• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

best cpu air cooler for ASUS p5q3 deluxe wifi-AP & Intel Xeon X5470

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

navymech

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year everyone! I have an ASUS P5Q3 deluxe wifi-AP motherboard on the way, as well as an Intel Xeon X5470 (both used and will arrive sometime this week, probably friday). Being that this is an LGA775 board receiving an LGA771 processor, I dont think that the holes line up for the stock 771 cpu cooler. I am sure that there are better models out there anyway that would be more than adequate. Yes, I have ordered the mod stickers also (I ordered 4, and hopefully I will just need one of them). I may also have to edit the bios microcode, but I dont know yet. I will probably also install 2 x 4gb modules of crucial ballistix sport ram (1600 ddr3) in dual channel mode. I will probably not be able to resist overclocking this rig. It will probably have some form of linux installed on it when I am done. The X5470 is a 120 watt processor, and when overclocked will put out some heat. My question is this: what do you think the best cpu air cooler is for this setup? I dont know what will really fit in it, but I have looked at the Noctua NH-D15 & D14. They both look pretty big, but seem to be the heavy lifters in the air cooling world. Other than these 2, could someone recommend me a suitable air cooler that would allow overclocking on the x5470 processor, and fit in this board? Please let me know what you think, as I could use some advice. Thank you.

The Noctuas you mention are top of the line. If their mounting hardware accommodates socket 775 (I assume you checked that) you cannot do better with air. Then the question becomes will one of those fit inside your case? Is there enough room to the side panel to provide clearance because those are about 160mm tall? What is the make and model of your case? In my experience, the if the width of the case is 8" or better (measured across the top panel) then there is room.

Back