• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best cooler for a Pentium D 820

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

niponmonkey

Hello all! My first post on Overclockers forum! Hopefully one of many. I am actually a software guy so I will probably be posting there mostly. My hardware knowledge is sadly limited so that's why I am here asking for your help!

I am currently running a Pentium D 820 2.8ghz on a dell dxp051 mother board.
Maybe thinking about getting a new cooler for my CPU.

current temps - 38'C at idle
53'C after 2 hrs of Half-Life 2 (it only uses one core for gaming)

Keep in mind the computer is in my dining room, and in Japan the Dining is same temp as the outside (now it's winter! very cold!:santa:) but in the summer it will be pretty hot!

So i was thinking the scythe samurai or zipang (maybe too big, I have an XPS 400 case)

Please let me know what you think or if it is even worth it. Much appreciated!

Last edited:
you are prob fine on the stock cooler since you are just running stock clocks. 53 C is not all that bad considering its a pentium D

That's what I was thinking. They say 60'C is the recommended max for the Pentium D. I worry about the summer though...

Thanks for the quick reply!

If the computer is more than a couple months old, be sure to clean it out, it is probably full of dust ;)

Yeah, actually I am quite anal about keeping my computer clean. I go through cans of compressed air like a blonde with a wave in the 90's.

I may end up staying with my stock cooler but just for sh*ts and giggles, do you think a scythe zipand or shuriken cooler would have any problems mounting on a dell XP051 MB?

Thanks

Back