video cards. If you look through their Forum, you will see their ridiculous suggestions to fix the "false positives" problem they themselves acknowledge. They want you to unload their latest version and go back to a prior version. The removal is not as easy as you might think. Often you cannot simply use the Windows Add-Remove software tool. They have you go through a bunch of crap and even manual removal. Believe me, I used their free firewall for years and installed it in many customer computers and highly recommended it, but when I purchased their Security Suite, I experienced problems from the initial install. Their technical support is almost non-existent, unless you want to pay for premium support. Very disappointing company! I am now searching for a very good combo and I don't mind paying, if it's worth it.

Best Antivirus & Firewall combination right now is Online Armor ++ which incorporates Emsi dual engines (a2+Ikarus) and a firewall plus some other protections for keyloggers, blacklists, web filtering, etc. It is light on resources and quite powerful.

dja2k

Back