• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best fan value these days?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JeremyCT

The Swiftech Helix seems to have good pressure and are nice and quiet and are decently priced at $10/fan, but they don't seem to move a whole lot of air. The Corsair SP120s seem great, but are 50% more expensive than the Swiffies.

My Yates have served me well over the years, but once they get over 1000-1100 rpm they start getting on my nerves a little. Since I'm mining cryptos currently, the system seems happiest temp-wise with the fans at 1200 rpm. I'm wondering if some good fans in either push or pull could outdo my trusty Yate Loons at 1200 rpm in push-pull or offer my less noise for the same performance.

On second review, since I don't spin the Yates real fast, I guess I'm running them them at YL-low type speeds. Maybe the Helix fans would be a nice upgrade after all?

What does the horde say?? :comp:

I'm all voltage control, no PWM ... :( I should've mentioned that.

You think those are better than the Helixes? They're the same price.

I'm all voltage control, no PWM ... :( I should've mentioned that.

You think those are better than the Helixes? They're the same price.

You can still do voltage control on a PWM fan. There's also a non-PWM version.

For just a case fan, yes. For WC, not sure.

These would replace fans on my MCR320 radiator, so yea, I need good WC fans. Better and quieter than my Yates, which apparently isn't too hard to do these days if you're willing to spend the money. I'm wondering if I can get away with something a bit cheaper. Maybe I should just spring for the SP120s.

I am curious about those Swiftest Helix fans though. I'd love to hear from anyone who's pitted them against something else.

Yate Loon maintains about the best $/performance ratio around, and are extremely flexible on voltage control. I run the high speed 140s on my radiators. Between the two dual 280 rigs I have 8 of them. I did just have to replace 4 after about 3 years though.

Humm, just noticed your trying to replace yates. Not sure then.

I figure SOMEONE had to have unseated YL in the value segment by now. Maybe not, lol.

Cougars are nice as long as they are mounted vertically. Very noticeable clicking while horizontal though. I have some hexus that do a good job.

Cougars are nice as long as they are mounted vertically. Very noticeable clicking while horizontal though. I have some hexus that do a good job.

I've mounted mine in both orientations. Never noticed a sound difference.

Akasa Vipers are 13 bucks a fan. I have those and the Swiftech Helix in my system and the Akasa is the clear winner. They move a ton of air.

I bought 6 of these a month ago and they sound as good as my GT AP 15's. I also have Yates and they're great but they also can be annoying when turned up, though I have the high speed 2200 rpm yates. . Bitfenix Spectre Pro's

Pretty quiet too it looks, though the orange is erg.

But then again, I'm a Noctua fanboi a bit, ya know how those colors are but even if expensive I love the build quality.

Not silent, but they don't have an annoying whine at all. When I bought them I compared them to some Cougar PWMs that I also had. I describe them like this, the Akasas sound like an american muscle car while the Cougars sound like a piece of **** beat down 1990 Toyota Camry with a screw on exhaust pipe from walmart.

Long story short, they don't bother me.

The stats one the EGG must be on idle then I guess.

:D

I didn't think 18 db was too bad, but haven't even bought any in awhile.

*edit* NM should read up first.

Looking through lots of reviews and doing a sort of meta-analysis, it appears that the only option where I'd really notice a difference would be to step up to Gentle Typhoons. They still stand alone in all the testing I can find. AP15s are like hen's teeth, but I think I could score some AP14s for around $16/fan shipped.

If you're paying a premium price, AP-15s even though they will eventually run out and have no warranty anymore or Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12. If I had the money I'd probably go with the B12s. As for the Helix, I personally like them because of the reviews martin has done and the price. I felt they were the best bang if you will for the $10 range. I am sure the AP or NB would make a bigger difference at higher RPM at lower operating levels than the rest.

You could voltage control PWM fans? Not sure if you could do that without damaging since its based on PWM. I know if you tried voltage controlling the MCP-35x that you could damage the pump if I recall correctly.

Gentle Typhoons are nice, have a few laying in some other rigs.

I still like my Noctuas db wise personally, the Typhoons might move a bit more air and just really don't have that built like a rock feel to me, but nice fans.

Kinda wish I had 3 of em on the drive bays bays on this rig instead of the AC's, but that kinda splitting hairs atm and the freaking AC's have been running at least 3 years almost nonstop so can't really gripe about em I guess and are quite if they don't move as much air.

Last edited:
Golden Rule(s) for Fans:

CHEAP + SILENT = NO PERFORMANCE
CHEAP + PERFORMANCE = NOT SILENT
SILENT + PERFORMANCE = NOT CHEAP

+Most SILENT CaseFans are not well suited for CPU-HS-Towers or Radiators

I just picked up some lightly used SP120s from the classies here for a good price. I'll be sure to let you guys know how I feel they compare to the outgoing Yates.

One question. Yates are currently in push-pull. Are the SP120s good enough to mount on just one side you think or should I stick to push-pull?

Back