• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best case for modding?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

flowrider

I want to mod my case but the side panels have designs and such in it. If I want to buy a case specifically for modding what should I look for? Steel? Aluminium? Thoughts or suggestions?

personally, i love my antec, however you do have to work around the quick release handle and the locking mechanisms on the hard drive bays. other than that it's a great case with lots of room inside

You should go for an aluminum case if modding is your main thing. Lian Li makes good ones (with a nice plain moddable side), and some of the Cooler Masters are great too.

Its really up to you. I have a chieftec and love the hell out of it. It really brings on a challenge tho to make it not look like anyone else's because the case is so popular :(

Thanks for the ideas everyone. I think that I will definitely look into an aluminium case for my second mod job. I will use what I have now to practice everything that I learn on this site!

I bought the alienware case for $35 at buyextremegear. I see it selling for 125 everywhere else. Great buy and great mods can be done to this case.

WhiteHawk said:
definately aluminum as they are easier to cut. ive heard the lian li cases are very moddable

Not really true. Aluminum is softer and therefore is easier to bend. This makes it more difficult to use reciprocating cutting tools like a jigsaw without warping your side panel. Aluminum is easier to physically cut, cut requires more prep work and caution.
Steel is also easier to burnish/sand off the edges of cuts.

This is my current favorite for modding since it's almost screwless, has non-obstructive fan mounts, and can be completely disassembled if you need to cut a hole of paint a panel.
11-127-015-01.JPG

Especially nice is the meager $27 price tag

Last edited:
Back